• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"Don't Wash Your Jeans" - Levi's CEO

Morphinity 2.0

http://www.businessinsider.com/levis-ceo-dont-wash-your-jeans-2014-5

Levi's CEO Chip Bergh says you should keep your jeans out of the washing machine.

Bergh lives by his words and hasn't washed his own jeans in more than a year, reports Neha Prakash at Mashable.

The executive claims that eschewing the washing machine keeps your jeans in mint condition and is better for the environment.

Bergh was speaking at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference, where business leaders discuss ways to be more sustainable.

Bergh also discussed how Levi's created a line of jeans that take less water to produce.

In the past, Levi's has suggested freezing your jeans instead of putting them in a washing machine. The company told Elle Magazine that doing this once a month would keep jeans from smelling bad.

I've heard of this notion, but I haven't tried it. I don't get how you don't wash your jeans after a week, max. I always get stuff on them over time, and even though they don't smell all that bad, they feel sort of weird.

I've never heard of freezing your jeans. That sounds silly.

Has anyone tried this?

Obviously, this isn't for people who do manual labor in jeans.

Jeans really don't require washing often because of how intact they stay through wears. Chinos have to be washed all the time because they look like shit after being worn, but jeans you can keep on wearing.

The only time I actually wash my jeans is when they start getting stretched and I want the true fit back

I wash my jeans like once a month. I rotate between three, four pair and only really wash them when I end up getting something on them, like food. But even then, I often don't wash the entire item, instead just cleaning the area I got a stain on.

I've never tried freezing them. I'd need to see more of the science behind how/why that works. I do know that I've read you are supposed to do the same with shoes to remove bad smells. That I've tried, after getting a pair of sneakers soaking wet a few months ago, and it absolutely worked.

Might have to try. I honestly only wear jeans on the weekends and barely at all in the summer months, so I'd have to wait until the fall.

Phil, for a guy who sweats on cue, this works for you? Your jeans don't smell like a yeti after a week?

Well, I've never done the freezer thing. Not yet, at least. What I usually do is air-dry. We have a clothes line off our kitchen/bathroom window that I can usually run clothes out on if I've sweat in them a bit. I do it with dress shirts and jeans and it almost always "cures" things. I'll turn jeans and shirts inside out and let them hang for an hour or two.

But I also take precautions to being someone who basically swims in a layer of sweat all day long once the temp hits about 75?F, like wearing techwick under-clothes (shirts, underwear) to keep the jeans or shirts I'm wearing relatively dry.

I was my jeans every 3 or so weeks. I wash them with light soap, on gentle cycle for the shortest time, and then dry them on delicate and low.

Washing machines that don't have agitators are easier on your clothes, in general.

I will go about two or three (and I have a lot of jeans in my rotation) before washing them, but to never wash them? That's a little extreme.

I sit behind a desk for a living, I don't have a need to get dirty so I can go without washing for a little while. Chip also must never wear his jeans while doing 'real' work. Real work to me is not sitting in board meeting or behind a desk. Anyone who has jeans and 'works' in them for a living, and gets them muddy, greasy, etc, yea you're going to fucking wash them! :rolleyes:

Depends. If I'm home, I'll try and get 4-5 wears before washing. If I go into the city, I wash them after. Its a mental thing. If I cared more how my jeans looked, I'd probably find another way.

Same. Whenever I go into the city, and I have to ride on a train or sit in anywhere, I'm washing EVERYTHING. I'm sure I'm fine, but its mental for me to.

I will wear 1 pair of jeans for the week, but Im not in them that long, I just wear them to work and then change into my uniform at work, ad then wear them home. The longest I wear them is on the weekend, but I will wash that pair at the end of the week just because with two little kids, I never know what I get on them. But I have like 6 pairs of jeans, so they get switched out every week to a different pair.

This isn't 2002!

Lol.

For casual wear.....(shopping, chores, etc.) they are perfect. Obviously, for a more "intimate" setting I'll wear a nice pair of jeans. For work, it has always been slacks.

I just threw down some solid $ for some nice cargos pants/shorts from Eddie Bauer. Don't hate.

Archived