Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McIlrath, Lindberg, Crabb, Kostka

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division

McIlrath, Lindberg, Crabb, Kostka

My friend Terrible Ted the Leafs fan from Florida via the Bronx, who likes the Rangers as a second team, and hates the Devils* is at the Wolfpack game tonight.
    (he's coached junior, worked for the Devils, and knows a few old hockey folk, in the Stastny and Giannone families, among others)

Ted's preliminary opinionated and sometimes spot on, sometimes superficial observations:

McIlrath: Slow, getting beat in his own zone; doesn't have it

Lindberg: Excellent

Kostka: playing well next defensive callup

Crabb: Playing well should be playing for the Rangers.

* yeah Ted's complicated fandom resume is messed up, but he's my old bro, so it is what it is. He shoulda just been a Rangers fan, but he got gypped even worse because he's a New Yorker who became a Leafs fan, it's a sad story.

That is all until the next Terrible Ted update
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Crabb is a guy who has NHL-level talent for a fourth line, but it's a numbers game right now with the Rangers. Based on what he brings, the only guy who he'd be playing over is Glass, and the Rangers probably have little interest in sitting a guy they just signed to a three-year contract worth more than $1.5M per season over a guy they managed to trade for to get under the 50 contract limit to allow Duclair to make the team out of camp.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    joey crabb was a rangers killer
    Didn't he get his first career goal against us like many others?

Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar
    Mcilrath was a bad pick at 10 considering the talent that went after. He seems like an enforcer first and unfortunetly those guys arent as much needed anymore

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by !br-avery! View Post
    joey crabb was a rangers killer
    Didn't he get his first career goal against us like many others?
    Yup, for Atlanta in 2008.
    I'm not sure why my friend Ted is so obsessed with him (except he was a Leaf), I'm thinking the Crabb ship sailed a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Crabb is a guy who has NHL-level talent for a fourth line, but it's a numbers game right now with the Rangers. Based on what he brings, the only guy who he'd be playing over is Glass, and the Rangers probably have little interest in sitting a guy they just signed to a three-year contract worth more than $1.5M per season over a guy they managed to trade for to get under the 50 contract limit to allow Duclair to make the team out of camp.
    Makes sense. Unless there's really something there worth switching for — and it does what's right for the team going into the playoffs — and I'm not sure I see what Ted's excitement is all about. Crabb is 31 at this point and he has no history with this squad.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 01-05-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

When do you think the NYR will give Oscar Lindberg the opportunity to play?

Quote Originally Posted by SyKeS View Post
    When do you think the NYR will give Oscar Lindberg the opportunity to play?
    I think a lot of that depends on his continued success going into next season and whether or not Dominic Moore can find his legs again. Moore is sitting directly on the spot Lindberg would be challenging for.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    I was at the game on Saturday night 7-3 loss to St John's. Man, McIlrath is soooo bad, poor defensive play, bad penalties, constantly beat in the defensive zone. For some strange reason, he was playing on the top Power Play unit all night and it didn't work at all. Whether he was parked in front of the net or on the point, just didn't work. What a bust he is.

Oh, and as expected, he lost the 1 fight he was in that night.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydollaz18 View Post
    I was at the game on Saturday night 7-3 loss to St John's. Man, McIlrath is soooo bad, poor defensive play, bad penalties, constantly beat in the defensive zone. For some strange reason, he was playing on the top Power Play unit all night and it didn't work at all. Whether he was parked in front of the net or on the point, just didn't work. What a bust he is.

Oh, and as expected, he lost the 1 fight he was in that night.
    It's good though that they are trusting McIlrath with quality minutes.
    They are giving him every opportunity to succeed and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    It's good though that they are trusting McIlrath with quality minutes.
    They are giving him every opportunity to succeed and develop.
    One would think, but from what I saw, he's still struggling. Too many bad defensive reads, bad penalties, can't trust him in his own end.

Lindberg on the other hand, played a very good game. As did Kostka, he just looked much more comfortable on the ice. Believe he picked up an assist on the PPG scored that night by Mueller.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    One would think, but from what I saw, he's still struggling. Too many bad defensive reads, bad penalties, can't trust him in his own end.

