Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [G] Brandon Halverson with 2nd Round (59th) Pick

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Any change Halverson gets sent back for an overage year with Hellburg the essentially established starter in Hartford and Skapski also signed with an additional year away from his surgery?

I'd think there's a chance given his performance last season, but he may have a good camp too.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    I would assume he's back in Sault Ste. Marie. Hellberg and Malcolm seem to be the tandem with Skapski hanging out with Swamp Rabbits.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    I would assume he's back in Sault Ste. Marie. Hellberg and Malcolm seem to be the tandem with Skapski hanging out with Swamp Rabbits.
    Malcolm is a UFA. Despite his improvement I doubt he's brought back especially at 27.

Chances are you've got Hellberg staying put with Skapski and Halverson moving back and forth between Hartford and Greenville. The trend for goaltender development seems to be in the ECHL. Can't argue with it. Sending Halverson back to junior won't do much for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Malcolm is a UFA. Despite his improvement I doubt he's brought back especially at 27.

Chances are you've got Hellberg staying put with Skapski and Halverson moving back and forth between Hartford and Greenville. The trend for goaltender development seems to be in the ECHL. Can't argue with it. Sending Halverson back to junior won't do much for him.
    Malcolm I think they would bring back because he played pretty well last year and they don't want to rush Skapski.

He was pretty shaky and I see him spending a lot of time in Greenville. I understand your point with Halverson though. Either way they will want each respective goalie in a starting role most likely so they aren't idling.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm I think they would bring back because he played pretty well last year and they don't want to rush Skapski.

He was pretty shaky and I see him spending a lot of time in Greenville. I understand your point with Halverson though. Either way they will want each respective goalie in a starting role most likely so they aren't idling.
    They really aren't rushing Skapski. He can handle an AHL backup position just fine. He needs AHL starts more than ECHL starts at this point. The problem was how he was transitioned back in after his hip injury. He was only half of himself this season. Hopefully, he takes the summer to rehabilitate some more.

Malcolm while much improved this season over his previous two doesn't need to be brought back if it's just in a backup role. It would be better to try and have some competition amongst Halverson and Skapski. Starting is great, but the level of competition is just as if not more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    They really aren't rushing Skapski. He can handle an AHL backup position just fine. He needs AHL starts more than ECHL starts at this point. The problem was how he was transitioned back in after his hip injury. He was only half of himself this season. Hopefully, he takes the summer to rehabilitate some more.

Malcolm while much improved this season over his previous two doesn't need to be brought back if it's just in a backup role. It would be better to try and have some competition amongst Halverson and Skapski. Starting is great, but the level of competition is just as if not more important.
    By rush wasn't talking about development. More so return from injury. Even though he was healthy his side to side movements were more labored than usual. Obviously time has passed but would make sense to ease him back into it.

Competition would be good thing though to ultimately get the most ready guy in that spot.
    Hidden Content

By rush wasn't talking about development. More so return from injury. Even though he was healthy his side to side movements were more labored than usual. Obviously time has passed but would make sense to ease him back into it.

Competition would be good thing though to ultimately get the most ready guy in that spot.
    Agreed though Skapski wasn't great laterally even before the injury. Just made matters slightly worse. Hopefully, the summer helps him. If not that another Ranger goalie prospect lost to a hip injury after showing some promise. Though Stajcer was a lot further.

Halverson has had a decent start in the ECHL with Greenville (go Swamp Rabbits!). 3-1-0 with a 1.70 GAA and a .943 Sv%. Could warrant a call-up soon with both Hellberg and Skapski struggling in Hartford.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Long live the King's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Halverson has had a decent start in the ECHL with Greenville (go Swamp Rabbits!). 3-1-0 with a 1.70 GAA and a .943 Sv%. Could warrant a call-up soon with both Hellberg and Skapski struggling in Hartford.
    Halverson has been called up and Skapski sent down...

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Halverson has been called up and Skapski sent down...
    Makes sense. Skapski hasn't been the same since hip surgery, and has been the worse of the two goalies in Hartford. A really good opportunity for Halverson after a lackluster final year in Juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Packs first game since the call up is tonight. I too a breif look but Don't know who the starter is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Halverson did get the start. End of first...he gave up 2 goals on 4 shots.

5 goals on 19 shots. Not a good first AHL outing. Hopefully he can shake it off. Goalies have to have a short memory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Ugh that sucks!

Moderator Junior Division
    I remember thinking that Halverson was a great pick, and had the potential to be a superstar.

He just hasn't been good, at any level, since lol.

Hopefully Shestorkin is the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I remember thinking that Halverson was a great pick, and had the potential to be a superstar.

He just hasn't been good, at any level, since lol.

Hopefully Shestorkin is the guy.
    I mean, the year after he was drafted he was 40 and 5 with a .913 sv%. The following year, on a much worse team he was 20 and 17, but still had a .907 sv%.

This is only his 3rd year since being drafted. He was 3-1 with a 1.70 gaa and .943 sv%. I'd call that good at the ECHL level and he has only played one AHL game, a little early to judge there.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    I mean, the year after he was drafted he was 40 and 5 with a .913 sv%. The following year, on a much worse team he was 20 and 17, but still had a .907 sv%.

This is only his 3rd year since being drafted. He was 3-1 with a 1.70 gaa and .943 sv%. I'd call that good at the ECHL level and he has only played one AHL game, a little early to judge there.
    Didn't he not do very well at WJC? And then the following year not get invited? I could be mis-remembering.

Moderator Junior Division

W-L is nice but that save percentage seems low. Hard to say b/c you never know what the defense in front of a goalie at that level is doing.

He's also had some bad moments on big stages, which is pretty concernign.

The entire Hartford team is sucking right now. They have the third least points in the entire AHL. I wouldn't pin it entirely on the goalies, the team is just struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    W-L is nice but that save percentage seems low. Hard to say b/c you never know what the defense in front of a goalie at that level is doing.

He's also had some bad moments on big stages, which is pretty concernign.
    Best sv% in the ohl right now is .922, last year for goalies with 40+ starts was .921, year before that was .924. He was top 10 in the league both years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast