Thread: Conversation With Pavel Buchnevich's Agent

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect

Conversation With Pavel Buchnevich's Agent

I spoke to Buchnevich's agent, Todd Diamond of International Sports Advisors, back on December 18th. Things could have changed since then, but as of that time he claimed that the there were no actual contract negotiations going on. He didn't foresee them beginning anytime soon either.

"But obviously the Rangers are very interested in having him," Diamond said. Contract negotiations aside, Diamond pointed out another big obstacle to consider.

"He'll potentially be with the men's national team. They have a camp in March," Diamond said.

That camp is for the World Championships, which take place from May 1st through May 17th. While not a lock, it would seem very likely that Buchnevich is at least invited to the camp, and could very well make the team. Based on IIHF rules, Russia has priority on Buchnevich and would have to grant permission for him to forego the team and play in the Rangers' organization instead. The Rangers experienced a similar issue with Jesper Fast two years ago, as he was only able to play one game in the AHL before making the trip back to Europe to represent Sweden at the WC.

As for what it would take for Buchnevich to sign with the Rangers? One obstacle always feared is the money situation. Buchnevich would be signing an entry-level contract with the Rangers, meaning that the best possible deal Buchnevich could sign with the Rangers is, including bonuses, $1.2583 million annually for three years. An already good player like Buchnevich who will only get better could likely get more money from a team in the KHL. The limits of an entry-level contract do not seem to be much of a deterrent for Buchnevich, however.

"He already understands what those parameters are." Instead, it's going to be about where he is in his development and what the Rangers' plans are for him. "It's more... is he in the NHL? If we do sign, we have to see how he performs. But obviously the expectations are that he will be ready to play right away or very quickly." Still, Diamond and Buchnevich recognize that it's hard to negotiate on any certainty in regards to playing time now when so much can happen at any time to alter the makeup of the Rangers' roster.

"It's premature because many things can happen between now and then with respect to free agency and trades," Diamond said. "You can never rely on people saying, 'he's going to make our lineup,' because that's just reality." When asked about how much time Buchnevich would be willing to spend in Hartford, the Rangers' AHL affiliate, Diamond again reiterated that it was premature to discuss that. "We haven't gotten to that part of the process. When we start talking about the contract we will have those types of discussions."
    Good job by Adam, this is a section from his reaction to the WJC tourney, and it adds a bit to the notion of Buchnevich potentially coming sooner rather than later.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2015/...old-buchnevich
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    From what I saw, Buchnevich looks like an AHL player for a while.
    He's just not ready to crack our top 6, probably not top 9.
    And honestly Duclair looks closer right IMO.

I'm sure that weighs into his decision.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    From what I saw, Buchnevich looks like an AHL player for a while.
    He's just not ready to crack our top 6, probably not top 9.
    And honestly Duclair looks closer right IMO.

I'm sure that weighs into his decision.
    Agreed.
    *Note: My opinion is based on only 3 games I've seen him play. Maybe others have seen more, and could add to this. Also, this tournament is a sprint, and filled with adrenaline. I take that into consideration.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

swamped Midget Division
    Does anyone have a read on Buchnevich's ceiling? I know it's hard to tell with young players, but what's the best case scenario (5 years from now)? Does he have the potential to be a star, or is it more likely he would be a solid contributor on one of the first three lines?
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Does anyone have a read on Buchnevich's ceiling? I know it's hard to tell with young players, but what's the best case scenario (5 years from now)? Does he have the potential to be a star, or is it more likely he would be a solid contributor on one of the first three lines?
    It's nearly impossible to get these guesses right. And being that it is all a guess, I'll listen, and nod along.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Agreed.
    *Note: My opinion is based on only 3 games I've seen him play. Maybe others have seen more, and could add to this. Also, this tournament is a sprint, and filled with adrenaline. I take that into consideration.
    Same here.
    I'm just real leary of players coming out of Europe, so difficult to gauge how they will react to NA Ice and style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Same here.
    I'm just real leary of players coming out of Europe, so difficult to gauge how they will react to NA Ice and style of play.
    Yeah, I agree. Transitioning over to the smaller sheet isn't easy.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Midget Division
    While I wasn't blown away with his play it was nice to see him being used in the key situations by Russia. He was on the ice, I think, for the last 1:30 of the third in the gold medal game. That game was the only game I saw him play in. I actually thought he looked a little like a bender in the first period but maybe I was just looking too closely.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I think he lead the whole team in shots. While it's probably doubtful that we'll see him this season, he will definitely be in the mix next training camp. If he doesn't stick another year in Russia certainly won't hurt him

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I'm not sure of his ceiling...

but his floor is the speed of Pavel Bure, handles of Datsyuk, and the defensive savvy of Patrice Bergeron,

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

but his floor is the speed of Pavel Bure, handles of Datsyuk, and the defensive savvy of Patrice Bergeron,
    You're saying that where he's starting at...?

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

And don't forget the butterfly pad save ability of Henrik Lundqvist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're saying that where he's starting at...?
    Pretty sure he's fuckin around.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Pretty sure he's fuckin around.
    Has to be
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!