Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Do You Even Watch The Games?: A Clearinghouse For All [Advanced] Statistics

  1. #1
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,948
    Rep Power
    120

    Do You Even Watch The Games?: A Clearinghouse For All [Advanced] Statistics

    Stats are a big portion of debate here, and after some thought I felt like creating this thread to cover the spread. There are tons of numbers used on here, and it is great to have good resources to back up a perspective or argument. I use them all the time here and elsewhere and I thought it would be great to compile them all based on category. If I missed any, feel free to add it by following the template I am using below.

    Standard Player Stats

    1) NHL.com: The standard that everyone knows. Features all the usual stats, and the advanced stats.

    2) The Hockey News: Good for individual player reports through the use of the forecaster tool.

    3) Hockey-Reference: A great resource that has a ton of information, and allows you to run queries. If you want to know how many goalies have ever won 40 games, recorded a GAA under 2.00 and above a .930 save percentage in the same season, this is the site for you.

    4) HockeyDB: Another database with quality information, but not great for a query bases search. It contains a number of interesting lists, attendance information and other related info.

    5) QuantHockey: Another solid database of knowledge that contains interesting stats sorted by nationality, player status and other parameters.


    Prospect Stats


    1) Elite Prospects: Expansive listing of information on prospects and players at almost every level of hockey.

    2) Future Considerations: Great resource for draft prospects, and it includes reports on most players from scouts, rankings, draft profiles and updates lists.

    3) My NHL Draft: Known for mock drafts, but it includes prospect profiles, scouting reports and tons of information on current and past drafts.

    4) Hockey’s Future: Decent site with good overall listing of team prospects. Evaluations aren’t always the most spot on.


    Advanced Stats


    1) War-on-Ice: The best attempt at recreating Extra Skater. It contains usage charts, charts on shots and where they are located, info on where goalies are most vulnerable, where forwards suppress/allow shots from etc. If you have free time and feel like diving through data, this is a place you can have some fun. They also just added a new tool which allows you to find player comparables based on a number of fields. Cap Geek used to have this for contracts, and that may be coming as the boys at WOI are also building a worthy tribute to Cap Geek with a number of programmers. But here is the new tool I just mentioned. http://war-on-ice.com/similarity-scores.html

    2) Puckalytics: A newer version and a better GUI than stats.hockeyanalysis.com. This site has a tool called SUPERWOWY. It stands for with/without so basically how Player X is with Player Y. You can load up to 6 players a side, and you can also add opponents. So if you wanted to see how line 1 has matched up against line 2 in matchups since the start of the 2007-08 season you can. This is another fun tool that can help you learn some of the stats, or just see how well certain players have played.I have found by playing around with these tools I have gotten a better understanding. It helps to look at some of the better players in the league and see their charts first and then dial it back so you have a point of comparison. Obviously it is easy to get inundated with numbers, so the multiple view options certainly help.

    3) Sporting Charts: Visualization tool that creates heat maps of shots. Can set parameters and filter as needed.

    4) Puck on Net: Team Advanced Stats which can be sorted by range of dates.

    5) Behind The Net: The classic site that most people know.

    6) HERO Charts: Player usage charts that account for situation and time on ice bias.

    FWD: http://www.ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/20...ngs-optic.html

    DEF: http://www.ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/20...ing-optic.html


    Primers for Advanced Stats

    http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2013...-corsi-fenwick

    http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2013...g-stats-part-2


    Financial Stats


    1) Spotrac: Player contracts, clauses and yearly salaries broken down by team.

    2) NHL Numbers: It is The Nation Network’s listing of information. They are trying to make some changes, but an alternative and useful resource.

    3) Cap Central: Hockey Buzz’s offering, but allows for filtering on primary page from high to low.

    4) General Fanager: Promising site that just launched, and could be the best offering since the loss of Cap Geek. It is promising, and one to tab and follow as it continues to develop.


    MISC

    1) Scouting The Refs: Stats on referees, linesmen and detailing of penalties called, records of games they call etc.


    If I missed anything, let me know in the comments and myself or a MOD can added it to the OP.

    Cheers.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  2. #2
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Great job on this, Tom. I'm gonna sticky this for a while.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #3
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438

  4. #4
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No need — he used all the old data from that thread and updated here. Just let the old one fall off into the event horizon.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #5
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    3,853
    Rep Power
    32
    will be interesting to see if larry runs and analytics article in the next 24 hours.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    jjweimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    1,180
    Rep Power
    22
    I really like this mostly because I don't understand a lot of the graphs and all shown. I know it's for proving a point and using stats to show what you mean. I completely agree with supporting your argument but now that I know where to look to find out what certain stats or symbols mean I can better decipher a chart or graph and come up with my own opinion based on that stats shown. Thank you!

