Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's 'Deadpool' with Ryan Reynolds

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Well, Gambit is getting more focus. But I see negligible differences between all three characters you're talking about (Deadpool, Gambit, Cable). I mean, Cable's three greatest claims to fame are his influence and involvement in the Days of Future Past story line (which he was not included in), X-Cutioner's Song and his mini-series with Deadpool. Unless you're doing an entire X-Factor or X-Force series where you include him, what else is there to his character that you think people are going to invest in?

Gambit you could probably do an origins story on, similar to Wolverine, and generate some buzz. I'd be behind that just fine. But I guess I just don't really see the appeal behind either of these guys getting the focus over Deadpool. To me they all fit the same marks as characters.

As to your question, have you ever seen Kick-Ass? Same principle.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    I have no idea what Kick Ass is and I have no idea why people are obsessed with Dead Pool. Oh he curses...Whoa.

This is Kick-Ass: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/

Inglorious Basterds and Shaun of the Dead were two other movies I brought up that'd probably have parallels to Deadpool. Sort of dark comedies with excessive violence that's been turned up to comedic levels. Zombieland as well.

As to why people are "obsessed" with him, we've already covered that. He's a total anti-hero. They/we like him because he's not Batman. He's not Superman. He's not the "good guy". In a world of Superman, he's the guy you're least likely to cheer for, because he's a guy you really can't get a read on. He has a foul mouth, is sarcastic as can be, and is ultra violent. He worked as a mercenary before joining the Weapon X program, and has the same regenerative powers as Wolverine, except in his case it reacted negatively with cancer cells in his body causing him to develop scars all over his face and body. That's why he wears the mask and the suit.

But in all honesty, rvbcaboose kind of nailed it earlier when he said that asking why people like him is like asking why they like the Fast and Furious series, or The Expendables. Hell, it's like asking why they like pro wrestling. Because they are larger than life, extraordinary takes on every day life. They are ultra-violent, over-the-top renditions of common story-telling arcs. What's the difference between a character from The Expendables and GI Joe? The ones in The Expendables are fuckin' assholes who you root for anyway. They aren't in it to do the right thing. They're in it for the money, because they love explosions, violence and big ass guns, and are probably, maybe, going to do the right thing anyway.

The analogy will probably be lost on you, but Deadpool is to the comic realm as CM Punk was to wrestling. In a world of Hulk Hogan's telling you to eat your vitamins and say your prayers, he's telling you to fuck off, while simultaneously still somehow being the good guy you cheer for.

Better yet, in a world of Ryan Callahan's, he's Sean Avery. Sloppy seconds, fatso forgot to shake my hand, boarding Nathan Paetsch, threatening to kill Giroux, wearing two different colored contact lenses for team photo shoots, shaving a mohawk into his head for the same, goading guys into fighting him and then not fighting them to draw the call, etc.... and the whole time you're cheering for him, loud as can be.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, Gambit is getting more focus. But I see negligible differences between all three characters you're talking about (Deadpool, Gambit, Cable). I mean, Cable's three greatest claims to fame are his influence and involvement in the Days of Future Past story line (which he was not included in), X-Cutioner's Song and his mini-series with Deadpool. Unless you're doing an entire X-Factor or X-Force series where you include him, what else is there to his character that you think people are going to invest in?

Gambit you could probably do an origins story on, similar to Wolverine, and generate some buzz. I'd be behind that just fine. But I guess I just don't really see the appeal behind either of these guys getting the focus over Deadpool. To me they all fit the same marks as characters.

As to your question, have you ever seen Kick-Ass? Same principle.
    I've been waiting years for something like this to come out, and i'm hoping that will be the first stand-alone movie for Tatum as Gambit in 2016/2017.

This is Kick-Ass: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/

Inglorious Basterds and Shaun of the Dead were two other movies I brought up that'd probably have parallels to Deadpool. Sort of dark comedies with excessive violence that's been turned up to comedic levels. Zombieland as well.

As to why people are "obsessed" with him, we've already covered that. He's a total anti-hero. They/we like him because he's not Batman. He's not Superman. He's not the "good guy". In a world of Superman, he's the guy you're least likely to cheer for, because he's a guy you really can't get a read on. He has a foul mouth, is sarcastic as can be, and is ultra violent. He worked as a mercenary before joining the Weapon X program, and has the same regenerative powers as Wolverine, except in his case it reacted negatively with cancer cells in his body causing him to develop scars all over his face and body. That's why he wears the mask and the suit.

But in all honesty, rvbcaboose kind of nailed it earlier when he said that asking why people like him is like asking why they like the Fast and Furious series, or The Expendables. Hell, it's like asking why they like pro wrestling. Because they are larger than life, extraordinary takes on every day life. They are ultra-violent, over-the-top renditions of common story-telling arcs. What's the difference between a character from The Expendables and GI Joe? The ones in The Expendables are fuckin' assholes who you root for anyway. They aren't in it to do the right thing. They're in it for the money, because they love explosions, violence and big ass guns, and are probably, maybe, going to do the right thing anyway.

The analogy will probably be lost on you, but Deadpool is to the comic realm as CM Punk was to wrestling. In a world of Hulk Hogan's telling you to eat your vitamins and say your prayers, he's telling you to fuck off, while simultaneously still somehow being the good guy you cheer for.

Better yet, in a world of Ryan Callahan's, he's Sean Avery. Sloppy seconds, fatso forgot to shake my hand, boarding Nathan Paetsch, threatening to kill Giroux, wearing two different colored contact lenses for team photo shoots, shaving a mohawk into his head for the same, goading guys into fighting him and then not fighting them to draw the call, etc.... and the whole time you're cheering for him, loud as can be.
    I know all about Deadpool. I like him. But not to the degree some others do.

OK, well I just explained why they do to that degree. It's OK if you don't agree. Sean Avery isn't for everyone.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

OK, well I just explained why they do to that degree. It's OK if you don't agree. Sean Avery isn't for everyone.
    Right, and that's why someone said they found him to be "overrated".

Well, no. CC said he found him overrated because he's everywhere in the comic realm. I don't recall him ever criticizing his character.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Negasonic Teenage Warhead!
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Fucking awesome!!

Deleted Midget Division
    I can't wait to sit down later this year and watch the screener. I love Deadpool.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Holy shit I'm so in. I can't wait for this movie.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    The comic con trailer was solid. Ryan Reynolds tweeted that an official video will be out in 3 weeks.

Senior Member Bantam Division rvbcaboose's Avatar
    This is gonna be interesting.

The trailer seems like they're doing right by the character (to a degree), so thats good. I just hope a good chunk of the movie is actual deadpool stuff and not build up to his character. Thats been one of my criticisms of the Iron Man movies (and the 1st Captain America). Still, i think Reynolds is gonna be a hit for this character. I'm talking RDJ as Tony Stark levels of awesome.
    Hidden Content

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears"

I FUCKING LOVE IT.

This is going to be one of the best movies of next year!!

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbcaboose View Post
    This is gonna be interesting.

The trailer seems like they're doing right by the character (to a degree), so thats good. I just hope a good chunk of the movie is actual deadpool stuff and not build up to his character. Thats been one of my criticisms of the Iron Man movies (and the 1st Captain America). Still, i think Reynolds is gonna be a hit for this character. I'm talking RDJ as Tony Stark levels of awesome.
    I agree. Reynolds is a fit for the Deadpool the way RDJ is a fit for Iron Man.

I think with the trailer they showed at Comic Con they just put together whatever they had ready that fit. Production only ended about 2 months ago and Reynolds said that they're still working on VFX. Hence the actual trailer being in 3 weeks. I think they're relying upon the actual fanbase to know what to expect for the actual film in regards to the build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I agree. Reynolds is a fit for the Deadpool the way RDJ is a fit for Iron Man.

I think with the trailer they showed at Comic Con they just put together whatever they had ready that fit. Production only ended about 2 months ago and Reynolds said that they're still working on VFX. Hence the actual trailer being in 3 weeks. I think they're relying upon the actual fanbase to know what to expect for the actual film in regards to the build up.
    That seems to be the case, considering they used much of the footage from the CG-created trailer that leaked over a year ago. I'd imagine some/most of that will be replaced by real footage from the film for the actual trailer that'll be released.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    I remember reading that the test-footage sequence will be in the movie

As-is? Or re-shot?

It's a great sequence, but it doesn't have the same "polish" as what the rest of the film will probably look like.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast