• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bang Your Head to the Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Phil

We've got a sort of catch-all "what are you listening to?" thread, but this thread is a refined version of that specific to metal and hard rock of all kinds.

So, what are you all listening to? My latest rotation:

1. Alcest ? French melodic black metal with progressive overtones:

For fans of Opeth, Les Discrets, Ghost [b.C.], Magna Carta Cartel

-----

2. Arcane ? Eclectic, ambient-influenced progressive metal from Australia:

For fans of Tool, were they influenced by Melodic European metal, Caligula's Horse

-----

3. Caligula's Horse ? progressive alternative rock with metal influence from Australia (same singer as Arcane):

For fans of Tool, were they influenced by Melodic European metal, Arcane

-----

4. Baroness ? Indie/post-punk influenced heavy metal with melodic influence:

For fans of Mastodon, ISIS, Red Fang, Neurosis

-----

5. Mastodon ? Slude/stoner alternative metal and all-American bad-assery

For fans of fuckin' awesome music

-----

Oh, and speaking of fuckin' awesome music...

6. Gojira ? owning

Yup, just saves on load time. Even if you don't watch the videos, when you have a thread with like 20 YouTube videos linked, there's an initial load on all of them as a preview that will bog down the entire thread every time it's opened.

I'd suggest straight links to YouTube directly, or dropping everything into a spoiler tag.

If you've got a suggestion, do your write up like "this band rocks, they're from Australia and love tacos" and then drop the video into the spoiler tag.

Minor Threat - I don't Wanna Hear It

Black Flag - My War

[video=youtube;nB_tGab-t0g]

Gorilla Biscuits - Cats and Dogs

Plus, these bands don't fit to a "T", but anything by Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Monster Magnet, Alice in Chains and even Primus as well.

I've been listening to Sleep lately. My boss used to listen to it at work all the time. Just getting into it now.

Sleep — Holy Mountain

Stoner metal. A lot of droning.

Very sludgy. I don't mind it at all. Reminds me of Sabbath crossed with bands like CKY or Red Fang.

You should check out Baroness if you are into this sound. They're a little more upbeat, but in the same influence vein.

Very sludgy. I don't mind it at all. Reminds me of Sabbath crossed with bands like CKY or Red Fang.

You should check out Baroness if you are into this sound. They're a little more upbeat, but in the same influence vein.

I'll check them out. I'm definitely new to the genre, but lately it's been drawing me in a bit.

I actually don't like The Sword very much. Equally not into High on Fire. Can't really pinpoint why with either band. With HOF, it's the singers voice most likely, but I figured you'd be into them just based on the sound.