• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tech Question

CreaseCrusader91

Right now my job primarily uses a spreadsheet for contact listings. It has phone number, dept info and so on.

Since I have all the data: I think it would be useful to create something that can hosted on an Intranet site.

My question is this:

I know very little when it comes to coding and so on. Is there an easy way to create a search box that will refer to listings based on the entry?

SQL will allow this if I were to create an Access Database and set up the queries, but I was looking for a simpler way.

Any suggestions?

Right now my job primarily uses a spreadsheet for contact listings. It has phone number, dept info and so on.

Since I have all the data: I think it would be useful to create something that can hosted on an Intranet site.

My question is this:

I know very little when it comes to coding and so on. Is there an easy way to create a search box that will refer to listings based on the entry?

SQL will allow this if I were to create an Access Database and set up the queries, but I was looking for a simpler way.

Any suggestions?

Is the intranet set up? If so, what sort of web server is it running on? It's the kind of thing that's super simple to write in a bunch of different scripting languages. You can probably even find the thing already coded online in a number of different languages, where all you'd have to do is change the names of the fields the data is stored in.

Is the intranet set up? If so, what sort of web server is it running on? It's the kind of thing that's super simple to write in a bunch of different scripting languages. You can probably even find the thing already coded online in a number of different languages, where all you'd have to do is change the names of the fields the data is stored in.

A SQL server. The intranet is set up and right now it is primarily used for some reports, a password reset utility and a number of other things.

I don't have access to a lot of it, so I wanted to see what would have to be done before I pitch something etc.

A SQL server. The intranet is set up and right now it is primarily used for some reports, a password reset utility and a number of other things.

I don't have access to a lot of it, so I wanted to see what would have to be done before I pitch something etc.

Well, if it's microsoft base running IIS, then you could use vbscript to connect to what ever data source the information is in. There are different connection strings based on the data source. You can then either create this web based, meaning they'd go to a web page on your local intranet, or you could use windows scripting host to make a small applet that they could use.

You'd need to have the people who run the intranet set up the right permissions to give your users access to the database. Then it'd just be a form that gets processed by a script which then returns the results.

Well, if it's microsoft base running IIS, then you could use vbscript to connect to what ever data source the information is in. There are different connection strings based on the data source. You can then either create this web based, meaning they'd go to a web page on your local intranet, or you could use windows scripting host to make a small applet that they could use.

OK, I will look into this. Thanks.

Archived