• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

American Horror Story: Hotel

Dave

Guess we'll need a thread for this one. As was mentioned in the Freak Show thread, Lady Gaga will be in the next installment, which will center around a Hotel.

Jessica Lange is out:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/jessica-lange-says-shes-done-with-american-horror-story/?_r=0

When asked at Paleyfest, a TV festival in Los Angeles hosted by the Paley Center for Media, on Sunday night whether she would join Lady Gaga in Season 5, Ms. Lange said: ?We?ve had a great run. I have absolutely loved doing these four characters, and in all the madness, I loved the writers, actors, Ryan, the whole insanity of it, the stories, shooting here, shooting in New Orleans, everything. To cut to the chase, yes, I?m done.?

As per usual, I'll give the new season a couple/few episodes to hook me. Freak Show didn't, and although I eventually watched the finale, I first caught up with the plot via Wikipedia summary, since I didn't watch the entire season.

You should go back and watch the other ones Phil. They were better in my opinion. Also, losing Lange is a big blow. She was vital to the various seasons IMO.

I disagree with this completely. Her characters annoy the crap out of me. She was OK in Asylum but that's about it. Season 1 was by far the best season. Asylum was good. It's gotten progressively worse though.

I disagree with this completely. Her characters annoy the crap out of me. She was OK in Asylum but that's about it. Season 1 was by far the best season. Asylum was good. It's gotten progressively worse though.

She was a big draw though and the most recognizable face. I get she was annoying but that element added to the controversy.

I agree it's gotten work. Loved Asylum.

Cast shaping up more:

http://time.com/3756648/chloe-sevigny-ahs-return/

The actress will appear in American Horror Story: Hotel as a series regular

Chloe Sevigny is returning to the American Horror Story franchise. Today, AHS co-creator Ryan Murphy announced via his Twitter account that Sevigny, who appeared on season two’s Asylum as Shelley, a nymphomaniac who met a gruesome end, would be joining the newest installment, Hotel, as a series regular.

I like Sevigny for AHS, she's got the right amount of creepy vibe.

• 6 months later...
So two episodes in and to my surprise I'm liking this season so far. They've really ratcheted up both the gore and sex. Gaga's creepy factor is working for this where I don't typically like her at all. The camera play is a bit overdone for my taste, but there's enough intrigue to keep me wanting to know what's going to happen next. One area that is lacking for me are characters to invest in. Only the cop's daughter is there for me so far. The wife (Sevigny) a little bit as well, but she's been a bit player so far. The introduction of Evan Peter's character has helped in that regard, because I have really enjoyed him in this series so far. However, given the character he's playing, it'll be difficult to root for him. Or maybe not. We'll see.

I'm just getting around to the first episode now, and I'm nearly ready to tap out early. That rape scene was fucking disgusting and has almost completely turned me off to whatever is going to happen this season. Forget the fact that everything is confusing and erratic. Right now it feels like a really bad music video proudced entirely for shock value.

I'm just getting around to the first episode now, and I'm nearly ready to tap out early. That rape scene was fucking disgusting and has almost completely turned me off to whatever is going to happen this season. Forget the fact that everything is confusing and erratic. Right now it feels like a really bad music video proudced entirely for shock value.

Yeah, that's how my wife and I were about 30 minutes into episode 1, but Season 1 has pretty much made it so we give each season a few episodes to hook us. You're not a big fan of gore, so this might not be your season, but it does slow down considerably and break towards the story more. That said, there are some very graphic scenes still.

You should really watch season 1 if you haven't yet.

Gaga is one of the worst actors I have ever seen. She is awful.

Probably because she's not an actor. Her character seems like it will be vital to the story, but her performance, at least so far, hasn't been. Her actual dialogue has been brief and the narrative is being told by others.

Saw the first episode and it was painful to sit through and not for the gore or the rape scene, just thought the episode was awful.

I watched season one when it was airing and it had me up until the leather gimp suit scene, when I saw that I burst out laughing and havnt been able to take the show seriously since.

I'm looking at Hotel through the eyes of someone who just hated Freakshow. The shock value stuff doesn't bother me if it's pertinent to the story. In Hotel, at least so far, it has been. After two episodes, there are enough intriguing elements to make me want to keep watching. I did think the second episode was much stronger than the first as well. The first, I was thinking it was going to be terrible through the first half, but the second half was stronger. The second picked up from there and added more details explaining some things while leaving other areas dark.

Yeah, that's how my wife and I were about 30 minutes into episode 1, but Season 1 has pretty much made it so we give each season a few episodes to hook us. You're not a big fan of gore, so this might not be your season, but it does slow down considerably and break towards the story more. That said, there are some very graphic scenes still.

You should really watch season 1 if you haven't yet.

Of rape? If so, I'm tapping out now. I actaully said out loud during that scene "this is disgusting" and turned away from the screen. Then when it went on and on for another minute or so, I said to my wife "I'm turning this off" and the scene was over.

I really liked last season a lot, and I'm OK with horror gore. I don't like it, but I can live through it if it has purpose and is done correctly (though I still maintain implied torture/gore is far more effective [Se7en, Saw]).

I love the Shining influence that's present here, but I need substance, and rape is just one of those things I can't stomach. Implied rape is one thing, which is how that scene began. Actual rape is another. I have no desire to see it happening.

Of rape? If so, I'm tapping out now. I actaully said out loud during that scene "this is disgusting" and turned away from the screen. Then when it went on and on for another minute or so, I said to my wife "I'm turning this off" and the scene was over.

I really liked last season a lot, and I'm OK with horror gore. I don't like it, but I can live through it if it has purpose and is done correctly (though I still maintain implied torture/gore is far more effective [Se7en, Saw]).

I love the Shining influence that's present here, but I need substance, and rape is just one of those things I can't stomach. Implied rape is one thing, which is how that scene began. Actual rape is another. I have no desire to see it happening.

I don't recall another rape scene. But some pretty gruesome stuff. I found the story to be expanding nicely. Some answers as to what is going on and new hooks for the story. There's also an early scene in episode 2 which was nice social commentary you'll appreciate between Madchen Amick and Chloe Sevigny.

Archived