• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Best On-Line PC Backup Service ?

RangersRule2

Any of you guys have any thoughts on all the online backup systems ?

I don't add critical stuff that often, but what I've accumulated over many years I would not want to lose even on my extra HD's because of a fire or anything. So I'm gonna probably get one soon, though I guess I am going to have to prioritize data to be saved now and in the future since my C-Drive has 100 gigs and my D-Drive is at 240 gigs. But the C-Drive is mostly programs, I save my updated stuff on the D-Drive and that's mostly YouTubes, Blu-Ray cartoons/movies, etc. Probably 20-40 gigs of pictures, documents, etc.

Friends use Mozy, Carbonie, and BackBlaze.

Thoughts on those or other methods like iDrive, DropBox, Google Cloud, etc. ?

I currently use Crashplan and have for a few years. It's very easy to set up just like backblaze or carbonite. I think it's something like $40/year for unlimited storage. I've been very happy with it, I've had to reformat my machine and was luckily able to re-map my drives with my backup so I didn't have to re-backup everything. I currently have 3 terabytes backed up with them.

I'd get a good external anyway. They're relatively cheap and pretty safe.

As far as backup goes - if you're worried about information security I would be wary online backup. Dropbox is actually rather open, Google Cloud is good, but it's one password away from global access (and that includes your digital imprint) and iCloud/iDrive have been leaked numerous times.

I suppose the way I'd put it is this - if you use an online backup, use one with multiple layers of security. Else, I'd use a hard backup.

Any of you guys have any thoughts on all the online backup systems ?

I don't add critical stuff that often, but what I've accumulated over many years I would not want to lose even on my extra HD's because of a fire or anything. So I'm gonna probably get one soon, though I guess I am going to have to prioritize data to be saved now and in the future since my C-Drive has 100 gigs and my D-Drive is at 240 gigs. But the C-Drive is mostly programs, I save my updated stuff on the D-Drive and that's mostly YouTubes, Blu-Ray cartoons/movies, etc. Probably 20-40 gigs of pictures, documents, etc.

Friends use Mozy, Carbonie, and BackBlaze.

Thoughts on those or other methods like iDrive, DropBox, Google Cloud, etc. ?

what OS? Do you have USB 3.0? I'd create a backup on external first and run an online backup afterwards. A massive failure on a backup can corrupt your files.

2TB are pretty cheap these days.

I currently use Crashplan and have for a few years. It's very easy to set up just like backblaze or carbonite. I think it's something like $40/year for unlimited storage. I've been very happy with it, I've had to reformat my machine and was luckily able to re-map my drives with my backup so I didn't have to re-backup everything. I currently have 3 terabytes backed up with them.

I use Crash Plan as well and have been very happy with it. I use it for both and online backup and to keep a backup on another machine. Everything syncs up beautifully, it's no hassle and the machine to machine backup part is free. They also offer a family plan as well. You can access your backed up files using another computer or mobile device. Finally, they have family plans that let you back up, I think, like 10 devices to the cloud.

Here are their different plans:

https://www.code42.com/store/

Archived