• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Air Conditioner Help Needed

jjweimar

We just had the landlord put in a new A/C unit in our apartment. Our old one had no filter left and wasn't working well at all. My problem is the living room and kitchen get nice and cool. However, our bedroom which is around the corner of the hallway just stay's ridiculously warm. Like 78 degrees at night. We've tried turning the AC off at night opening windows, using fans to blow the air up. Also tried changing the direction of the AC vents. It really sucks because we both like it cold to sleep in and i've been waking up regularly because i'm sweating so much. If needed I can try to describe the layout but if anyone has advice please let me know.

You can't buy a small window unit for your room?

They also make these portable indoor ACs. You still need to vent the air but they usually come with a window adapter so there is nothing hanging off the window (if thats the problem and reason why don't get one for the room). Only downside is they're a little more expensive than conventional window units.

http://img2.wfrcdn.com/lf/47/hash/1157/426761/1/Portable%2BAC%2B%252F%2BRemote%2BControl%2B%25289%252C000%2BBTU%2529.jpg

Yeah we're not allowed to have anything in the windows. I tried putting the fans in several different locations so far with little luck, it's been the most successful so i'll continue that if possible. I don't mind the portable indoor AC unit. I keep my living room at 70 and to go to bed at 78 is bad. Thanks so far for the help

1 box fan pointed towards the bedroom near the end of the living room and another stand up fan at the end of the hallway pushing that air towards the bedroom. I'm not sure I may look into getting a house soon enough anyways, just obnoxious things about apartment living.

Yeah we're not allowed to have anything in the windows. I tried putting the fans in several different locations so far with little luck, it's been the most successful so i'll continue that if possible. I don't mind the portable indoor AC unit. I keep my living room at 70 and to go to bed at 78 is bad. Thanks so far for the help

Convince your wife that sleeping naked is the way to go.

I think I'll keep her to myself.

I've semi corrected the problem and moved the remote to the bedroom which if I set it to remote sensing on, it waits until that room gets to that temperature until the ac turns off until it goes 2 degrees over. Funny thing is the living room is freezing because of that and about 66 degrees which I don't mind myself. Thanks guys if anyone has more info how to best circulate the air in here to get it around a corner from the far side of the room that would be my best solution.

I think I'll keep her to myself.

I've semi corrected the problem and moved the remote to the bedroom which if I set it to remote sensing on, it waits until that room gets to that temperature until the ac turns off until it goes 2 degrees over. Funny thing is the living room is freezing because of that and about 66 degrees which I don't mind myself. Thanks guys if anyone has more info how to best circulate the air in here to get it around a corner from the far side of the room that would be my best solution.

You could invert a box fan to suck air out of your room so that it cools off first. I have two in my window and a ceiling fan above and it is perfect for me.

I think I'll keep her to myself. I've semi corrected the problem and moved the remote to the bedroom which if I set it to remote sensing on' date=' it waits until that room gets to that temperature until the ac turns off until it goes 2 degrees over. Funny thing is the living room is freezing because of that and about 66 degrees which I don't mind myself. Thanks guys if anyone has more info how to best circulate the air in here to get it around a corner from the far side of the room that would be my best solution.[/quote']

Keep her to yourself? That's being selfish

What's central air gonna run you? $7k? Assuming you've got ductwork done.

Jesus. I hope not. Small house, They would just use existing central heat ducts I assume, unit would be about 2 grand + labour. Don't scare me.

We have a similar problem in my house. It's old with radiator heat, no duct work and plaster walls. We were told central air would be a small fortune because of this. We have one cutout in the house for an AC unit, but it's in a dinning room that has bends to the kitchen and the living room and of course, does nothing for the 2nd floor. We also have pretty new windows and my wife didn't want to put window units in and risk messing them up. So we have 3 indoor ACs, one for the living room and one for each bed room. Not being able to put anything in the windows kind of sucks. The in room exhaust vents are very light weight, but you'd still have to check with your land lord on that.

Running the AC up high is going to kill you on electric. We used box fans and they worked OK for spreading the colder air, but no where near as good as when we invested in the in room units. They just don't push the air as far as it needs to go. You could, I guess, try a small cracking of the windows in your room to try to create air flow that pulls from the rest of the house along with the box fans. Might help a little. Also, close any rooms you don't care about. So if you have a bathroom along the path the air needs to go to your room, close that door at night. Every little bit helps.

Ideally, you'd need about 23k BTU to really cool that off.

I ran into the same issue. My apartment is a duplex and my living room/dining room have ridiculously high ceilings. The problem is I have a sleeve in the wall and the power is only 110. The most I can have is 12k BTU's. The couch is right in front of the AC, so it'll be decent, but it'll never be what is want it to be

You'll never get enough air moving towards that room, unless you line a box fan down the hall, every 3 feet. Get the portable that Scags mentioned, I have one for the far bedroom of my house, that's my central air doesn't get quite as cold, for my house guests. The vent goes on the inner part of the window and does not stick out past the screen.

You'll never get enough air moving towards that room, unless you line a box fan down the hall, every 3 feet. Get the portable that Scags mentioned, I have one for the far bedroom of my house, that's my central air doesn't get quite as cold, for my house guests. The vent goes on the inner part of the window and does not stick out past the screen.

That's a good point. Your landlord might not want anything stuck in the window that sticks out and can potentially fall, but these units are inside the screen. We did have the heat melt some of the paint on the window sill, so you might want to put down something to protect that. We put a wash cloth down under it and that did the trick.

Archived