Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Day Activism

Senior Member Midget Division

Modern Day Activism

Happy thanksgiving, guys. I'm at work right now at the parade in NYC and I've been put on the mobile arrest team and removed from my nice cushy parade detail. Apparently, people who are protesting for ferguson and against the parade in general (they don't like what thanksgiving symbolizes) and using # stoptheparade. Google it. It's fucking absurd to me, but I can understand why some people don't appreciate it.

So now my question becomes, why are people in this day and age so adamant about imposing their feelings/thoughts/opinions on everyone? I mean, maybe you don't like what thanksgiving means. Maybe you don't care about the holiday or plan on eating with your family. Why is there a necessity to disrupt everyone else and force your views in them? For a generation of "progressive" people that do nothing but talk about tolerance and equality, why do they feel the need to disrupt the lives of everyone when they don't agree with them? Why ruin thanksgiving for the tourists, the families with small children, etc on thanksgiving because you don't agree with a grand jury or don't like thanksgiving?

These people are the worst. Apparently, we can't even have a nice day on thanksgiving any more.

/end rant.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    In a symbol #.

It let's people very easily feel like they are a part of something bigger, so any thought that gains momentum gets piled on an validated at the same time. If you have a thought that you are not sure others share you are much less apt to act on it. If you see that thousands of other folks have the same thought it legitimizes it.

That puts dumb shared thoughts on the same level as intelligent ones.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Happy thanksgiving, guys. I'm at work right now at the parade in NYC and I've been put on the mobile arrest team and removed from my nice cushy parade detail. Apparently, people who are protesting for ferguson and against the parade in general (they don't like what thanksgiving symbolizes) and using # stoptheparade. Google it. It's fucking absurd to me, but I can understand why some people don't appreciate it.

So now my question becomes, why are people in this day and age so adamant about imposing their feelings/thoughts/opinions on everyone? I mean, maybe you don't like what thanksgiving means. Maybe you don't care about the holiday or plan on eating with your family. Why is there a necessity to disrupt everyone else and force your views in them? For a generation of "progressive" people that do nothing but talk about tolerance and equality, why do they feel the need to disrupt the lives of everyone when they don't agree with them? Why ruin thanksgiving for the tourists, the families with small children, etc on thanksgiving because you don't agree with a grand jury or don't like thanksgiving?

These people are the worst. Apparently, we can't even have a nice day on thanksgiving any more.

/end rant.
    Because people are assholes who don't mind their own business. These are the same type of people you end up helping when they get the shit kicked out of them for not being able to mind their own business. Me? I don't give a fuck about them. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I hope you get a chance to arrest all of them. Don't put the cuffs on too tight, or people might start flipping cars over. Enjoy your turkey.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    I've noticed a trend on Twitter lately where I think people are telling me I should be ashamed to be white, and if I'm thankful for anything in my life, I'm really just thankful for being white.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Because their parents didn't give them enough attention when they were kids.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Coming from someone who supported Occupy and various other movements over the past few years, these Anonymous #OPs are just becoming more and more absurd. They claim no responsibility for what is done in their name because there is no central administration, and because of it, any nut can just hop on and cause damage to whatever cause they are trying to promote. That's what killed Occupy. They wanted an anarchical system, but people tend to forget that people will be driven by personal ambition in that kind of system.

As for #stoptheparade and their #boycottblackfriday, they don't seem to understand that they are more likely to push people in the middle against them. They think that by going to the heart of American tradition that they will get the attention they want. But they aren't going to get support. They let the violent, "watch the world burn" people run the show. They do nothing to deter this. That's why the leading imagery out of Ferguson was rioting and looting, after months of more peaceful protest.

The point of protest is to disrupt, but also to make people stop and think. You aren't going to get that reaction by invading the parade. You are only going to lose supporters and continue to paint a negative image of modern protest.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    Coming from someone who supported Occupy and various other movements over the past few years, these Anonymous #OPs are just becoming more and more absurd. They claim no responsibility for what is done in their name because there is no central administration, and because of it, any nut can just hop on and cause damage to whatever cause they are trying to promote. That's what killed Occupy. They wanted an anarchical system, but people tend to forget that people will be driven by personal ambition in that kind of system.

As for #stoptheparade and their #boycottblackfriday, they don't seem to understand that they are more likely to push people in the middle against them. They think that by going to the heart of American tradition that they will get the attention they want. But they aren't going to get support. They let the violent, "watch the world burn" people run the show. They do nothing to deter this. That's why the leading imagery out of Ferguson was rioting and looting, after months of more peaceful protest.

The point of protest is to disrupt, but also to make people stop and think. You aren't going to get that reaction by invading the parade. You are only going to lose supporters and continue to paint a negative image of modern protest.
    Great points.

I'll tell everyone a quick story that can relate and how normal peaceful activism can be effective.

For a number of years I was taking my kids to the Ringling Bros circus. Every time I would walk in there would be about 20 or so animal rights protestors standing behind a barricade protesting against Ringling Bros and the way they handle and treat their animals. A few on microphones, most with signs. Normally I ignored them and my thoughts were like "oh just STFU", and "leave me and my kids alone". So two years ago I actually stopped and engaged one of them. Expecting another jackass with just a big mouth rambling on, the guy I talked with was actually calm, collected, and showed me some simple facts about how they mistreat the animals and kindly asked me to think about it before I come to another show.

Now with a combination of that factored in and the overall lessening of quality of the Ringling Bros shows themselves, I no longer take my kids. They aren't missing much and my son would rather go to a sporting event anyway. All Ringling Bros has to do is take away those animals and the show would be fine, but then they would have to hire more artists to take over and that would mean added salaries and benefits and I doubt they would want that. Fuck Ringling Bros.
    Last edited by I am Scags; 11-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    You don't even have to be part of a minority anymore to have an inequality chip on your shoulder. It's getting pretty crazy with all of these sub groups
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    You don't even have to be part of a minority anymore to have an inequality chip on your shoulder. It's getting pretty crazy with all of these sub groups
    Yeah, all it takes is being fat. Boom, you're a victim.

I think it has more to do with the instant gratification generation and the need for everything to happen right now. You have many different people championing many different causes and because of it, it feels like noise. Gays trying to get marriage equality while transgender people are pushing for equality while anarchist groups are pushing for income equality while blacks are fighting for justice for police brutality. It doesn't work. And the leaders of these movements are often trying to get an interconnectedness where there isn't one.

I don't have an issue with activism as petty as the causes may be. If there's an issue, work to resolve it. But we should know by now, forcing the issue is not conducive to public support of change.
    Hidden Content

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post

/end rant.
    I can't speak specifically to the #StopTheParade anti-Thanksgiving people, but the answer to your question is simple — it's not people imposing their feelings/thoughts/opinions on everyone else, as much as them fighting others doing so in the first place.

I see no issue with righteous protesting when the protest itself is over institutionalized injustice, because the original act was wrong from the start. It's not the protesters "imposing their will" on the institution. It was the institution imposing its will on everyone that the protesters are now fighting as a means to get others to do the same.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I've noticed a trend on Twitter lately where I think people are telling me I should be ashamed to be white, and if I'm thankful for anything in my life, I'm really just thankful for being white.
    Every time I turn on the news I'm really grateful for my background as a whole. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but I am really glad with my upbringing, my nationality, my sex, and my skin color, because it's all been really helpful and easy along the way and any of those four being different appear to come with hassles I really haven't experienced much of.

You know what, maybe I have, but even in those situation I was treated favorably because of at least a combination of those four.

As for modern day activism, it's really uncool and a complete waste of time to have a normal debate. The loudest voices dominate the debate and if you can't make it onto cable news or the biggest blogs, your cause and your plans are toast. You really don't count until Limbaugh or Olbermann have yelled about you or until Buzzfeed or Drudge have written about you, preferable in all caps and with embedded tweets.

It's hard to be nuanced nowadays and that's really unfortunate.
    Last edited by Jules; 12-01-2014 at 12:51 PM.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    This has been going on at Yale:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/09/ny...ee-speech.html

The debate over Halloween costumes began late last month when the university’s Intercultural Affairs Committee sent an email to the student body asking students to avoid wearing “culturally unaware and insensitive” costumes that could offend minority students. It specifically advised them to steer clear of outfits that included elements like feathered headdresses, turbans or blackface.

In response, Erika Christakis, a faculty member and an administrator at a student residence, wrote an email to students living in her residence hall on behalf of those she described as “frustrated” by the official advice on Halloween costumes. Students should be able to wear whatever they want, she wrote, even if they end up offending people.

An early childhood educator, she asked whether blond toddlers should be barred from being dressed as African-American or Asian characters from Disney films.

“Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious … a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive?” she wrote. “American universities were once a safe space not only for maturation but also for a certain regressive, or even transgressive, experience; increasingly, it seems, they have become places of censure and prohibition.”

Ms. Christakis’s email touched on a long-running debate over the balance between upholding free speech and protecting students from hurt feelings or personal offense. It also provoked a firestorm of condemnation from Yale students, hundreds of whom signed an open letter criticizing her argument that “free speech and the ability to tolerate offence” should take precedence over other considerations.

“To ask marginalized students to throw away their enjoyment of a holiday, in order to expend emotional, mental, and physical energy to explain why something is offensive, is — offensive,” the letter said. “To be a student of color on Yale’s campus is to exist in a space that was not created for you.”
    This is a video in which students confronted a faculty member, who happens to be the husband of the woman who wrote the dissenting email:

The most poignant thing in this is when he says, "Who gets to decide what is offensive?" And the response is, "When it HURTS me! When it's offensive to ME!"

That's the worst part about all of this modern day activism. It so selfish. It's all about "ME".

I really worry about what happens when these people grow up and start to get some sort of power. These are almost neo-Puritans.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Everyone just wants to be offended by something.

People got offended by the Starbucks cup, somehow. So Starbucks had to change the cup. Now people are offended by the new cup.

Fuck this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    This has been going on at Yale:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/09/ny...ee-speech.html

This is a video in which students confronted a faculty member, who happens to be the husband of the woman who wrote the dissenting email:

The most poignant thing in this is when he says, "Who gets to decide what is offensive?" And the response is, "When it HURTS me! When it's offensive to ME!"

That's the worst part about all of this modern day activism. It so selfish. It's all about "ME".

I really worry about what happens when these people grow up and start to get some sort of power. These are almost neo-Puritans.
    Your last sentence accurately represents my opinion on this. It's a witch hunt that I believe will ultimately alienate the majority from minorities even further than they are. I cannot comprehend why liberals are largely ok with this notion of curbing or outright censoring free speech simply because it is offensive. It goes back to the trigger debate we had months ago; what's offensive is largely in part subjective. While there are some topics and words we may as a society consider offensive, they are not universal.

I consider myself an 'ally' to many of the social causes out there right now. But there's a right way to go about effecting change - advocacy and legislation - and there is a wrong way. The wrong way is to shout the loudest and shout bigot at every opinion that doesn't align with your own. It really speaks to the level of discourse at educational institutions when we are challenging the very notion of free speech.
    Hidden Content

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Just watch Thunderfoot on youtube. Guys pretty much nails every thing, every time.

Senior Member Bantam Division Tonybologna's Avatar
    Absolutely no concept or understanding of free speech to these Yale students.

"You stand behind free speech even when it's offensive?!"

They don't seem to realize that that's the whole point. Popular speech doesn't need protecting the way offensive, unpopular speech does. But sadly, I think these types of over-the-top PC activists don't understand that, or would shit all over it to see their unrealistic safe space come into fruition.

Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    "When a person tell you that you hurt them, you don't get to decide that you didn't"

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Everyone just wants to be offended by something.

People got offended by the Starbucks cup, somehow. So Starbucks had to change the cup. Now people are offended by the new cup.

Fuck this world.
    This post offends me.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Joking aside, fuck the world. Seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast