Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 134

Thread: Marvel's 'Deadpool' with Ryan Reynolds

  1. #21
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #22
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Of course it does. My point is that if you are making the claim that Deadpool is the most over rated character, by then pointing to the fact that the general population doesn't even know who the hell he is, how is he overrated? He's only overrated within a very small niche market of comic book fans, if at all.
    Well the word overrated is correct, IMO, just used in the wrong context. He isn't well known, but those that know him have him rated pretty highly, and I personally don't agree that he's all that interesting. But maybe the person who said he was overrated meant that he's not sure why you guys think he's so awesome, he hasn't even been able to gain as much popularity as some other characters introduced in a similar timeframe, like Spawn, for example.

  3. #23
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    Spawn is a great parallel for him. Similar characters created around the same time. Deadpool was designed to be a niche market character I'd argue, whereas Spawn really only garnered real interest after the movie (which bombed, if I recall correctly), and the deal McFarlane toys got in producing more and more action figures. The sales of those toys is what kept the interest, not necessarily the comic.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #24
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    Actually, I think the best character parallel for Deadpool is Ironman, or more appropriately Tony Stark. If you ever found yourself drawn to him, you probably appreciate his sharp wit, his banter, etc. What was the line in the movie? "I'm not even the hero-type"? He's kind of a hero, but mostly a prick. Really sharp-tongued, definitely pompous, a wee bit pretentious. Normally, all character flaws. Yet in his case (Tony's), they're used to draw fans in. Because he's not the do-gooder that Captain America is/was.

    Deadpool is Ironman minus the machinery with the violence turned up to maximum volume.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #25
    Boom BSBH Prospect
    NYRangers92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19,351
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Yeah, because they fucking butchered his character.

    That movie should be burned to ash, and that ash thrown into a volcano, and a nuke then dropped squarely into the mouth of said volcano.
    I'd be shocked if that movie isn't mentioned in this haha

  6. #26
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    Yeah, in some reference.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #27
    His name is... BSBH Prospect
    JOHN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    16,111
    Rep Power
    120
    I remember going into Origins and thinking "I can't wait to see how they do Deadpool" and then literally hating every minute of it. It was pretty much just a stereotypical bad guy, he couldn't even be a dick at the end, what was the point?

  8. #28
    Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Captain Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,967
    Rep Power
    36
    Maybe I worded that wrong, I think he's overrated by the comic book/geek community. To me an underrated super hero is Aquaman or what Iron Man used to be. but this is just from personal opinion and experience with bing bombarded with deadpool crap.

  9. #29
    His name is... BSBH Prospect
    JOHN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    16,111
    Rep Power
    120
    Aquaman? Really?

    And Deadpool isn't a hero. He's not really definable, the closest thing being an anti-hero but in many cases he's not saying anyone in particular.

  10. #30
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,934
    Rep Power
    23
    I'm not into comics and I had no idea who Deadpool was until December or January. Still know nothing of him, just that he's a comic guy. I know who Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Spawn, and Wolverine are though. I know it doesn't matter, just adding a non comic person's view to the discussion.

  11. #31
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I'm not into comics and I had no idea who Deadpool was until December or January. Still know nothing of him, just that he's a comic guy. I know who Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Spawn, and Wolverine are though. I know it doesn't matter, just adding a non comic person's view to the discussion.
    As I'd imagine you would, because Deadpool was never a character who transcended the genre the way the others did/do.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #32
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clutch View Post
    Maybe I worded that wrong, I think he's overrated by the comic book/geek community. To me an underrated super hero is Aquaman or what Iron Man used to be. but this is just from personal opinion and experience with bing bombarded with deadpool crap.
    ...OK, but why? What makes Aquaman and "what Iron Man used to be" underrated? What makes Deadpool overrated? You're making declarative statements without really qualifying them at all.

    I can understand within the comic community why people would see Deadpool as overrated, if the argument is over market saturation, because he saturates everything. But by that same line of thought, so does Wolverine. In fact, I'm willing to bet Wolverine has touched more bases than any other character in Marvel history. He's had a mini-series or run-in with literally every major character I can think of. He's everywhere. They kill him, they bring him back to life, they kill him again, they put him on the moon. It's never ending.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #33
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,934
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    As I'd imagine you would, because Deadpool was never a character who transcended the genre the way the others did/do.
    Just helping to prove whoever's point that was. That said, he seems interesting and I like Ryan Reynolds. I probably won't see it in theaters but I'll check it when it hits HBO/Showtime/Starz, etc

  14. #34
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    It was mine. Deadpool was always an in-market character. He was designed entirely for the comic community by the comic community. It's why it took so long for them to get the approval to even do a movie for him, I'd imagine. There was a lot of in-market support for him, but I still have no idea how the movie itself will fare. It could be a total flop, like Spawn was. Having Ryan Reynolds helps. He's probably the best possible Hollywood actor to play Deadpool based on characters he's played in the past like Van Wilder and his character from Waiting.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #35
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,934
    Rep Power
    23
    Movies which contributed to me being a fan of him so much.

  16. #36
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    ...OK, but why? What makes Aquaman and "what Iron Man used to be" underrated? What makes Deadpool overrated? You're making declarative statements without really qualifying them at all.

    I can understand within the comic community why people would see Deadpool as overrated, if the argument is over market saturation, because he saturates everything. But by that same line of thought, so does Wolverine. In fact, I'm willing to bet Wolverine has touched more bases than any other character in Marvel history. He's had a mini-series or run-in with literally every major character I can think of. He's everywhere. They kill him, they bring him back to life, they kill him again, they put him on the moon. It's never ending.
    Overrated and underrated are subjective terms that, imo have less to do with popularity and more to do with how he's beloved.

    It has more to do with the people who know him, loving him, and I don't really see what's so great about him. Therefore I find him overrated by his fans.

  17. #37
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    You, of all people, I'm actually surprised to see say something like that. This character seems right up your alley — he's like the love child of Wolverine's rage and violence (especially if we're talking about his gorier comic story lines) and Tony Stark's wit and snark.

    Hilarious and violent — what's not to like?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #38
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    You, of all people, I'm actually surprised to see say something like that. This character seems right up your alley — he's like the love child of Wolverine's rage and violence (especially if we're talking about his gorier comic story lines) and Tony Stark's wit and snark.

    Hilarious and violent — what's not to like?
    I didn't say I didn't like him. I do like him. But other people I know are absolutely obsessed with the guy.

  19. #39
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,369
    Rep Power
    359
    I mean, OK, but how does that really make him overrated? Maybe it makes him overrated by those very specific people. I just hate that term, because it's a global term that's being used to attack something that doesn't have a global reach.

    "Who is the most overrated player in NHL history?" versus "Who is the most overrated actor in Goon?"

    It's a great movie, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking it has global reach. It's a cult classic. Just like Deadpool.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  20. #40
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I mean, OK, but how does that really make him overrated? Maybe it makes him overrated by those very specific people. I just hate that term, because it's a global term that's being used to attack something that doesn't have a global reach.

    "Who is the most overrated player in NHL history?" versus "Who is the most overrated actor in Goon?"

    It's a great movie, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking it has global reach. It's a cult classic. Just like Deadpool.
    That's why "overrated" is subjective. To me, there are much more compelling characters that I'd have loved to see a dedicated movie about. Cable, Gambit, just to name 2 off the top of my head.

    Deadpool is funny and violent, but once you get past that shock value, what's there?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •