• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

2014 BSBH Year End Awards: Discussion, Questions & Suggestions

It's that time of year again, folks. The season is over for the New York Rangers and the National Hockey League, but the season on the BlueshirtsBrotherhood Forums never ends. As is customary to commemorate the end of the hockey year, the BSBH Year End Awards are back for another run.

For those of you who've been with us for these before, you should be able to skip to the end of this thread if you want to contribute, but for those who are new to the idea, the following is for you:

--

Synopsis:

1. A series of threads in a temporary forum section will be created where users will nominate other users here for each award by simply writing out their name/handle as a post. You can be as detailed as you like in explaining why you are nominating a user, or simply list their names out with no explanation.

Nominations will run for one full week (seven days), and at the end of that seven day period the Staff (painstakingly) take the time to hand count the votes to create the actual polls from.

?
Nominations Week will run from July 17th to July 23rd.

2. The original nominations are closed, and the polls for each award is created. All users with at least 50 posts are then allowed to vote for another one-week period (seven days) before the votes are finalized and the awards as signature graphics are handed out.

?
Voting Week will run from July 24th to July 30th.

An example of one of those graphics from last years awards is below:

clutterbuck_1213.png

All winners will be announced on July 31st.

2014 Updates:

Discontinued Awards:

? N/A

New Awards:

? N/A

New Rules:

? All previous year award winners are eliminated from contention for nominations or voting this year

The Following Awards Will Be Available This Year:

? 'The Cal Clutterbuck Award' for the user with the best forum handle

? 'The Black Ace Award' for the user who spends the most time on the forum not posting anything hockey related.

? 'The Brian Leetch Award' for the impact rookie poster of the year

? 'The Hart Memorial Award' for the most valuable poster

? 'The "Nice Sig" Award' for the user with the best signature graphic

? 'The Ville Nieminen Award' for funniest user

? 'The Forever Frozen Award' for the most hockey obsessed user

? 'The Don Cherry Award' for the most opinionated and outspoken user

? 'The Derek Boogaard Award' for the toughest user to argue/debate with

? 'The Deion Sanders Award' for the user who posts exceptionally across multiple sports

? 'The X's and O's Award' for the user who writes the most organized/in-depth posts

? 'The Pavel Datsyuk Award' for the user who has created the most creative thread discussions

? 'The Tom Renney "Good Guy" Award' for the user who's nicest/most polite

? 'The Gordie Clark Award' for the user who best shares prospect information

? 'The Martin Straka Award' for the most unsung user

? 'The Cross-River Rivals Award' for best forum rivalry

? 'The Tom Nevins Memorial Award' for the user who goes above and beyond for another user (Users provide citations in order to nominate)

? 'The Tim Thomas Award' for the most active user on political and non-hockey news topics

? 'The John Tortorella Award' for the user most defensive of a player, coach or idea

? 'The Martin Biron Award' for the nicest/best moderator

? 'The Anton Str?lman Award' for the most improved user

VOTING/NOMINATION RULES:

? A user must receive at least
two
nominations to be eligible for an award

? In the event of a tie both winners will share the win

? Nominations last one week (seven days).

? Voting lasts one week (seven days).

? Only five nominees can vie for an award.

? If you do not wish to take part in these awards, you must PM me to let me know now so that I can include you on the opted-out list so you aren't included in the polling.

? All previous year award winners are eliminated from contention for nominations or voting.

Last Years' Winners:

'The Brian Leetch Award' for the impact rookie user of the year

Bretzky

'The Black Ace Award' for the user who posts the most non-hockey related material

quickrelease

'The Tim Thomas Award' for the most active political/non-hockey user

NoControl

'The Martin Straka Award' for the most unsung user

Respecttheblue

'The Deion Sanders Award' for the user who posts exceptionally across multiple sports

Chappie

'The Cal Clutterbuck Award' for the user with the best forum handle

Saucy Mitts

'The Gordie Clark Award' for the user who best shares information on prospects

TwoMinutesForNothing

'The Tom Nevins Memorial Award' for the user who goes above and beyond

Jules

'The "Nice Sig" Award' for best signature graphic

Mikey37

'The Anton Str?lman Award' for the most improved user

Ranger Lothbrok

'The Ville Nieminen Award' for the funniest user

Mikey37

'The Derek Boogaard Award' for the user who is toughest to argue/debate with

Peetie27

'The Hart Memorial Award' for most valuable poster

NoControl

'The X's and O's Award' for the user who writes the most organized/in-depth posts

NoControl

'The Don Cherry Award' for the most opinionated and outspoken user

Peetie27

'The Tom Renney Award' for the most polite/friendly user

Mr Smith

'The Pavel Datsyuk Award' for the user with the most creative thread(s)

Rome 2.0

'The John Tortorella Award' for the user most defensive of a player, coach or idea

ZebraDude

'The Martin Biron Award' for the nicest/best moderator

Jules

'The Forever Frozen Award' for the most hockey obsessed user

PuckHead

'The Cross-River Rivals Award' for the best forum rivalry

Peetie27 v. ZebraDude

--

Please weigh in with any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms you might have over the next week (six days), as the awards are set to begin nominations July 17th. Any and all changes to the awards will be applied BEFORE, not after that date, so again, if you have any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms, now is your time to voice them.

If you have any ideas for new awards, please post them here as well. Awards should be positive, encouraging and engaging. Please do not suggest negative awards like "Most annoying user", or "Person you'd most like to punch in the face", etc.

Thanks,

Phil

I'm all ears on Moore, but I'm not sure he qualifies. The reason the Str?lman award makes so much sense as is is because he was nearly out of the league and turned that into a huge contract as a top-4 defender, and really resurrected his career here.

How about a Matt Cooke Award? An award for a poster who's received the most infractions/bannings yet still somehow keeps sticking around :D I'm not sure if anyone would actually want to have the dubious honor of that award but thought might as well have some fun with it.

Fair enough. Well to put a positive spin on it, how about the Theo Fleury award for a poster who's been in a lot of deep shit but has recovered to become a valuable contributing member of the forum?

Str?lman award, no?

This also creates a slippery slope to exposing users' disciplinary history for this.

I think most wear it as an ironic badge of honor. I would probably win given my infraction point total is now down to 0 for the first time since 2011

On a Fleury-type award? I suppose, but still, how do you determine the criteria without opening up the disciplinary history of other users? I'm not doing that.

The only way this flies is if users essentially self-nominate by listing the number of infractions/warnings they've received, or the type, and then are all included in a poll.

Why? Richter isn't really known for his politics. Do most fans even know what he's doing these days?

Since retiring, Richter has been know to be involved with politics. I just thought it would be nice to have the award named after a Ranger and not an ex Islander ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rename Ville Nieminen Award the Roberto Luongo Award.

Some award based on best usage of advanced stats maybe?

Too niche. We don't have enough users who understand them well enough, let alone use them properly to have a level playing field. It'd basically be an award given each year to Dave and Ray, with one or two users mixed in each year for flavor.

Since retiring, Richter has been know to be involved with politics. I just thought it would be nice to have the award named after a Ranger and not an ex Islander ;)

I'd consider that a legitimate complaint if he ever actually played a game for them.

I just don't think Richter's name is nearly as synonymous with Politics the way Tim Thomas' is.

Nah, I know what you mean. I just wish Richter's name was more synonymous. Ideally, all the awards would be Rangers-themed, but some are just too obscure and difficult to force. I kinda think that's one of them, unfortunately.

Nah, I know what you mean. I just wish Richter's name was more synonymous. Ideally, all the awards would be Rangers-themed, but some are just too obscure and difficult to force. I kinda think that's one of them, unfortunately.

Why not just make it the Ken Dryden Award. He's a lawyer and politician.

Archived