• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Clint Eastwood's 'American Sniper' Trailer Released

Phil

My wife has read his book and is really big into all of the stories revolved around him and is dying to see this, the trailer isn't great but we are very excited for this movie, will be there opening night no doubt.

:wtf:

Yeah, this trailer is incredible. In barely a glimpse it managed to put you right there in the head of Chris Kyle having to make a life and death decision (for both he and the would-be victim) about whether or not to take out a child.

Right off the bat it goes to show you the stress of the job is so much more mental than physical, because if he kills that kid and the device turns out to be a dud, or a toy, or something not designed to attack U.S. forces, he gets burned, and if he doesn't shoot the kid, and it is an IED, then he's responsible for allowing that device to potentially harm or kill his fellow soldiers on the ground.

I've read his book that is the only reason I know more about his story than most people plus she is really big into all these stories. I didn't happen to like the trailer and she agreed. I think the film is going to be amazing and is definitely my most anticipated movie in a long while. She does a lot of work with the National War Plane Museum so gets a lot of information from Vets and it seems like this is supposed to be very realistic.

Didn't love it.

Nor did I, but the movie is incredibly raw and gets impactful in the way it presents its story. My friend served two tours in Afghanistan as a Marine and had to leave right after the chopper was shot out of the sky. He started having panic attacks. He's never really reacted to any war movie like that before, including Hurt Locker, which is also a very intense movie.

I'd probably never watch Lone Survivor again, if for no other reason than it's just tough to watch people go through that sort of thing and know that most of it is very much based in fact. It isn't something I'd consider entertaining.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Lone Survivor failed due to actors selection, IMO. Mark Wahlberg, especially. He wasn't really fit for that role. Whatever battle-related role you want to cast him in needs to be more along the lines of Jerry Bruckheimer than anything else.

The two other guys seemed to fit more of the SEAL operator type while Wahlberg and to a lesser extent Foster didn't seem to fit that type, at least not to me.

I still thought it was a decent war film but doesn't come close to the big boys like Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw it tonight...

Ok I thought it was a very good movie. Very emotional, very moving. A small but decent window into combat PTSD for sure. An all time great war flick? No, but again very good. Once I knew the movie was getting near its conclusion I started to feel really sad because you know his death is coming and that's just at the time that Chris has finally gained a little bit of normalcy back to his life with his family.

I'm a real nitpicker for war films though, and people might laugh but I tend to notice some of the small errors and imperfections.

For example the very first scene, a Marine convoy is rolling up and it was supposed to be when the US was invading in March 2003 (that was Chris Kyle's first official kill). The Marines that his SEAL unit was attached to would have been wearing older 3 tone desert camo along with their NBC mop gear, most of it still woodland camo, and not the newer digital camo unis that were just coming into service (I know its a movie :p)

Another thing was that the very first tank in the movie is not even an M1A1 or M1A2 but a old M60 fitted to look like an Abrams. And as far as I know the Marines in 2004 Iraq would never be dropping out of an old M113A3 armored carrier. Those were used exclusively by US Army engineer units in Iraq, or sometimes with Air base security at the start of the Iraq war. Marines in the initial invasion or later in 2004 Fallujah would be dropping out of either AAVP7 amphibious carriers ("tuna cans") or 8 wheeled LAVs, and even MTVR trucks

By his 4th tour they finally got it right with heavily up armored humvees and MRAPS.

Thats why for me an all time great like Saving Private Ryan got it right, every vehicle, every piece of equipment from the rifles down to the patches and badges was authentic.

All said Bradley Cooper was phenomenal and I'm sure will be up for an oscar.

Bradley Cooper was fantastic...I really enjoyed the movie and got to see it during the first available showing up here, 7pm on Thursday so worked for me.

I thought they did an excellent job about telling his true story and Cooper really did become Kyle. I was also very happy that they at least pointed out his work after being out of the service and helping others. I wasn't quite sure that part would have been mentioned but it was something that showed the person he was. Definitely a good watch.

Archived