Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Modern Day Activism

  1. #41
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,234
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Given that there was no real physical altercation prior, I feel like calling for "muscle" was more of a short hand for a similar wall of people to block the guy with the camera. I think it's a pretty big stretch to think anyone would have seen this as a call to violence.
    I disagree, it doesn't matter that there was no physical violence, she still called for it as a teacher against another of the schools students who was peaceful, he wasn't even loud with her. When you say you need some muscle over here, that sounds like they need someone to come over and get physical. Muscle doesn't mean block. She is an entitled twat who claims she fights for everyone when in fact she is only out for herself, and she should be fired from the school for the threat of violence against another student.

  2. #42
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,501
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I disagree, it doesn't matter that there was no physical violence, she still called for it as a teacher against another of the schools students who was peaceful, he wasn't even loud with her. When you say you need some muscle over here, that sounds like they need someone to come over and get physical. Muscle doesn't mean block. She is an entitled twat who claims she fights for everyone when in fact she is only out for herself, and she should be fired from the school for the threat of violence against another student.
    In the past when an incident involving a cop where there was actual physical force used against another person, often causing injury/death, I don't feel like you have this same rush to persecute without all the facts. You're making a lot of assumptions about someone based on a few seconds caught on camera.

    I have a hard time believing anyone would see this as a call to violence. They were clearly using groups of students to shield the press' view of the protest. That's what the entire video shows. It seems much more reasonable to assume that this was what she was calling for.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  3. #43
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,234
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    In the past when an incident involving a cop where there was actual physical force used against another person, often causing injury/death, I don't feel like you have this same rush to persecute without all the facts. You're making a lot of assumptions about someone based on a few seconds caught on camera.

    I have a hard time believing anyone would see this as a call to violence. They were clearly using groups of students to shield the press' view of the protest. That's what the entire video shows. It seems much more reasonable to assume that this was what she was calling for.
    What I bolded simply isn't true. I have called out bad things by cops as soon as they have happened in the past. Go back and look at what I have said, and I have also said many times that something looks either bad or good, but I still need to see more facts.

    I have never heard anyone say we need some muscle over here to shield anyone. Saying we need some muscle is calling for someone to do something physically for them, whether its to move something or someone. Yes there were people blocking, but this teacher, not a student, specifically said "We need some muscle over here", which means she wants someone to move him out of there, she never said we need someone to block this guy. When do you "use muscle" to block something, she says "We need to get him out, I need some muscle to get him out."

    In this video you can hear them saying to push him out(go to around the 7:30 mark of the video):
    Last edited by NYR2711; 11-13-2015 at 03:16 PM.

  4. #44
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,501
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    What I bolded simply isn't true. I have called out bad things by cops as soon as they have happened in the past. Go back and look at what I have said, and I have also said many times that something looks either bad or good, but I still need to see more facts.

    I have never heard anyone say we need some muscle over here to shield anyone. Saying we need some muscle is calling for someone to do something physically for them, whether its to move something or someone. Yes there were people blocking, but this teacher, not a student, specifically said "We need some muscle over here", which means she wants someone to move him out of there, she never said we need someone to block this guy. When do you "use muscle" to block something, she says "We need to get him out, I need some muscle to get him out."

    In this video you can hear them saying to push him out(go to around the 7:30 mark of the video):
    She called for "muscle" but no one ran up and grabbed him and shoved him away. No one attacked him. There were calls to push him out, but no one violently shoves him. They simply form a wall and slowly move that wall to push him back. Same as the the instance with the other guy who was taking pictures. They used their bodies to block his view.

    Everything I see on video was very peaceful. It never escalates to violence. Whether you agree with what they were doing or not, I don't see how someone should lose their job when they said, "muscle" where had they could have used the word "help" and had the exact same result.

    Now, if she used the word "muscle" and someone ran up and hit the guy, then that would be a different story. But that didn't happen. And I don't think it happened because those who heard her understood what she was asking from them.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  5. #45
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,234
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    She called for "muscle" but no one ran up and grabbed him and shoved him away. No one attacked him. There were calls to push him out, but no one violently shoves him. They simply form a wall and slowly move that wall to push him back. Same as the the instance with the other guy who was taking pictures. They used their bodies to block his view.

    Everything I see on video was very peaceful. It never escalates to violence. Whether you agree with what they were doing or not, I don't see how someone should lose their job when they said, "muscle" where had they could have used the word "help" and had the exact same result.

    Now, if she used the word "muscle" and someone ran up and hit the guy, then that would be a different story. But that didn't happen. And I don't think it happened because those who heard her understood what she was asking from them.
    Regardless of no one doing anything to him, a teacher in that school still called for violence against another student. Just the action of her calling for other students to physically put their hands on another student is enough in my mind to show she should be fired.

    She said she wanted someone to move him, not block him. She meant she wanted someone to physically move him out of there, not put up a wall and block him. I dont know where your getting that from, because she says it clear as day that she needs muscle to move this guy out of there.
    Last edited by NYR2711; 11-13-2015 at 05:40 PM.

  6. #46
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,906
    Rep Power
    196
    The Mizzou affair is insanely dumb. The Princeton and Yale stuff is also dumb, but may I present the new standard for moronic coddled SJW's everywhere:

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...vity-1.3330441


    The best part is how they were just going to change the name from Yoga to "Mindful Stretching" but they couldn't come up with a good french translation for "Mindful Stretching" so they scraped that idea least they offend the Quebecois.

    Keep in mind of course, how the rest of Canada has to pretend we have the first fucking clue how to speak or read or give a shit about French, while Quebec doesn't have to have any English translation on anything.
    Last edited by Dunny; 11-24-2015 at 07:13 PM.

  7. #47
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,906
    Rep Power
    196
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/14/ex...aptain-says-se

    This is pretty much the norm now. Evidence is really unimportant. Due process has been replaced by Kangaroo Courts at the highest academic institutions on the planet.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Crooklyn
    Posts
    4,206
    Rep Power
    53
    While that's a valid point, when I started the thread my point was really how assholes are irresponsible, inconsiderate jerks who do so under the guise of activism. I really detest these people. There's protesting and civil disobedience and then there's being a complete piece of shit. I think my generation has gotten the two completely confused. I hate millennials.

    http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/...rotesters.html

    https://twitter.com/TweetBrettMac/st...25579600064512

  9. #49
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,206
    Rep Power
    280
    From the Peter Liang sentencing :

    Assemblyman Charles Barron ​on Thursday warned of riots, saying “violence is inevitable” if former NYPD officer Peter Liang gets the no-jail sentence recommended by Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson.

    “We will not forget this,” Barron bellowed to an angry throng of protestors gathered outside Thompson’s downtown Brooklyn office. “Some of our people are saying an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life.”

    “Even Martin Luther King — the prince of peace — said that riots are the voices of the unheard,” Barron, a former Black Panther, said.
    Am I saying we should be violent? I’m saying the system will decide.”
    http://http://nypost.com/2016/03/24/...atal-shooting/
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  10. #50
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,664
    Rep Power
    112
    I'd have a hard time sending a guy to jail for an accidental discharge...though the fact that he didn't try to give CPR or call an ambulance really reeks.

  11. #51
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,206
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'd have a hard time sending a guy to jail for an accidental discharge...though the fact that he didn't try to give CPR or call an ambulance really reeks.
    By no means am I defending his actions, but he's a rookie, he panicked, and he made the worst decisions possible during the entire incident.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  12. #52
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,372
    Rep Power
    366
    And someone died for it. He's guilty. Being a rookie doesn't change the fact he killed someone.

    That's like saying that the first time someone gets plastered and drives drunk and runs over a woman in a crosswalk, well, it was her first time drinking, so cut her some slack.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #53
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,206
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    And someone died for it. He's guilty. Being a rookie doesn't change the fact he killed someone.

    That's like saying that the first time someone gets plastered and drives drunk and runs over a woman in a crosswalk, well, it was her first time drinking, so cut her some slack.
    That's why I said I'm not defending his actions. Do I think this was intentional? No. But I'm not saying he should go unpunished. In relation to the article I posted and quoted, I don't think it's going to help anyone's cause if they turn NY into Ferguson. And for an assemblyman to say things like that is a little nuts, no ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  14. #54
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,906
    Rep Power
    196

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •