• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HBO's 'The Wire'

Patrick Bateman

Couldn't find a thread on this show, so I thought I would make one since it just got re-released in HD (available on Amazon Prime)

For anyone who didn't watch this show, I really urge you to watch it, in my opinion it's the best show ever made.

a lot of people say/think this. i'm not sure i agree, but it was a damn good show.

it's unfortunately so dated. i don't think they start tapping cell phones until the 2nd or 3rd season. but either way, very good show. i wish the ending was different, but whatever.

a lot of people say/think this. i'm not sure i agree, but it was a damn good show.

it's unfortunately so dated. i don't think they start tapping cell phones until the 2nd or 3rd season. but either way, very good show. i wish the ending was different, but whatever.

The writing tops absolutely every other show made with how things on such extreme ends of the spectrum are so closely tied to each other, it's amazing. It really takes a 2nd viewing to appreciate it.

The social commentary is also incredible, I'm not sure you can ever show urban decay better than this show did

To be fair, it's not in HD - it's converted to widescreen, which looks terrible.

I'm pretty sure it was re-mastered in HD and converted to widescreen to accommodate today's TVs.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/omar-in-high-def-comin-the-wire-gets-a-high-definition-widescreen-makeover

HBO announced today that they had completed the high-definition re-mastering of all five seasons of "The Wire," which will debut in December on HBO Signature and HBO Go, be sold in digital HD (through iTunes, Google Play, etc.) starting January 5, and on Blu-ray starting next summer. As the press release notes, "The entire series has been beautifully re-mastered in 16x9 Full-Frame HD from more than 8,000 reels of original 35mm camera negative, allowing for a tighter fit on widescreen TVs and computer/tablet screens. The original negatives were scanned, edited, dust-busted and color-corrected with great care and attention taken to stay true to the look and feel of the original Standard-Definition 4x3 version."

This was a more complicated process than most re-masterings from that period. "The Wire" debuted in 2002, at a time when the TV business was starting to push hard into both high-def imagery and a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio. Many series that weren't yet broadcast in HD were still being shot 16:9 (leading to a letterboxed look on old projection TV sets, which I got a lot of complaints about from Star-Ledger readers back in the day), and even the ones that weren't were often being framed in such a way that the image could easily work as either 4:3 or 16:9 without any of the important imagery being lost. (If you watch a lot of TV dramas from the early part of the century, you'll notice almost all of the relevant action happens in the center of the frame for that reason. Directors were trying to serve two masters at all times.)

I saw a few episodes over the past week and thought they looked better than the original.

There are just so many things that made this show great. The casting was phenomenal. They really went out of their way to cast Baltimore actors, but did so in a way that they found the perfect actor for each role. And even those that weren't, especially McNulty(Dominic West) and Carcetti(Aiden Gillen), still nailed their roles.

The season by season dynamic of the show was truly unique. The way they were able to focus on one group to the next(Gangs, cops, politicians, longshoremen, etc.) was perfect. I hate when people talk about a season being weak or comparing seasons of the show in general because of how necessary to the story each one is.

I'm pretty sure it was re-mastered in HD and converted to widescreen to accommodate today's TVs.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/omar-in-high-def-comin-the-wire-gets-a-high-definition-widescreen-makeover

I saw a few episodes over the past week and thought they looked better than the original.

The entire series has been beautifully re-mastered in 16x9 Full-Frame HD from more than 8,000 reels of original 35mm camera negative, allowing for a tighter fit on widescreen TVs and computer/tablet screens.

Aka a fancy way of saying stretched out.

Quote from the Creator:

If you compose a shot for a wider 16:9 screen, then you are, by definition, failing to optimize the composition of the 4:3 image. Choose to serve one construct and at times you must impair the other," he writes, adding later, "To deliver the first two seasons in one template and then to switch-up and provide the remaining seasons in another format would undercut our purpose tremendously, simply by calling attention to the manipulation of the form itself."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/3/7325663/creator-of-the-wire-explains-why-you-might-not-like-it-in-hd

• 1 month later...
So I finished this series unfortunately. I really didn't want it to end. Such a great show. Hoping I can get my wife to get into it so I can see it again. Heads up, for some reason Episode 9 of season 5 was not showing on the on demand page so I watched it via HBO Go. And from what I remember out of the whole series the only episode which was not in HD was the one mentioned in the post above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived