• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [G] Brandon Halverson with 2nd Round (59th) Pick

2014_2_Halverson.png

Name: Brandon Halverson

Position: Goaltender

Current Team: Sault Ste. Marie(OHL)

Hockey's Future Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brandon-halverson/

No analysis available yet.

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170123

Team Player Page: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/14730

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:tweet: @MarkSeidel Great pick by the NYR for Halverson-Best puck handling Goalie I've EVER seen (including Brodeur) & he can stop the puck with size/technique!

:tweet: @ChrisDilks Love the pick of Halverson in the second round. I think he was the second best goalie available behind Demko. Huge, huge upside.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014-nhl-draft/2014/6/26/5844118/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-brandon-halverson

Halverson has a tall, lanky frame that takes up a lot of the net and impressive athleticism for his size that allows him to make the occasional highlight reel save. He's also regarded as an outstanding puck handler for a goalie.

On the downside, Halverson lacks a bit of experience. He's shown flashes of immense talent, but hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do over the long run against a high level of competition. Most young goalies struggle with consistency, and that's especially difficult to develop when not playing on a night-in, night-out basis.

Nobody drafts a goalie thinking he'll top out as a career back-up. Halverson definitely has the potential to be an excellent starting goalie in the NHL, but at a position where every prospect is already boom-or-bust, Halverson takes that idea to the extreme.

Matt Murray has moved on to the Penguins AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, so Halverson will be the man in the Soo next year. Halverson should be the starter two more years for the Greyhounds, by which point, the team drafting him should have a little better idea of what type of goalie they have. Halverson is also on the radar for the US World Juniors team next season. He'll compete in their summer evaluation camp in August.

Combined with Shesterkin, Rangers seems to be working to shore up weak goaltending in the system (aside from Cambot, who they might be figuring will want to move on before Hank is ready to retire or share big minutes, or has a bigger injury problem than we knew.)

Did anyone see us picking a goalie in the 2nd round?

Combined with Shesterkin, Rangers seems to be working to shore up weak goaltending in the system (aside from Cambot, who they might be figuring will want to move on before Hank is ready to retire or share big minutes, or has a bigger injury problem than we knew.)

I've been waiting for it. Two good goaltending prospects addresses the need now when they take time to develop. 18 year old just don't come into the league anymore as starters. Now we can focus on skaters going forward.

I think it's just smart drafting. Hank isn't going to play forever and his replacement will likely take a good 5-7 years to develop into a starter. I have no issue with these two picks. Actually they both sound pretty promising.

I've been waiting for it. Two good goaltending prospects addresses the need now when they take time to develop. 18 year old just don't come into the league anymore as starters. Now we can focus on skaters going forward.

I know it's boring of me to agree, but I agree [although at first glance it might seem premature] .

The timing of these picks — which Gordie Clark said kind of fits with their window for Hank — gives them a cushion to see how some of these guys develop, whether/if they develop, and allows the team be a little ahead of the curve/not totally unprepared if Cambot gets itchy feet and Hank retires or degrades earlier than expected.

I don't have a problem with it; the top-6 help we need was unlikely to come through the draft, given where we're drafting.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
According to TSN Brandon scored on himself, and then asked to be included in TSN's blooper-reel.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Rangers%2Bgoalie%2Bprospect%2Bputs%2Bit%2Bin%2Bhis%2Bown%2Bnet&id=489977

@Halvy31

Oh man...the video of the goal scored was good, his reaction was better, and then the author throwing in that clip of Henrik was priceless!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Halverson on the preliminary US World Juniors roster.

In net, the U.S. loses starter Thatcher Demko, but returns 2015 back-ups Alex Nedeljkovic (Carolina) and Brandon Halverson (NY Rangers). Nedeljkovic will not participate in the summer camp due to injury, but he’s a known quantity and I would expect him to make the final squad based on his history.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived