Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Day Activism

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clutch View Post
    "When a person tell you that you hurt them, you don't get to decide that you didn't"
    Care to elaborate? Because while I agree with the statement, I don't agree with the idea that we need to restrain speech because an individual views it as offensive.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    Care to elaborate? Because while I agree with the statement, I don't agree with the idea that we need to restrain speech because an individual views it as offensive.
    I don't think we should retrain speech but we need to be aware that it can be hurtful, and if perceived as such, the person saying the thing deemed offensive can't just say "no it wasn't offensive" when it clearly was. We just have to understand we live in a world where more people hear us and that the things we say can easily be seen as offensive to a more open populace.

I don't think we should retrain speech but we need to be aware that it can be hurtful, and if perceived as such, the person saying the thing deemed offensive can't just say "no it wasn't offensive" when it clearly was. We just have to understand we live in a world where more people hear us and that the things we say can easily be seen as offensive to a more open populace.
    On the flip-side of that though, people need to be aware that people are going to disagree with them and that they will be offended by speech from time to time. The response in a free society is to challenge those beliefs with fervor and beliefs of your own, not eliminate them outright, which is what many student organizations on college campuses are seeking to do. If someone wants to be asinine enough to dress up in blackface in the 21st century, they should be able to do so, and they should be criticized for it. And they should expect to be.

Yale is also the school which has refused to allow Ayaan Hirsi Ali to speak in panels because her heavy criticism of Islam is viewed as offensive. Just as Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins also have issues at universities proclaiming to be secular and free-thinking in nature.
    Hidden Content

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    If you believe in free speech, you believe in all free speech. Not just the kind you agree with.

Otherwise, you don't actually believe in free speech. You believe in selective speech, which is not the same thing.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The problem is people don't think they live in a bigger bubble when they certainly do now. People saying the world sucks today is because they are used to being in a small bubble with like minded individuals. Once you venture out of that the world suck because people are met with different opinions and who care about them to varying degrees. If you wanna wear blackface in 2015, go ahead, legally you can, but you're going to be met with criticism and a lot of attacks. Same thing with the Confederate flag. Maybe it wasn't a problem in 1970 but it is now because the history of it is understood, how people use it is seen and it's an offensive, traitorous marker. Should people be allowed to fly it on their homes? Sure, but they should understand they'll be seen as ignorant, racist and whatever else comes with it.

The problem is people don't think they live in a bigger bubble when they certainly do now. People saying the world sucks today is because they are used to being in a small bubble with like minded individuals. Once you venture out of that the world suck because people are met with different opinions and who care about them to varying degrees. If you wanna wear blackface in 2015, go ahead, legally you can, but you're going to be met with criticism and a lot of attacks. Same thing with the Confederate flag. Maybe it wasn't a problem in 1970 but it is now because the history of it is understood, how people use it is seen and it's an offensive, traitorous marker. Should people be allowed to fly it on their homes? Sure, but they should understand they'll be seen as ignorant, racist and whatever else comes with it.
    But that's what I'm saying. It's society's responsibility to respond to offensive behavior and speech, not to call for policy banning it which the Yale SGOs are doing here. People learn quickly that when you move from your small bubble to a larger one, that you need to adapt to survive. There's a sense that you are entitled to be comfortable and sheltered from societal inconveniences. in every aspect of life, public and private spheres, work and school, etc. It's just not true. Especially in a university. It's supposed to be a mashing of ideas, good and bad, simple and complex. By limiting the discourse to what's acceptable, you defeat its very purpose.
    Hidden Content

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Individuals determine what offends them. If someone offends you, don't interact or buy from them. It's not up to them to stop what they are doing in a public space, it's up to you to avoid it.

Senior Member Midget Division
    The list of demands coming out of the university of Missouri are ridiculous. I'd be damned if I'd discredit everything I worked my life to obtain to tell some college aged asshole I had "white privilege" because he demanded I do so.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/11/4666...953.1447184470

This isn't new, colleges have been doing this since the 50's, it's not a surprise. It'll die or become accepted in small areas, it won't be a huge deal/

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    The list of demands coming out of the university of Missouri are ridiculous. I'd be damned if I'd discredit everything I worked my life to obtain to tell some college aged asshole I had "white privilege" because he demanded I do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5MPzQnokMU

Senior Member Bantam Division rvbcaboose's Avatar
    Those demands are ridiculous. Thats a good way to have no one take you seriously. Its basically a way of saying "fuck you let us run this university from now on"
    Hidden Content

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears"

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Everyone just wants to be offended by something.

People got offended by the Starbucks cup, somehow. So Starbucks had to change the cup. Now people are offended by the new cup.

Fuck this world.
    I dont get why people are complaining about the color of the cups but not about how shitty their over priced coffee is. I wont go there for that reason, not because of whats on a cup I am throwing in the garbage anyway.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I dont get why people are complaining about the color of the cups but not about how shitty their over priced coffee is. I wont go there for that reason, not because of whats on a cup I am throwing in the garbage anyway.
    I'm guessing it's because the people who don't like the coffee just don't go there, and therefore don't care about the Cup.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    I am "forced" to drink out of a dunkin donuts cup that has Eagles logos on it. That offends me. Should I demand an NFL LOGO cup?

Honestly, I was in starbucks yesterday and they had Christmas music playing and their sleeve for the cup was semi-holiday themed. I'm not sure why people have to be so ridiculous. Just drink your coffee and throw out your damn cup.

Senior Member Midget Division
    It's absurd to me that anytime anyone doesn't like anything the may come across in life, they can just make a hashtag in regards, be an asshole and get what they want. How can every body be a whiny brat and society as a whole just be like "yeah, this is fine."?

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post

They can demand what ever they want. They have a right to free speech as well, even if you or I don't agree with it. What's disturbing is their treatment of the student reporter. Everyone in the crowd that gathered around him, harassing him and pushed him back should should be brought up on civil rights violations. Maybe then they'll get a clear understanding of the real meanings behind the rights they believe they are fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    They can demand what ever they want. They have a right to free speech as well, even if you or I don't agree with it. What's disturbing is their treatment of the student reporter. Everyone in the crowd that gathered around him, harassing him and pushed him back should should be brought up on civil rights violations. Maybe then they'll get a clear understanding of the real meanings behind the rights they believe they are fighting for.
    What I feel is far worse is that Carrot Top looking teacher yelling at him and then saying she needs "some muscle over here" to get him out of there. She should be fired for that.

What I feel is far worse is that Carrot Top looking teacher yelling at him and then saying she needs "some muscle over here" to get him out of there. She should be fired for that.
    I thought the same. In my follow up, I found this:

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/ne...5cacea580.html

COLUMBIA — MU faculty member Melissa Click and MU staff member Janna Basler have apologized. And Tuesday night, Click resigned her courtesy appointment with the Missouri School of Journalism.

Click was caught up in an incident Monday between a freelance photographer and protesters near the Concerned Student 1950 camp on Mel Carnahan Quadrangle.

"Yesterday was an historic day at MU — full of emotion and confusion. I have reviewed and reflected upon the video of me that is circulating, and have written this statement to offer both apology and context for my actions," Click, an assistant professor in the Department of Communication, said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon by the College of Arts and Science.

"I have reached out to the journalists involved to offer my sincere apologies and to express regret over my actions. I regret the language and strategies I used, and sincerely apologize to the MU campus community, and journalists at large, for my behavior, and also for the way my actions have shifted attention away from the students’ campaign for justice," the statement said.
    Note, that she only resigned the Courtesy Appointment, not as a teacher there. However, it seems she just got caught up in the event and has apologized sincerely to the parties she offended. That's good enough for me, personally. I don't think every time someone makes a mistake in a charged situation they should lose their job.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I thought the same. In my follow up, I found this:

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/ne...5cacea580.html

Note, that she only resigned the Courtesy Appointment, not as a teacher there. However, it seems she just got caught up in the event and has apologized sincerely to the parties she offended. That's good enough for me, personally. I don't think every time someone makes a mistake in a charged situation they should lose their job.
    In this case I feel she shouldnlose her job because calling for "muscle" means she wants something done physically, and as a teacher, thats the last thing she should be doing. She should never teach again anywhere, thats not something a teacher should be calling for, no matter what.

In this case I feel she shouldnlose her job because calling for "muscle" means she wants something done physically, and as a teacher, thats the last thing she should be doing. She should never teach again anywhere, thats not something a teacher should be calling for, no matter what.
    Given that there was no real physical altercation prior, I feel like calling for "muscle" was more of a short hand for a similar wall of people to block the guy with the camera. I think it's a pretty big stretch to think anyone would have seen this as a call to violence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast