Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Islanders Set Brooklyn Prices

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Incorrect.

The LIRR is literally one block away (across the street), and there are eleven subway stops all within a two-block walk.

It's incredibly easy to get there via public transportation.
    I didn't say there was a stop, I said it was a pain in the ass for LIRR riders because there aren't many trains that go over to Atlantic Terminal. There a re subways, but if you live on Lomg ISland, like most of their fans, it is a pain in the ass, I wasn't talking about people from the city.

Also not true. There's not as much seating as Penn, but there is a seated section inside Atlantic Terminal, right next to the main ticket windows on the lower level. There's also a larger standing waiting area in front of the entrances to each train line, just like in Penn.

You are correct about transferring at Jamaica, but it's not that big of a deal, and the thirty minutes thing is also not true. The longest I've ever waited was 22, and the actual switch-over between the main line (Ronkonkoma/Hicksville/Penn) and the AT line is 12-14 minutes.
    There is plenty to do at Penn Station, not much to do at Jamaica, and the area around Jamacia station isn't great either. I don't know much about the Atlantic Terminal, I haven't been there in years, but Im sure it doesn't offer as much as Penn. Penn has a big waiting area, plus some bars and food spots in and around it if you have a lengthy wait. You also have to remember at night, the Babylon/Hicksville lines are the only lines with 2 trains per hour, and after 1030, it drops to 1 an hour, BAbylon has 2, but new an express so it only makes 2 stops after Jamaica, so if you miss that connection, your waiting at Jamaica for a while, and they have no indoor waiting room, its all outside, so in the winter, you freeze. I take the LIRR at all different times, the day time has more trains than the night time. Plus, you only have 1 train leaving Atlantic, so everyone s pouring onto 1 train after the game trying to catch their connecting train at Jamaica, where at Penn, you have different trains going to different locations, so not everyone is on the same train.

My wifes cousin is a huge Islanders fan and he had upper level seats in the first 3 rows behind the net, and he showed me a picture from up there and told me that you can't see from the hash marks in from up there.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I didn't say there was a stop, I said it was a pain in the ass for LIRR riders because there aren't many trains that go over to Atlantic Terminal. There a re subways, but if you live on Lomg ISland, like most of their fans, it is a pain in the ass, I wasn't talking about people from the city.
    I've been taking the train from Long Island to Atlantic Terminal for more than ten years. It's easy as can be. Especially now that Barclays is in place. I was taking it long before Atlantic Terminal was even there. Back when it was just Flatbush Avenue. Before Target and Guitar Center, and the giant mall, and Office Max and Best Buy and all those places moved in.

There is plenty to do at Penn Station, not much to do at Jamaica, and the area around Jamacia station isn't great either. I don't know much about the Atlantic Terminal, I haven't been there in years, but Im sure it doesn't offer as much as Penn. Penn has a big waiting area, plus some bars and food spots in and around it if you have a lengthy wait. You also have to remember at night, the Babylon/Hicksville lines are the only lines with 2 trains per hour, and after 1030, it drops to 1 an hour, BAbylon has 2, but new an express so it only makes 2 stops after Jamaica, so if you miss that connection, your waiting at Jamaica for a while, and they have no indoor waiting room, its all outside, so in the winter, you freeze. I take the LIRR at all different times, the day time has more trains than the night time. Plus, you only have 1 train leaving Atlantic, so everyone s pouring onto 1 train after the game trying to catch their connecting train at Jamaica, where at Penn, you have different trains going to different locations, so not everyone is on the same train.
    Again, take it from someone whose been doing that exact commute for ten years. It's easy. It may not be as easy as a straight shot to Penn because a straight shot to Penn doesn't require a transfer, but in terms of distance from station to stadium it is. It just requires a transfer for anyone not coming off the Far Rockaway line. That's the only line that doesn't require a transfer. And let's not make transfers out to be some excruciating experience. For 99% of riders it means stepping off the train, walking six feet to the other side and walking onto the train waiting there, or the one following it, which takes less than 3 minutes. Late at night those numbers rise, as they would for any train, even the ones out of Penn.

It doesn't have to offer "as much" as Penn. Of course it doesn't. But it offers a ton. There's a Starbucks right inside, as well as a direct entrance to Atlantic Terminal that has McDonalds, Applebee's, Bath and Body Works, Best Buy, Victoria's Secret, Old Navy, etc. etc. etc. It's a giant mall dropped right into downtown Brooklyn.

The bit about freezing is also not true. There are numerous indoor, heated waiting areas at Jamaica along the platform, as well as the elevated area that connects all the lines that is also heated. The only way you'd freeze is if you stood out in the cold for no reason.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Apparently the LIRR is going to run local trains to Babylon and Ronk after Islander games so passengers on those lines will have a one seat ride home. Weekend games they could in theory run direct trains from Babylon/Huntington/Ronk right to AT as well. During the week I doubt there's anything they can do in terms of getting fans there faster as they need all the trains they have for the evening rush.

I've been taking the train from Long Island to Atlantic Terminal for more than ten years. It's easy as can be. Especially now that Barclays is in place. I was taking it long before Atlantic Terminal was even there. Back when it was just Flatbush Avenue. Before Target and Guitar Center, and the giant mall, and Office Max and Best Buy and all those places moved in.

Again, take it from someone whose been doing that exact commute for ten years. It's easy. It may not be as easy as a straight shot to Penn because a straight shot to Penn doesn't require a transfer, but in terms of distance from station to stadium it is. It just requires a transfer for anyone not coming off the Far Rockaway line. That's the only line that doesn't require a transfer. And let's not make transfers out to be some excruciating experience. For 99% of riders it means stepping off the train, walking six feet to the other side and walking onto the train waiting there, or the one following it, which takes less than 3 minutes. Late at night those numbers rise, as they would for any train, even the ones out of Penn.

It doesn't have to offer "as much" as Penn. Of course it doesn't. But it offers a ton. There's a Starbucks right inside, as well as a direct entrance to Atlantic Terminal that has McDonalds, Applebee's, Bath and Body Works, Best Buy, Victoria's Secret, Old Navy, etc. etc. etc. It's a giant mall dropped right into downtown Brooklyn.

The bit about freezing is also not true. There are numerous indoor, heated waiting areas at Jamaica along the platform, as well as the elevated area that connects all the lines that is also heated. The only way you'd freeze is if you stood out in the cold for no reason.
    Again though, your looking at it traveling from the city, not Long Island where most of the fans are coming from. Take my station for example, ifI were at a game tonight, and I was catching a 9:45 train from Atlantic Terminal, by their schedule, it would take me an hour and 22 minutes to get home. Its normally a 48 minute ride from Jamaica, and its 20 minutes from Jamaica to AT. Its normally about an hour 10 minutes from Penn to my stop, so its a little more inconvenient coming from Long Island. And then you run into more issues come playoff time if say it goes to double or triple overtime. If you look at the guys coming from far out, its a pain in the ass. Id hate to see how long it is from Ronkonkama which is further east than me. What really sucks too is that there is no place to park there, so everyone has to take mass transit. The other thing, like I said is that at least from Penn, you don't have a majority of the Garden getting onto one train trying to get home like you kind of will here with everyone trying to get back to Jamaica to catch their connecting train.

Quote Originally Posted by EdMc28 View Post
    Apparently the LIRR is going to run local trains to Babylon and Ronk after Islander games so passengers on those lines will have a one seat ride home. Weekend games they could in theory run direct trains from Babylon/Huntington/Ronk right to AT as well. During the week I doubt there's anything they can do in terms of getting fans there faster as they need all the trains they have for the evening rush.
    That would be better, but with the railroad crying they have no money, and all of these projects going on.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Again though, your looking at it traveling from the city, not Long Island where most of the fans are coming from. Take my station for example, ifI were at a game tonight, and I was catching a 9:45 train from Atlantic Terminal, by their schedule, it would take me an hour and 22 minutes to get home. Its normally a 48 minute ride from Jamaica, and its 20 minutes from Jamaica to AT. Its normally about an hour 10 minutes from Penn to my stop, so its a little more inconvenient coming from Long Island. And then you run into more issues come playoff time if say it goes to double or triple overtime. If you look at the guys coming from far out, its a pain in the ass. Id hate to see how long it is from Ronkonkama which is further east than me. What really sucks too is that there is no place to park there, so everyone has to take mass transit. The other thing, like I said is that at least from Penn, you don't have a majority of the Garden getting onto one train trying to get home like you kind of will here with everyone trying to get back to Jamaica to catch their connecting train.
    No I'm not. I'm looking at it from traveling from Ronkonkoma, where my parents live, and Hicksville (same line) where I worked for over fifteen years. Traveling every weekend.

From what I recall, they already have preliminary plans to run numerous extra trains on game nights. It won't be the two per hour schedule they run on now.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I wonder how the dynamic of this rivalry now changes for the fanbases?

While there may be some small or some large pockets of Islander fans in the city that go back to their glory years of the early 1980s, for the most part I've always viewed the Islanders as the "suburban" team with the suburban fans. Fans who drove to the Nassau Coliseum, fans who were not Park Avenue but were middle class working people from Eastern Nassau and Suffolk County.

Will those same fans still come to Brooklyn? People talk about the fans who are supposedly flush with cash living within the city that their rooting history dates back to the 80s, but again what does this mean for the fan who lives out in Commack or Islip? Will they still be a part of this thing in Brooklyn? Interesting to see how this goes in Brooklyn
    Last edited by I am Scags; 07-06-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    Will those same fans still come to Brooklyn? People talk about the fans who are supposedly flush with cash living within the city that their rooting history dates back to the 80s, but again what does this mean for the fan who lives out in Commack or Islip? Will they still be a part of this thing in Brooklyn? Interesting to see how this goes in Brooklyn
    I mean they weren't going to the Coliseum, so I doubt it.

I would be really surprised if the Isles name lasted more than another 2-3 years before they rebrand completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I mean they weren't going to the Coliseum, so I doubt it.

I would be really surprised if the Isles name lasted more than another 2-3 years before they rebrand completely.
    lol This is true. And I figure that a lousy team coupled with the fact that they were a lame duck franchise never helped them in Nassau.

Yea I'm curious too as well to see how the brand lasts and how they go with that moving forward. The "Nets" name is universal but the name Islanders just doesn't have a Brooklyn feel to it.

They are going to attract fans because its in NYC, the problem is will the same fans keep going because the sight lines are terrible. I know a couple of people that have gone to games and they all say that it sucks for hockey, and it was never built for hockey, it was built for basketball. That upper level is going to be the death of that place, it completely blocks from the hash marks in on both sides if you sit behind the nets.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    The fking scoreboard isn't over center ice.

For that reason alone, I don't know if I can attend a game there. I have a mental barrier to non-symmetrical things. I'm bothered just looking at that picture.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    The fking scoreboard isn't over center ice. For that reason alone, I don't know if I can attend a game there. I have a mental barrier to non-symmetrical things. I'm bothered just looking at that picture.
    That hurts my eyes, no joke. Shit like that annoys me to no end.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

That's an OCD nightmare lol

I used to hate how the camera at Nassau was set on the road teams blueline, I'll be curious to see where this one is set

Future is Unwritten - The Clash Pee-Wee Division Revolution Rock's Avatar
    Has there been an announcement if they were adding Brooklyn to their name/logo at all to capitalize on 'BROOKLYN" like the Nets?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution Rock View Post
    Has there been an announcement if they were adding Brooklyn to their name/logo at all to capitalize on 'BROOKLYN" like the Nets?
    I was hoping they would completely rebrand. NY islanders/Brooklyn islanders makes no sense since they're not on Long Island anymore (yes I know they technically are but you know what I mean). I have also always hated the name and logo but that's a different story.

They are going to attract fans because its in NYC, the problem is will the same fans keep going because the sight lines are terrible. I know a couple of people that have gone to games and they all say that it sucks for hockey, and it was never built for hockey, it was built for basketball. That upper level is going to be the death of that place, it completely blocks from the hash marks in on both sides if you sit behind the nets.
    arent they slowly remodeling it to make it better for hockey?

I remember hearing this a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    arent they slowly remodeling it to make it better for hockey?

I remember hearing this a while back.
    They would have to completely rip out the upper level and redo it, I don't see how they can make it better with the team playing there full time now. They have booked a ton of things right now, and the last thing they would want to do is shut down for the summer to do renovations on a brand new building.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    I was hoping they would completely rebrand. NY islanders/Brooklyn islanders makes no sense since they're not on Long Island anymore (yes I know they technically are but you know what I mean). I have also always hated the name and logo but that's a different story.
    I don't see them adding in Brooklyn to the name. They are the New York Islanders, not Long Island Islanders. It would be like the Rangers changing to the Manhattan Rangers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast