Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Projected 2016 No.1 Overall Pick Auston Matthews Signs in Switzerland

  1. #1
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,945
    Rep Power
    120

    Projected 2016 No.1 Overall Pick Auston Matthews Signs in Switzerland

    @theScoreNHL: Report: Auston Matthews taking draft season overseas, signs with ZSC Lions http://t.co/L5RZ3tXiHZ http://t.co/yJAxU09Uvq

    The No.1-rated prospect in the 2016 Draft is forging a revolutionary path to the NHL, jumping at the opportunity to earn a salary while honing his craft in Europe.

    Matthews has reportedly signed with the Swiss top division's ZSC Lions, spurning the Western Hockey League's Everett Silvertips and foregoing the opportunity to join a high-profile NCAA program, according to swisshockeynews.ch.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  2. #2
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,780
    Rep Power
    120
    That is an incredibly odd choice.

  3. #3
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,537
    Rep Power
    64
    Good for him. He's good enough to play in a pro league (albeit not a top one) and this makes him eligible for the AHL the day he gets drafted. Plus he gets paid. He probably wasn't going to stay at school for 4 years or take advantage of the CHL's college benefits, so why not make some extra money and live abroad for a year? I hear Zurich is nice.

    Outtake of an article from the Toronto Sun

    "If Auston Matthews wants to play on the moon or in Uzbekistan, it doesn't matter," said Craig Button, TSN's Director of Scouting and a former general manager of the Calgary Flames.

    "He's a stud player. That's not going to change his draft place. He can't go wrong."
    Matthews, however, told NHL.com in a text message later in the day that he was still "looking at all opportunities" -- including playing in Switzerland -- and would be making a decision soon.
    Last edited by Cash or Czech?; 05-11-2015 at 06:50 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,559
    Rep Power
    114
    Way odd
    Not sure if I'm a fan of this

  5. #5
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,743
    Rep Power
    187
    I love it. Finally some one with the balls to say the system fucking sucks. He either had to go the cumbersome NCAA route or the CHL route with massively long bus rides and a total dictation of where he would play. Good for him.

  6. #6
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,743
    Rep Power
    187
    I wonder how much he'll make? Really, Europe has no troubles developing high end talent, and he'll have very good coaching in Switzerland. And it's not Prince Albert so good for him.

  7. #7
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,945
    Rep Power
    120
    It isn't a crazy move if you look at what he's done relative to Eichel.







    In that respect you can assume his NCAA numbers would be similar, and therefore going overseas to face tougher competition may be a move he wants to entertain.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  8. #8
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,359
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I love it. Finally some one with the balls to say the system fucking sucks.
    Absolutely.

    Play a year there, get paid, and then go straight to the A. Why more players wouldn't do this is beyond me.

  9. #9
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,559
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    It isn't a crazy move if you look at what he's done relative to Eichel. In that respect you can assume his NCAA numbers would be similar, and therefore going overseas to face tougher competition may be a move he wants to entertain.
    He's put up better numbers than Eichel on the U.S. Team, and is expected to go 1st next summer.

    But still not the level of prospect Eichel is, not near the ceiling.
    Example, what Eichel is doing at the IIHf right now I wouldn't expect to be replicated by this guy next summer

  10. #10
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,743
    Rep Power
    187
    Yeah, I feel the same, Eichel is physically ready for pro hockey, this other kid doesn't have the same body.

    Eichel's only had one good game over there though, He hadn't done much till the Slovakia game.
    Last edited by Dunny; 05-12-2015 at 01:21 PM.

  11. #11
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Didn't think happen because he was born a few days late to be eligible for this year's draft? I remember hearing that somewhere, and to make it worse for him, he's from the AZ area and they had the third pick this year....

  12. #12
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,559
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Yeah, I feel the same, Eichel is physically ready for pro hockey, this other kid doesn't have the same body.

    Eichel's only had one good game over there though, He hadn't done much till the Slovakia game.
    He lead the team (forwards) twice in ice time.
    Everything I've read Dunny is that he looked a tad lost first game or so, and since then has been outstanding.
    Hell, he's their number 1 centerman over there.

  13. #13
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Not a big accomplishment, look at the roster...

    http://www.iihfworlds2015.com/en/teams/#USA

  14. #14
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,559
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not a big accomplishment, look at the roster... http://www.iihfworlds2015.com/en/teams/#USA
    Iknow, that's why it's happened for team USA....well never
    Pete, he's a undrafted player who's been one of the top players for team USA last few games.

    Please don't say that's not a accomplishment Or just read what reporters and other NHL players are saying last 3 days about it
    Last edited by Puck Head; 05-12-2015 at 02:32 PM.

  15. #15
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Iknow, that's why it's happened for team USA....well never
    Pete, he's a undrafted player who's been one of the top players for team USA last few games.

    Please don't say that's not a accomplishment Or just read what reporters and other NHL players are saying last 3 days about it
    Relax. It was more on indictment of the shittyness of the US roster.

    You really need to chill with the Eichel stuff, dude. It's like worse than me with DZ.

  16. #16
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,945
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    He's put up better numbers than Eichel on the U.S. Team, and is expected to go 1st next summer.

    But still not the level of prospect Eichel is, not near the ceiling.
    Example, what Eichel is doing at the IIHf right now I wouldn't expect to be replicated by this guy next summer
    So what makes Matthews a less and not equal for surpassing Eichel's offensive numbers? In terms of build they are practically identical.

    It depends on who you ask because obviously different scouts are partial but I think there will be more Matthews buzz next year. From what I have watched of him, I think he's not too far off Eichel. But I don't have as much experience as others so I appreciate other insight.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  17. #17
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,559
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    So what makes Matthews a less and not equal for surpassing Eichel's offensive numbers? In terms of build they are practically identical.

    It depends on who you ask because obviously different scouts are partial but I think there will be more Matthews buzz next year. From what I have watched of him, I think he's not too far off Eichel. But I don't have as much experience as others so I appreciate other insight.

    Mathews can develop quite a bit in a year so who knows.
    But Eichel is simply a world class skater, and that is something Mathews doesn't have yet.
    Points at one level don't equate at the next level.

    McDavid isn't what he is because of what he's doing in the CHL, he is what he is because he has the tools to take that to the NHL.

  18. #18
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,945
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Mathews can develop quite a bit in a year so who knows.
    But Eichel is simply a world class skater, and that is something Mathews doesn't have yet.
    Points at one level don't equate at the next level.

    McDavid isn't what he is because of what he's doing in the CHL, he is what he is because he has the tools to take that to the NHL.
    Right. I wasn't clear. Was asking what are major differences because it seems Matthews had easier time. Was it competition, team? I see Matthews as a playmaker where Eichel uses skating to motor way to net. Finesse opposed to power might be best look IMO.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  19. #19
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,780
    Rep Power
    120
    http://www.everettsilvertips.com/art...ally-in-europe

    Seems like it's finally been confirmed.

  20. #20
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,777
    Rep Power
    359
    I read a tweet from someone earlier about him making $400K per year there. I wish I could remember who from.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •