• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Need Help with Baby Strollers

Phil

Wife and I have been looking at these for a while now. My mother-in-law and father-in-law want to buy us one, so we've been trying to figure out which one we like most that's also not $889 like the UPPAbaby Vista.

Whatever we get needs to be able to handle NYC sidewalks/streets and going up and down steps quite a bit. We don't have a car, so the car aspect of things is less of a concern, though not entirely unimportant. We've been looking at ones in the $350~ range with a few key features we feel are important considering where we live and how we live:

1. Larger wheels. Kids coming in September/October, so with winter right around the corner, the larger tire-style wheels are far more appealing than the smaller rubber/plastic type

2. Weight. Something like the Graco Aire3 is great because the whole things is like twenty pounds, where the Baby Trend Expedition ELX is closer to 40. We live on the second floor of our apartment, so weight is a concern. I'm not sure 40 pounds is a deal-breaker, but I'm also trying to think of times my wife will be the one lugging it alone.

3. Kids' tray. Wife seems to really like this feature for when the kid is front-facing and a little older. Obviously it's good for toys/food, where something like the Graco Aire3 only has a cup-holder.

4. Price. We've been looking at $350 or less just because this is coming from my in-laws who are not rich. My father-in-law has more money than my mother-in-law, but I still don't feel comfortable sending them a link to some $500+ system and saying "here, we want this" and just expecting them to find the cash. My mother-in-law especially can't afford this kind of investment.

--

Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like we're going in circles looking at various models.

Here's all the model's we've been going back-and-forth over the most:

Baby Trend Expedition ELX Travel System Stroller - Spearmint

Graco Aire3 Click Connect Travel System Stroller - Gotham

Graco FastAction Fold Jogger Click Connect Travel System Stroller - RoadRunner

Buy the stroller that fits the car seat. Oh wait, do you have a car?

I just gave away 2 new strollers about 3 months ago. Hardly used. Sorry bro, bad timing.

Also, don't go crazy on the clothes, outfits, etc. They grow out of things at a rapid pace. It's a waste of money. We've given away thousands of dollars worth of clothes with the fuckin tags still on them.

Buy the stroller that fits the car seat. Oh wait, do you have a car?

I just gave away 2 new strollers about 3 months ago. Hardly used. Sorry bro, bad timing.

Also, don't go crazy on the clothes, outfits, etc. They grow out of things at a rapid pace. It's a waste of money. We've given away thousands of dollars worth of clothes with the fuckin tags still on them.

To piggy back, keep tags on everything, only wash what he's going to wear, return the rest promptly.

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-select/

It's a little pricier, but it's expandable if you have another kid.

We use it with this:http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/cybex-aton-2-infant-car-seat-in-charcoal/1042337621

So the stroller can accommodate 2 carriers, or a kid and a carrier.

Too expensive. That's an $800 combination. That's why we've been looking at Travel Systems as all-in-ones.

Too expensive. That's an $800 combination. That's why we've been looking at Travel Systems as all-in-ones.

You don't have to buy that exact one LOL.

The 3 wheeled one's I've heard aren't safe.

You should just go to Buy Buy Baby or Babies R Us and ask for a registry consultant. They make really helpful suggestions. All I'd say is to make sure you get an expandable one in case you have another kid, and to buy one with a high safety rating. Eventually, the kid will be in some type of car, and it matters.

You don't have to buy that exact one LOL.

The 3 wheeled one's I've heard aren't safe.

You should just go to Buy Buy Baby or Babies R Us and ask for a registry consultant. They make really helpful suggestions. All I'd say is to make sure you get an expandable one in case you have another kid, and to buy one with a high safety rating. Eventually, the kid will be in some type of car, and it matters.

Based on what, tipping?

I may do just that though — the registry consultant thing.

Yea. Just not as stable. I wanted that and got nixed.

Gotcha. I know Kristin liked that idea for "maneuverability". If it's less safe though, that's gonna draw my concern.

We went with Britax everything too. In addition we also have a BOB babyjogger. IMO some/most Babyjoggers are too wide for NYC streets, you'll be bumping into pedestrians all the time. My wife was suppose to use the babyjogger for actually jogging in the park but she's used it twice.

http://www.bobgear.com/

This is true — neither of us are actually joggers anyway. So maybe we're looking at all the wrong systems?

Gotcha. I know Kristin liked that idea for "maneuverability". If it's less safe though, that's gonna draw my concern.

This is true — neither of us are actually joggers anyway. So maybe we're looking at all the wrong systems?

Babyjoggers are good, easy maneuverable just a little wide. Probably a lot better in the burbs rather than city streets.

I think this is the Britax that we have. Ours is almost 4 years old so this would be a newer model.

http://www.britaxusa.com/strollers/b-ready

Car seats expire. Quickly. Maybe this is just a Canada thing, but I can't re-sell my fancy used ones because they are near expiry.

It's not a Canada thing. They expire here too. Also, if they're involved in an accident, they should be discarded.

The more I look at Baby Jogger, Pete, the more I like it. I love the way they basically allow you to use any carrier you want (the major ones) with an adapter. Plus additional little accessories like "Parent console", "Liquid holster", etc.

The more I look at Baby Jogger, Pete, the more I like it. I love the way they basically allow you to use any carrier you want (the major ones) with an adapter. Plus additional little accessories like "Parent console", "Liquid holster", etc.

http://www.babyjogger.com/image/cache/data/products/accessories/cooler-bag-b-350x350.jpg

Archived