  7. #7
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,948
    Rep Power
    120
    No problem. I just think playing around and looking at these numbers can be fun. Allows for current context and for any historical stuff if you fee the need to do so.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  8. #8
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by jjweimar View Post
    I really like this mostly because I don't understand a lot of the graphs and all shown. I know it's for proving a point and using stats to show what you mean. I completely agree with supporting your argument but now that I know where to look to find out what certain stats or symbols mean I can better decipher a chart or graph and come up with my own opinion based on that stats shown. Thank you!
    Well, to be fair, people should still be using these graphs as supplements and explaining how their point relates to them, not just posting them and saying "see?"

    Because no, I don't. Analytics are not common place yet, so it's naïve, and borderline pretentious, to assume people just "get it".


    "Rick Nash is not very good.

    <chart showing Nash sucks>

    As the chart shows, Nash couldn't score with a fist full of fifties in a five-dollar whore house."


    As opposed to:


    "<chart showing Nash sucks>

    See?"
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #9
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,333
    Rep Power
    351
    General Fanager is really nice and well laid out, some bugs, but it's the closest thing I've seen to CapGeek so far. They also have the status of each team's draft picks, which is something I would be hard pressed to find in the past.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    jjweimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    1,180
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, to be fair, people should still be using these graphs as supplements and explaining how their point relates to them, not just posting them and saying "see?"

    Because no, I don't. Analytics are not common place yet, so it's naïve, and borderline pretentious, to assume people just "get it".


    "Rick Nash is not very good.

    <chart showing Nash sucks>

    As the chart shows, Nash couldn't score with a fist full of fifties in a five-dollar whore house."


    As opposed to:


    "<chart showing Nash sucks>

    See?"
    I agree and these sites help me figure it out. At the same time a reasoning or analysis to the point is or should be IMO expected

  11. #11
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    General Fanager is really nice and well laid out, some bugs, but it's the closest thing I've seen to CapGeek so far. They also have the status of each team's draft picks, which is something I would be hard pressed to find in the past.
    Not bad. Lots of UX fixes to be done, but they've got the general principle down pat, and the actual design layout is nice. Much calmer and easier to deal with than most of the faux CapGeek sites that kind of rose up coming out of CapGeek's shut down.

    Don't wanna turn this into a web design etiquette thing, but simple things like understanding how to use cell background colors to differentiate columns and cells is critical.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #12
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Amazing that the icon for an NTC is a chain and for an NMC an anchor.

  13. #13
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Amazing that the icon for an NTC is a chain and for an NMC an anchor.
    Thought the same. Very clever. Love the anchor especially.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #14
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,948
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    General Fanager is really nice and well laid out, some bugs, but it's the closest thing I've seen to CapGeek so far. They also have the status of each team's draft picks, which is something I would be hard pressed to find in the past.
    It launched yesterday I believe. I saw it on Twitter and said man this could be nice.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Greenday4537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    896
    Rep Power
    9
    I use nhl.com and hockery reference.

    For the regular season, http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html is a lot of fun. It'll tell you who to root for to maximize our odds to make the playoffs, probability of seeding, probability of post-season opponent in Round 1, and if your team is going to miss the playoffs, probability of that seeding and who you want to win in order to get a better pick.

  16. #16
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,464
    Rep Power
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    General Fanager is really nice and well laid out, some bugs, but it's the closest thing I've seen to CapGeek so far. They also have the status of each team's draft picks, which is something I would be hard pressed to find in the past.
    Mirtle tweeted this out yesterday so I took a look. They didn't have Talbot under contract then. They do now, so they are at least very responsive when they have issues, but their cap data is also suspect until we see through repeated use that their numbers are correct. A good start though. Hopefully their tools will be good.

    The draft pick stuff is good. I didn't realize our 1st next year in the Yandle deal was lottery protected.

    Edit: They also have Conor Allen and Jason Missiaen as a UFA (IV) where is NHLnumbers.com has him as an RFA.
    Last edited by AmericanJesus; 05-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.

  17. #17
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Well, General Fanager just got a huge rub:

    @Sportsnet: Salary cap information site @generalfanager hopes to carry on legacy of CapGeek http://t.co/RoAMG0s398 http://t.co/IMc4rFLOtb

    Looks like they're gonna be the next CapGeek, whether they want to or not.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #18
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,333
    Rep Power
    351
    It was also mentioned in a Puck Daddy post today.

  19. #19
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,464
    Rep Power
    324
    War On Ice just launched their cap features:

    http://war-on-ice.com/cap/

    They have a buyour/recapture tool, as well:

    http://war-on-ice.com/buyout.html

  20. #20
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,948
    Rep Power
    120
    New tool worth checking out. Same guy who made the HERO charts.

    https://twitter.com/mimicohero/statu...58256161058816
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •