Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phishing/Malware Re-Direct

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I'm curious, do any of you have AdBlocker software installed and active for this site? If so, do you still experience the re-direct?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    I use Adblock Plus and I don't experience any of this.

Right. That's what I would expect would occur, because this is the same issue that began infecting AdSense back in January or so. Google sent out a notice on Groups on the 15th saying that they had isolated it, and were attempting to fix it.

There are essentially three choices here while we wait for that fix to apply. Two are under my control. The third is under yours (as users).

1. I can simply turn off AdSense entirely until this problem is rectified. Not at all an ideal solution, seeing as AdSense is the only driving revenue source for the forum, and helps to pay for expensive hosting costs every month.
    2. I can simply turn on text-only ads, as this exploit only occurs through graphic ads that allow Flash (as the exploit is somewhere between), however, this is also not ideal, as our earnings would plummet.

3. You can install AdBlocking software, which while not ideal for the forum that would earn less in not being able to display ads for you, would, or should prevent you from being redirected.

At this point, I'd strongly suggest the third option to anyone experiencing this who wishes not to any longer. I can't empirically confirm for you that it isn't harmful, though it appears rather benign as a simple redirect. If you click nothing, nothing should occur, annoying as it may be to have to return to the forum manually every time.

The choice is yours.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just something to try, if anyone is willing...

With the URL's blocked, and re-directs still occurring, I'm thinking it might be possible that your local browser is caching old results. Would anyone who has not yet turned on Ad blocking software and is experiencing a re-direct be willing to try clearing browser cache and restarting their browser to test if the re-direct occurs again? I realize this may take a few days to get any results on, and frankly, that's a good thing. If enough of you try it and no one comes back reporting any issues, it might be the "fix" we need.

If you are willing, please let me know. Thanks.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Yeah, AdBlock worked like a charm for me with Safari. For Chrome and Firefox though, I can't get it to block new windows. Hell, it barely blocks Ads.

Just as an FYI, this problem seems to have been corrected by Google.

I have yet to see an official confirmation, but numerous blogs and forums have reported that the issue has dissipated, and I can confirm on my own end that with Ads still enabled, I've not been redirected in three plus weeks.

For anyone who has turned off Ads due to this who wouldn't mind turning them back on, you should be safe to do so now. The more users who have Ads enabled, the better the return on revenue I get per month to offset expensive hosting costs.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Just as an FYI, this problem seems to have been corrected by Google.

I have yet to see an official confirmation, but numerous blogs and forums have reported that the issue has dissipated, and I can confirm on my own end that with Ads still enabled, I've not been redirected in three plus weeks.

For anyone who has turned off Ads due to this who wouldn't mind turning them back on, you should be safe to do so now. The more users who have Ads enabled, the better the return on revenue I get per month to offset expensive hosting costs.
    Quoted to bold that last part.

Phil actually doesn't let the staff chip in for hosting. We've offered. I mean I personally tried to give him $5 and he wouldn't take it.

AdSense keeps this place running, so please turn AdBlockers off. Thanks in advance.

You offered me $4. I have proof.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    You offered me $4. I have proof.
    I offered $5, then you had to pay the PIA tax.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but ever since yesterday, I haven't been on in a couple of days, I keep getting pop up video ads for different products every time I go into a thread here. I have popups blocked on my laptop, but for some reason this is the only site I am getting them on. Anything I can do to stop them? It says flash mall at the bottom of the video if that helps, and like I said, this is the only site its doing it on on my laptop.
    Last edited by NYR2711; 04-29-2015 at 11:26 AM.

If you turn on AdBlocker, do the video pop-ups stop?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I don't have Ad Blocker, but it seems like they may have stopped. I haven't gotten them since a little after I posted this. Ill let you know if they start up again.

I'd try installing AdBlocker and running it to see if the pop-ups still occur with it running. This could be another exploit through AdSense, but there's no real way for me to tell without first knowing if your AdBlocker helps to alleviate the issue.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12