Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: NYR [LW] Mats Zuccarello Suffered Brain Contusion; Expected to Make Full Recovery

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Suffering a concussion does not make someone more susceptible to suffering another. What it does is increase the likelihood of serious damage the more they suffer them. Every concussion suffered is a type of brain damage, so the greater the frequency and intensity of them, the worst the symptoms and suffering.

This is information coming from my cousin, who is a doctor. Neonatal, but still has a general knowledge better than we do.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Suffering a concussion does not make someone more susceptible to suffering another. What it does is increase the likelihood of serious damage the more they suffer them. Every concussion suffered is a type of brain damage, so the greater the frequency and intensity of them, the worst the symptoms and suffering.

This is information coming from my cousin, who is a doctor. Neonatal, but still has a general knowledge better than we do.
    Might want to check on your cousins degree
    Just kidding of course.

There is a massive amount of information regarding concussions.
    To coach high school sports, and with USA hockey certain levels, you are required to take a class on sports concussions.

That being said, pretty much every website I look at says the same thing.

Research suggests that if someone has already received one concussion, they are 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If they've had two concussions, then a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they've had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion.
    http://www.concussiontreatment.com/c...cts.html#sfaq8
    The risk of concussion in football is three to six times higher in players who have had a previous concussion....
    http://www.aans.org/patient%20inform...oncussion.aspx

The second from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (I had to respell that around 8 times Phil)

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    There was a player on my son's football team (age 13)....
    Received concussion. No big deal, in this day and age they know to pull him out of football until the Dr gives the green light.

Well, that Monday, riding bus from school, yapping like a 13 year old does, drive locks up breaks, he was unbalanced and slams head into the bar on seat in front of him....
    I think it's called SIS, (some syndrome)....but he's done...forever in regards to contact sports.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    From what she said, it's not that you are likely to suffer another. It's that if you do, your brain is already damaged, so the intensity of the second, third, etc. are worse.

The damage caused by every successive concussion is worse, which is why guys in sports who suffer more than three tend to lose their careers. Doctors won't clear them because of the risk of death, stroke, etc.

Of course I/she could be wrong. I'm certainly not a doctor. And she doesn't work in neural sciences consistently.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Like I said...the only thing we know for fact is that some players have 1 concussion and never have another. Some players have 1 and their career is over.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    I've had 4 concussions from hockey. I'm certainly not going to go by what doctors told me about them 25 years ago. I actually suffered one in 2011 as well, so that's 5. I was cleared in 2-3 weeks.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    NHL.com Zuccarello Update posted last night.

"I got an email from our medical staff last week, everything is coming along fine and he should be 100 percent, I was told, by the beginning of August," Vigneault said.
    "For a while there he was making real good strides and he kept making strides, but obviously a puck to the head and you lose part of your speech is a serious injury," Vigneault said. "Our docs did a great job and he was coming along real well."

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Top class guy - Zuccs giving some time this summer to charity work in Tanzania

https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xt...f8&oe=55C3892A

Deleted Midget Division
    Anyone have a link/video of the standing ovation MZA got in the playoffs in the press booth?

Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    Anyone have a link/video of the standing ovation MZA got in the playoffs in the press booth?
    I think it's in one of the GDTs. He looked like a zombie.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Health wise as of right now, Zuc is fine. Fully recovered. He's home, he's training, he's skating. How he plays when the season starts is anyone's guess.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division
    It's just a matter of if he will change the way he plays. Zuccarello goes to the dirty areas of the ice pretty frequently, and rarely takes his size (or lack of it) into account. We won't know if this injury will change the way he plays or not, or change how aggressive he is.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieNextel305 View Post
    It's just a matter of if he will change the way he plays. Zuccarello goes to the dirty areas of the ice pretty frequently, and rarely takes his size (or lack of it) into account. We won't know if this injury will change the way he plays or not, or change how aggressive he is.
    That's what my last sentence meant. Thank you for elaborating.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Midget Division
    I tried looking, and only found old info. But if Zucc by any chance gets another concussion and his career is over, what happens with his contract? Does his cap hit stay? Sorry to ask others to do the homework.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    He would go on LTIR. No cap hit.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526