• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Cocktail Time

Respecttheblue

What you got going on?

After a long hard, stressful month I decided to let it hang out a little.

The serendipity started when I decided to go with something different than the tried and trusted Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Went with the Sazerac Rye - try something different.

(Same company by the way, so no loss to them)

First taste on the rocks. "I need search no more." love it.

Next, try to do a classic Sazerac cocktail

I put an ounce of absinthe in the glass, coated it and poured it out, keeping a very generous drip back in the glass (good move)

three dashes of angostura (no peychaud's right now), teaspoon of sugar in the raw (about a cube's worth)

pour in an ounce and a half of Sazerac and mix well

couple of lemon rinds around the rim and drop them in the drink.

I was skeptical how this would turn out.

Result

Wow! One of the best cocktails I've ever had. Not too sweet, complex flavors blending well. Very very good.

Depending on how the playoffs go…this cocktail thing was a one off. If I drink whiskey it's usually on the rocks — and Buffalo trace is the best taste for the buck I've found — or if single malt, then straight up.

Regular is an occasional beer or a glass of wine with dinner.

Drinking Bushmills on the rocks... not as elegant, but effective. Day off work tomorrow, so enjoying Min-Stl and Ana-Wpg

Oh I dunno, I think Bushmills is an excellent product.

I very much dig it.

Only slight problem I see with Bushmills is it's soooo smooooooththat it goes down way too easy:

one, nice, then another, OK and another, and another and before you know it ... weeble-weeble

Depending on how the playoffs go…this cocktail thing was a one off. If I drink whiskey it's usually on the rocks — and Buffalo trace is the best taste for the buck I've found — or if single malt, then straight up.

Regular is an occasional beer or a glass of wine with dinner.

I liked Buffalo Trace a lot, but I liked Eagle Rare better. I think it was cheaper and better

shitty beer

fireball

rumple minze

box wine

but the other day, my gf got a bottle of jameson. mixed it with lemon line soda and a blood orange for garnish. it was damn good.

two days ago, straight jameson with a squeeze of orange. also good.

but deep down, i think i'm a shot and a beer kind of guy.

shitty beer

fireball

rumple minze

box wine

but the other day, my gf got a bottle of jameson. mixed it with lemon line soda and a blood orange for garnish. it was damn good.

Word

If you like Fireball, try the new Jack Daniels Cinnamon/Fire whatever it's called. Same thing but with better whiskey.

I used to be a big hard liquor guy in my younger years, I would go to parties and drink Jager all night. I used to love that stuff and would polish off a bottle a night. I also used to do Blackhouse. Now Im more of a beer guy, but Im really picky with what beer I drink, I love my Jack and Coke, and in the summertimes, I like margarita's, mai tai's and some mixed drinks like that.

And I'm the opposite. Drank beer in college then went to hard liquor as it was much easier on my stomach and I manage to never be horribly hungover even with mass consumption.

I love whiskey and rum. Not a fan of clear liquors like vodka unless it a solo drink on a night out.

Love me some summer dranks to chill out with like pina colada, etc. I'll normally have a hard lemonade/etc or cider while grilling. Variety is endless and fun to test.

Drinking Bushmills on the rocks... not as elegant, but effective. Day off work tomorrow, so enjoying Min-Stl and Ana-Wpg

How is that? Is the burn bad or after taste bad?

Trying to drink some scotch or whiskey when I go out and get away from beer.

Not a fan of Johnny Walker, tried the black label one. Hated it.

Want something with not a bad burn and goes down smooth.

How is that? Is the burn bad or after taste bad?

Trying to drink some scotch or whiskey when I go out and get away from beer.

Not a fan of Johnny Walker, tried the black label one. Hated it.

Want something with not a bad burn and goes down smooth.

Any liquor is higher proof than beer so you're going to notice the higher alcohol content if you try to transition. Make sure to get it on the rocks instead of neat, there will be less 'burn' when the drink is cold instead of room temp. It's probably easiest to start with vodka, because it's the most neutral tasting liquor, and can easily get mixed with fruit juices or cola and dilute the alcohol.

I prefer Irish whiskey (like Bushmills) instead of Scotch or Bourbon, each has its own distinctive flavor. Trial and error until you find what you like is the way to go.

shitty beer

fireball

rumple minze

box wine

:cheers:

These days I have to temper my celebrations (That is code for I need to not drink too much alcohol anymore as I have done about as much damage as a body deserves and it does not mix well with my old fart medications), but I reckon you must be a fun bloke to hang out with :lol:

One of these days I gotta get my arse out of the office and go to one of the BSBH GTG's.

I've been to New Orleans more times than I remember (many great great great memories) Including at least twice since Sandy, and come back close to alcohol and cigar induced death a few of 'em. And never had a Sazerac there, so that means I need to return. At my advanced 50+ age I think the most time I can spend there is 3 days before I am "at risk."

Right now I would like to be in new orleans again.

I'm working on pushing the Sazerac proportions envelope tonight — what's too much absinthe, what's not enough bitters? There are different recipes. Finding the correct ratio.

technically the absinthe is to coat the glass...now, how generously one coats the glass with absinthe is a key. How aggressive are your "dashes" of bitters is another?

The Peychaud's is on order, All Angostura for now, it's still good. But this cocktail is so f'in awesome that I want to get the best possible results, and like cooking, that is with the best possible ingredients.

I have Sazerac Rye, Absente Absinthe, and Angostura, Sugar in the Raw courtesy of Hawaii, and lemons courtesy of mother nature.

I may not make it to game time.

Damn NBC with their 8 pm starts!

The Dos and Donts of Sazeracs

FRIDAY, MARCH 28TH, 2008

sazerac.jpg

The Sazerac has been making a big comeback over the past year. It’s popping up on cocktails menus, bartenders are recommending them to their customers, and it’s even being suggested as an official state drink.

But after being served a warm shot of rye with a drop of Peychaud’s last week at a restaurant here in Eugene, and watching as Paul choked down what looked like a foamy rye Cosmopolitan this weekend, I figured that some pointers might be helpful.

The Sazerac is one of the oldest cocktails in the modern repertoire, but don’t let its unassuming presentation fool you: it is a complex drink that requires attention to detail, proper technique and the right proportions to fully reveal its brilliance.

Do use a single dash of Angostura bitters in your Sazeracs. You’ll be surprised how much this opens up the flavors. While it may enrage some purists, you can always counter with, “If it was good enough for Thomas Handy, it’s good enough for me.”

Do not use orange bitters in a Sazerac. I’ve seen this done and I can’t possibly understand the rationale.

Do stir the drink gently with ice.

Do not shake your Sazerac. Remember, shaking a clear drink is like shaking a baby: first there’s going to be a lot of foam, and then you’ll be staring death in the face.

Do not serve a Sazerac on the rocks.

Do not serve a Sazerac in a cocktail glass.

Do serve your Sazerac neat, in a rocks glass that is large enough to accommodate some breathing room. Your drink will thank you as you swirl it in the glass.

Do not drink your Sazerac in one gulp. It might look like a shot, but someone hopefully put a lot of work into that drink. Sip it, you monkey.

Do not use bourbon in a Sazerac. Only the spiciness of a good rye whiskey will do. Cognac is also acceptable if you’re trying to be historically accurate.

Do use this recipe to make your Sazeracs.

Do squeeze a nice, wide lemon peel over the drink. The oils from the lemon are a crucial component to the cocktail.

Do not drop the lemon peel in the drink. Throw it away after you’ve expressed all the oil.

Do watch this video of Chris McMillian making what looks to me like the perfect Sazerac. Repeat as necessary:

Do not use Pernod to rinse the glass, if you can avoid it. Pernod’s sweetness is going to compete with the sugar in the drink.

Do use Herbsaint, if you can find it, or – even better – a proper absinthe. The higher proof and dryness will make perfect sense to you once you try it.

Do muddle a sugar cube soaked in bitters and a splash of water to sweeten the drink.

Do not let anyone give you grief for using simple syrup in its place. There is no difference between a fully-dissolved sugar cube and simple syrup.

Do send an email to Senator Edwin Murray at murraye [at] legis.state.la.us asking him to approve Senate Bill No. 6, which will designate the Sazerac as the official state cocktail of Louisiana.

Please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Makers. Neat or on the rocks.

In a nice day, nothing wrong with Stolli Orange with pineapple juice...

Had a buddy from Louisville recommend me Makers.

Was a bit disappointed, prefer Buffalo Trace, but will revisit Makers one of these days.

At least Makers has bite, which is sometimes a very necessary quality.

I like Michter's #1 Rye muchly, but gotta say a Sazerac Rye hits the spot more accurately these days,

or better still a Sazerac cocktail with a couple of dashes of Peychaud's and one dash of Angostura, in a glass rinsed with Absenthe. Just fckin amazing.

I was never a cocktail guy (being more of a single malt scotch imbiber), but this al-confection uses trace amounts of bitters, Absenthe and a touch of brown sugar to make the Sazerac explode into a taste buds' sophisticated fireworks display.

Sazerac time again.

In-between playoff rounds refresher

Overseen by the Caped Count of Sazerac

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/WoodySurfDoggie/Whiskey%20and%20Whisky/2015-05-15%2022.13.30_zpsc1uiauhb.jpg

Have heard good things about this drink.

Have heard good things about this drink.

Unfortunately it doesn't take me much of it to get lit up.:doh:

I don't know whether it's the slight amounts of the absinthe and bitters, or just the fact that I'm older now and don't tolerate more than a few as well as I did 20 years ago.

It has one other flaw, because I mix it in a 1.5 oz or 2 oz batch, and it tastes that good, there's a temptation to follow up with a second in short order...and then maybe another shot of rye to "clean out" the residuals in the glass. And if you started with a glass of wine or two before that...you will likely feel it the next morning.:doh:

Archived