Lindberg on the other hand, played a very good game. As did Kostka, he just looked much more comfortable on the ice. Believe he picked up an assist on the PPG scored that night by Mueller.
    It's his 5th season since being drafted, and had enough time/games in the AHL.
    I'm guessing this year will tell us a lot about where he is, and what the future holds. He was considered one of our top 1-3 prospects for a while, but I'm guessing would barely be top 10 now.

It's his 5th season since being drafted, and had enough time/games in the AHL.
    I'm guessing this year will tell us a lot about where he is, and what the future holds. He was considered one of our top 1-3 prospects for a while, but I'm guessing would barely be top 10 now.
    Would shock me if he cracked the top 12-15 honestly. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw at all the other night. Now i'm no talent scout, but I know a bad hockey player when I see one. lol

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Would shock me if he cracked the top 12-15 honestly. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw at all the other night. Now i'm no talent scout, but I know a bad hockey player when I see one. lol
    Since he was considered a "top" prospect back in 2011, I'm guessing there have been at least 12-15 players jump over him since then.
    Oh well, can't win them all in the draft!

Since he was considered a "top" prospect back in 2011, I'm guessing there have been at least 12-15 players jump over him since then.
    Oh well, can't win them all in the draft!
    Just sucks seeing the players go after him. Schwartz, Fowler, Tarasenko, Bjugstad. Just to name a few.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Just sucks seeing the players go after him. Schwartz, Fowler, Tarasenko, Bjugstad. Just to name a few.
    Understood, I can't say much now.
    Was huge on Fowler, really like Bjugstad, Forbert and Schwartz.
    And Forbert has been a pretty big bust. Didn't know much/anything about Tarasenko back then, (someone else on board liked him)...but he looks like the steal of the draft.

I liked Connolly, (skated with his coach), and had heard real good things about him.
    But knew he wouldn't be around at 10...and even he's been somewhat disappointing.

Goes to show how tough these things can be.

Understood, I can't say much now.
    Was huge on Fowler, really like Bjugstad, Forbert and Schwartz.
    And Forbert has been a pretty big bust. Didn't know much/anything about Tarasenko back then, (someone else on board liked him)...but he looks like the steal of the draft.

I liked Connolly, (skated with his coach), and had heard real good things about him.
    But knew he wouldn't be around at 10...and even he's been somewhat disappointing.

Goes to show how tough these things can be.
    Definitely a crap shoot in these things. I wasn't on the boards at the time, but I was high on Fowler, but at the time we didn't have a need for him with MDZ on the rise, but we all know how that ended. Also, didn't think there was a shot Cam fell out of the top 8.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Definitely a crap shoot in these things. I wasn't on the boards at the time, but I was high on Fowler, but at the time we didn't have a need for him with MDZ on the rise, but we all know how that ended. Also, didn't think there was a shot Cam fell out of the top 8.
    I probably should have been banned for all the love I had for Fowler that draft and hatred of Mcilrath, (not the player, just the pick).

This road... again? Sometimes I'm thankful McIlrath isn't on this team, if for not other reason than because we'd be dealing with another Tanner Glass scenario where the player can't ever escape the reputation he's been assigned (bad possession/advanced stats in Glass' case, bust pick in McIlrath's case). And yes, I mean assigned. Not necessarily earned. A fan perception prescribed that it's become factoid — an assumption or speculation that is reported and repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact.

You understand I could go into every single draft in history and find better players taken after any given draft position, yes? I mean, you're aware that teams make mistakes in the draft all the time, right?

Why do we have to have this conversation every few months, as though everyone's forgotten that better players could have been had... as if anyone here had the clairvoyance to actually know beyond a shadow of doubt that Player X, Y or Z was the better selection?

McIlrath is probably a bust. It sucks. Why do we have to keep going back and reminding ourselves of the mistake? What's gained by doing this? What positive comes of it?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    My kid has mode more progress from yesterday to today than McIlrath has made since we drafted him.

I just wanted to say "my kid". :-)

You're probably right, but do we really need to be reminded of the fact better players could have been had, as if we're not operating with 20/20 hindsight?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast