• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Channing Tatum Confirmed as Gambit by X-MEN Producer Lauren Shuler Donner

Phil

Even though it’s been rumored for quite some time, it looks like producer Lauren Shuler Donner, while speaking with Total Film magazine at the premiere of X-Men: Days of Future Past, has confirmed that the Cajun mutant Gambit will indeed be appearing on the big screen soon, tossing kinetically charged playing cards at bad guys, and that the part will by played by none other than Channing Tatum.

Just how and where we will be seeing the character of Gambit is still the question though. Earlier reports were that Tatum would get a solo movie as Remy LeBeau, but that doesn’t seem too likely at this point. Far more likely is Channing Tatum being part of the X-Men proper in the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, which is scheduled to come out in May 2016. Director Bryan Singer has already hinted that among the new mutants joining the team in Apocalypse would probably be Nightcrawler and Gambit, joining the already confirmed children of the atom, Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Storm.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/channing-tatum-confirmed-as-gambit-by-x-men-producer-lauren-shuler-donner/

--

Origins: Wolverine was shit, but Taylor Kitsch IMO was a better casting. He looked the part so much more than Tatum does. Who cares if he's been part of box office fails? Since when does the casting of an ancillary character affect the total draw of an X-MEN film these days? I'll save you the time and just answer it for you — it doesn't.

Gambit, real name Remy LeBeau, is supposed to be a suave, super slick New Orleanean with a thick Cajun drawl. Channing Tatum... good luck with that, Mon'Amie.

Well, for sure. I try not to shit on castings before we've actually seen them perform in the role (I mean, Heath Ledger Joker anyone?), but he sure doesn't look the part, and I'm not all that confident in his ability to get the Cajun accent right either.

Well, for sure. I try not to shit on castings before we've actually seen them perform in the role (I mean, Heath Ledger Joker anyone?), but he sure doesn't look the part, and I'm not all that confident in his ability to get the Cajun accent right either.

I'm not so sure I agree with any of your points.

Visually, sure with short hair he doesn't resemble Gambit - but with that classic head wrap? Who knows. As for his accent, he has proven on many occasions that he can do a damn fine Cajun accent, you know, being that he has lived around Cajuns his entire life and his father lives in New Orleans. If I recall correctly, he even questioned Kitsch's accent, basically saying it was decent but not quite true to the dialect of the character.

I'm not so sure I agree with any of your points.

Visually, sure with short hair he doesn't resemble Gambit - but with that classic head wrap? Who knows. As for his accent, he has proven on many occasions that he can do a damn fine Cajun accent, you know, being that he has lived around Cajuns his entire life and his father lives in New Orleans. If I recall correctly, he even questioned Kitsch's accent, basically saying it was decent but not quite true to the dialect of the character.

Well, color me corrected. He actually nailed it, apparently:

I had no idea he was from the area either. That's a huge relief.

Well, the body type is fine. The face and hair... much less so, but my bigger concern was the Cajun drawl. I was afraid they'd just flat out drop it and pretend he didn't need it, or that fans wouldn't notice or care it wasn't there.

I can't imagine they'll go full head-dress on him, though, so maybe he just grows his hair out?

Well, the body type is fine. The face and hair... much less so, but my bigger concern was the Cajun drawl. I was afraid they'd just flat out drop it and pretend he didn't need it, or that fans wouldn't notice or care it wasn't there.

I can't imagine they'll go full head-dress on him, though, so maybe he just grows his hair out?

Not going to reveal much, but you'd be surprised.

• 1 year later...
Sources from TheWrap have indicated that Channing Tatum is leaving the Gambit movie.

Despite appearing at this year's San Diego Comic-Con to hype the movie, it appears that the film could be without a leading man.

One individual close to the project told TheWrap that Tatum’s reps are still in active discussions with the studio but acknowledged that “something is up.” This ordeal will have to be resolved quickly, as the film is scheduled for release next October.

Fox nor Tatum could be reached for comment at the moment.

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/29/tatum-exits-gambit/

--

If true, I'm back in the Taylor Kitsch camp. He's got the look. He did a decent job in that shitty Wolverine: Origins movie.

Was just reading a list on who else could play him... Gaspard Ulliel.

I've never seen this guy do a thing, but just look at him... it's like he's really Remy!

http://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/1492033/1118full-gaspard-ulliel.jpg

http://i2.listal.com/image/1410719/936full-gaspard-ulliel.jpg

Someone even had some Photoshop fun:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/answers/3628000/3628532_1422836384235.31res_500_333.jpg

I don't get what everybody saw from Kitsch from the big 3 minutes of screen time on Origins that there is so much love for him to replay the role as Gambit?

I'm also a bit biased, I want to see the best possible actor play my 2nd favorite superhero live on screen, but i'm not sure it was Kitsch, he was okay in Origins.

I was excited for Tatum to take on the character, but now with this rumor, i'm not sure who I even would like to play him.

He has the right "look". Not even Tom Hanks could have acted well enough to save that character from such a bad script. So it's hard to pin it on Kitsch entirely. He was already behind the eight ball from the start.

The only thing he's really missing is the accent (which I do think is kind of important).

The accent is very important, which is why I believed Tatum, from the South, would have been able to nail it. He was already rocking a Gambit style haircut at the SDCC a few weeks back.

I like Kitsch as an actor, but I'll be honest, haven't seen a lot from him, he has some of the ''look'' for play him, but I think there is another choice out there.

One guy i'd like, but haven't heard any rumors about him being a possibility, Josh Holloway. I think he can pull off a solid Gambit.

Tried to post an image, but it wouldn't work.

Edit: and nobody probably will agree with me, but Jared Padalecki, most famous from my favorite show, SUpernatural.

Josh Holloway has been a fan-supported concept since the Gambit film was announced.

Fans gave him the same treatment they gave others, Photoshopping what he may look like in the role:

http://gallery.lost-media.com/albums/userpics/10315/normal_xJoshGambitManip.jpg

He also has the right look, but will he have the accent?

Josh Holloway has been a fan-supported concept since the Gambit film was announced.

Fans gave him the same treatment they gave others, Photoshopping what he may look like in the role:

http://gallery.lost-media.com/albums/userpics/10315/normal_xJoshGambitManip.jpg

He also has the right look, but will he have the accent?

Which, IMO, is the most important part of the character.

• 1 month later...
Director Rupert Wyatt has fallen off Gambit, the Channing Tatum X-Men spinoff being made by Fox.

The movie project in an important one for the studio, which is hoping that it launches onto the screen as an important character as Hugh Jackman?s Wolverine, one of the lynchpins of the X-Men universe.

Script issues have caused the film's budget to be larger than expected and prompting the exit, a source told The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/channing-tatums-gambit-loses-director-823992

Archived