Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's 'Deadpool' with Ryan Reynolds

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Of course it does. My point is that if you are making the claim that Deadpool is the most over rated character, by then pointing to the fact that the general population doesn't even know who the hell he is, how is he overrated? He's only overrated within a very small niche market of comic book fans, if at all.
    Well the word overrated is correct, IMO, just used in the wrong context. He isn't well known, but those that know him have him rated pretty highly, and I personally don't agree that he's all that interesting. But maybe the person who said he was overrated meant that he's not sure why you guys think he's so awesome, he hasn't even been able to gain as much popularity as some other characters introduced in a similar timeframe, like Spawn, for example.

Spawn is a great parallel for him. Similar characters created around the same time. Deadpool was designed to be a niche market character I'd argue, whereas Spawn really only garnered real interest after the movie (which bombed, if I recall correctly), and the deal McFarlane toys got in producing more and more action figures. The sales of those toys is what kept the interest, not necessarily the comic.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Actually, I think the best character parallel for Deadpool is Ironman, or more appropriately Tony Stark. If you ever found yourself drawn to him, you probably appreciate his sharp wit, his banter, etc. What was the line in the movie? "I'm not even the hero-type"? He's kind of a hero, but mostly a prick. Really sharp-tongued, definitely pompous, a wee bit pretentious. Normally, all character flaws. Yet in his case (Tony's), they're used to draw fans in. Because he's not the do-gooder that Captain America is/was.

Deadpool is Ironman minus the machinery with the violence turned up to maximum volume.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, because they fucking butchered his character.

That movie should be burned to ash, and that ash thrown into a volcano, and a nuke then dropped squarely into the mouth of said volcano.
    I'd be shocked if that movie isn't mentioned in this haha

Yeah, in some reference.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    I remember going into Origins and thinking "I can't wait to see how they do Deadpool" and then literally hating every minute of it. It was pretty much just a stereotypical bad guy, he couldn't even be a dick at the end, what was the point?

Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Maybe I worded that wrong, I think he's overrated by the comic book/geek community. To me an underrated super hero is Aquaman or what Iron Man used to be. but this is just from personal opinion and experience with bing bombarded with deadpool crap.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Aquaman? Really?

And Deadpool isn't a hero. He's not really definable, the closest thing being an anti-hero but in many cases he's not saying anyone in particular.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I'm not into comics and I had no idea who Deadpool was until December or January. Still know nothing of him, just that he's a comic guy. I know who Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Spawn, and Wolverine are though. I know it doesn't matter, just adding a non comic person's view to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I'm not into comics and I had no idea who Deadpool was until December or January. Still know nothing of him, just that he's a comic guy. I know who Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Spawn, and Wolverine are though. I know it doesn't matter, just adding a non comic person's view to the discussion.
    As I'd imagine you would, because Deadpool was never a character who transcended the genre the way the others did/do.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clutch View Post
    Maybe I worded that wrong, I think he's overrated by the comic book/geek community. To me an underrated super hero is Aquaman or what Iron Man used to be. but this is just from personal opinion and experience with bing bombarded with deadpool crap.
    ...OK, but why? What makes Aquaman and "what Iron Man used to be" underrated? What makes Deadpool overrated? You're making declarative statements without really qualifying them at all.

I can understand within the comic community why people would see Deadpool as overrated, if the argument is over market saturation, because he saturates everything. But by that same line of thought, so does Wolverine. In fact, I'm willing to bet Wolverine has touched more bases than any other character in Marvel history. He's had a mini-series or run-in with literally every major character I can think of. He's everywhere. They kill him, they bring him back to life, they kill him again, they put him on the moon. It's never ending.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

As I'd imagine you would, because Deadpool was never a character who transcended the genre the way the others did/do.
    Just helping to prove whoever's point that was. That said, he seems interesting and I like Ryan Reynolds. I probably won't see it in theaters but I'll check it when it hits HBO/Showtime/Starz, etc

It was mine. Deadpool was always an in-market character. He was designed entirely for the comic community by the comic community. It's why it took so long for them to get the approval to even do a movie for him, I'd imagine. There was a lot of in-market support for him, but I still have no idea how the movie itself will fare. It could be a total flop, like Spawn was. Having Ryan Reynolds helps. He's probably the best possible Hollywood actor to play Deadpool based on characters he's played in the past like Van Wilder and his character from Waiting.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Movies which contributed to me being a fan of him so much.

...OK, but why? What makes Aquaman and "what Iron Man used to be" underrated? What makes Deadpool overrated? You're making declarative statements without really qualifying them at all.

I can understand within the comic community why people would see Deadpool as overrated, if the argument is over market saturation, because he saturates everything. But by that same line of thought, so does Wolverine. In fact, I'm willing to bet Wolverine has touched more bases than any other character in Marvel history. He's had a mini-series or run-in with literally every major character I can think of. He's everywhere. They kill him, they bring him back to life, they kill him again, they put him on the moon. It's never ending.
    Overrated and underrated are subjective terms that, imo have less to do with popularity and more to do with how he's beloved.

It has more to do with the people who know him, loving him, and I don't really see what's so great about him. Therefore I find him overrated by his fans.

You, of all people, I'm actually surprised to see say something like that. This character seems right up your alley — he's like the love child of Wolverine's rage and violence (especially if we're talking about his gorier comic story lines) and Tony Stark's wit and snark.

Hilarious and violent — what's not to like?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

You, of all people, I'm actually surprised to see say something like that. This character seems right up your alley — he's like the love child of Wolverine's rage and violence (especially if we're talking about his gorier comic story lines) and Tony Stark's wit and snark.

Hilarious and violent — what's not to like?
    I didn't say I didn't like him. I do like him. But other people I know are absolutely obsessed with the guy.

I mean, OK, but how does that really make him overrated? Maybe it makes him overrated by those very specific people. I just hate that term, because it's a global term that's being used to attack something that doesn't have a global reach.

"Who is the most overrated player in NHL history?" versus "Who is the most overrated actor in Goon?"

It's a great movie, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking it has global reach. It's a cult classic. Just like Deadpool.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I mean, OK, but how does that really make him overrated? Maybe it makes him overrated by those very specific people. I just hate that term, because it's a global term that's being used to attack something that doesn't have a global reach.

"Who is the most overrated player in NHL history?" versus "Who is the most overrated actor in Goon?"

It's a great movie, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking it has global reach. It's a cult classic. Just like Deadpool.
    That's why "overrated" is subjective. To me, there are much more compelling characters that I'd have loved to see a dedicated movie about. Cable, Gambit, just to name 2 off the top of my head.

Deadpool is funny and violent, but once you get past that shock value, what's there?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast