• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Summer TV Series Binge

josh

What are your recommendations?

Other than a few shows - The Shield, True Blood, The Walking Dead, I haven't seen many full series. I am looking for recommendations of a show to binge watch this summer.

Cant be too slow, and no reality shows. If you are recommending a slower paced show - tell me when to watch... If I watch 2.04 - 2.06 and its good, I can start from the beginning without issue.... that's actually how I start getting hooked on any series.

Complete series only?

Check out Ray Donavan, if not. It's one season in, and the first season was great.

Full series —*Mad Men, Spartacus.

No, doesn't not need to be a complete series. Can be something going on now, but not something that's 4 episodes into its first season. I want something to kill an entire weekend, if I feel like it.

No, doesn't not need to be a complete series. Can be something going on now, but not something that's 4 episodes into its first season. I want something to kill an entire weekend, if I feel like it.

Then Ray Donovan is a reco. Spartacus is only 3 seasons, total, to that would be in your wheelhouse, as well.

Netflix

Copper - BBC show. Takes place in New York during the civil war, after the draft riots. Definitely recommend.

Sherlock - Ok, these are more like mini movies, but still, theres 9 episodes. Go for it.

House of Cards - Theres a reason for the hype. Netflix's best show by far.

Breaking Bad - Need i say more.

Sons of Anarchy - This is one of the few shows that i will tune in each week to watch, its that good.

Red vs. Blue - This is the basis for my username. An old web series based off of the Halo video games, its pretty fucking comedic for the first 5 seasons, which you could theoretically end on.

Hell on Wheels - AMC show about the building of the railroad in post civil war america.

If you have Amazon Prime, check out their HBO collection. Here are my favorites

Band of Brothers - The best WWII show or movie out there. Leaps better than The Pacific, but i suppose you could watch that too.

Generation Kill - Based off of a book of the same name, it follows a group of 1st recon marines as they make their way to Baghdad in 2003.

John Adams - If you're into History or want to know more about one of Americas most influential founding fathers, watch this.

I would also recommend Deadwood, but its kind of a slow show.

Other Amazon Prime shows

Justified - Timothy Olyphant is US Marsha Raylan Givens who is transferred back to his home Harlan County, Kentucky. Great show, underrated IMO.

Finally, if you don't mind anime, watch Attack on Titan.

Thats all I can think of right now.

It's mentioned above as well, but yes, BBC's Sherlock is fantastic and it's pretty easy and awesome to watch, because it's nine movies of around 90 minutes. Three seasons of three episodes that feel far more elaborate. You can watch each one separate or binge through some. They have some overarching storylines, but the main part is always one single case or story that gets wrapped up by the end of it. It's CSI, but brilliant and with amazing actors. A++ show.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Luther. Its another BBC series that finished up. Its about a troubled cop named John Luther. Its phenomenal acting by Idris Elba(Stringer Bell from the Wire).

I've been binging Mad Men on Netflix the last 2 weeks. I'm currently on season 5 and definitely recommend it.

I'll second Sherlock as well. Really great story and fantastic acting from Cumberbatch and Freeman.

I know you've probably heard this from everyone else on the planet, but if you haven't watched the Wire, and have HBOGO, watch it. It is 5 seasons long and probably the best show I've ever watched.

Archived