Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Black Cloud on the Forum

  1. #1
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328

    Black Cloud on the Forum

    As you may have noticed, we are attempting to clean up the trolling and over the top negativity across the forum. We understand that our users are passionate about the Rangers and when things go poorly with the team we all want to express our frustration, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do that. It has become unfair to our members who want to enjoy the discussions, both positive and negative, of our New York Rangers. We will no longer tolerate harping on the same topic over and over. If you've already stated something, like your displeasure for a player, then your next post on that same topic needs to bring a fresh insight.

    Example:

    Nash is a skating vagina. He sucks. Get rid of him.
    That's fine once in the GDT in the heat of the moment. The second time, it's harping. The 50th time, it's just a nuisance. Comments like these have no place outside of the GDT.

    Example:

    Nash needs to shoot the puck quicker. Every time he gets an opportunity, he's thinking too much.
    Geez, Nash, has a three on one, he has to pass it there. His play is really deteriorating.
    If we get eliminated and Nash doesn't show something before we're done, I think we need to trade him.
    That's all fine for the GDT or any other thread related to Nash.

    Over the top, profanity filled rants are no longer welcome anywhere on the forum at any time. You can use profanity to emphasize a point or displeasure, but if you come on to the forum only after the Rangers are losing to post a series of expletives about a number of players or the team, only to disappear again, you're no longer welcome here. If you can't post without a string of curses, perhaps this isn't the forum for you.

    If you constantly post on the same topic (such as your displeasure for a specific player/coach or situation) in multiple threads where the topic is something all together different, you will be considered trolling and will receive an infraction.

    If you receive a warning or an infraction and don't understand why, feel free to ask. However, lashing out at a moderator who issues a warning or infraction will receive another infraction or possible banning. Be polite and we will explain why we came to the conclusion we did and if there was a legitimate misunderstanding, we may rescind the warning/infraction all together.

    We are often critical of the team we support, wanting, needing them to be better. Well we need to be better here, too. And this needs to be a better place. We can no longer ignore those who ask us to do something about this problem, while bending over backwards to be fair to those causing these issues. There are forums on the internet centered around the New York Rangers where members can and are as nasty and childish as they like. If that's the type of experience you are looking for, then by all means, find one of those. This will no longer be that place.

    Thank you and LETS GO RANGERS!
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  2. #2
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328
    If anyone has specific questions about this change in forum philosophy, please feel free to ask here. Spam or other nonsense will be removed and infractions handed out.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  3. #3
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    22,084
    Rep Power
    188
    I'm glad this is finally being addressed. But its going to be hard to change a 3-year old mentality of some of the most prolific posters in a short period of time. And I hope the discipline is consistent. If not, it will only continue, and the negative vibes will never leave.

  4. #4
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    I'm glad this is finally being addressed. But its going to be hard to change a 3-year old mentality of some of the most prolific posters in a short period of time. And I hope the discipline is consistent. If not, it will only continue, and the negative vibes will never leave.
    Thanks Josh and help us when you can by reporting posts if we seem to have missed them. And to be clear, it's fine to have a negative opinion on something. It's how those negative opinions have been expressed and how far some have gone across multiple threads that has become an issue. We will, of course, try to do everything we can to apply discipline consistently.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  5. #5
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,851
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    As you may have noticed, we are attempting to clean up the trolling and over the top negativity across the forum. We understand that our users are passionate about the Rangers and when things go poorly with the team we all want to express our frustration, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do that. It has become unfair to our members who want to enjoy the discussions, both positive and negative, of our New York Rangers. We will no longer tolerate harping on the same topic over and over. If you've already stated something, like your displeasure for a player, then your next post on that same topic needs to bring a fresh insight.

    Example:



    That's fine once in the GDT in the heat of the moment. The second time, it's harping. The 50th time, it's just a nuisance. Comments like these have no place outside of the GDT.

    Example:







    That's all fine for the GDT or any other thread related to Nash.

    Over the top, profanity filled rants are no longer welcome anywhere on the forum at any time. You can use profanity to emphasize a point or displeasure, but if you come on to the forum only after the Rangers are losing to post a series of expletives about a number of players or the team, only to disappear again, you're no longer welcome here. If you can't post without a string of curses, perhaps this isn't the forum for you.

    If you constantly post on the same topic (such as your displeasure for a specific player/coach or situation) in multiple threads where the topic is something all together different, you will be considered trolling and will receive an infraction.

    If you receive a warning or an infraction and don't understand why, feel free to ask. However, lashing out at a moderator who issues a warning or infraction will receive another infraction or possible banning. Be polite and we will explain why we came to the conclusion we did and if there was a legitimate misunderstanding, we may rescind the warning/infraction all together.

    We are often critical of the team we support, wanting, needing them to be better. Well we need to be better here, too. And this needs to be a better place. We can no longer ignore those who ask us to do something about this problem, while bending over backwards to be fair to those causing these issues. There are forums on the internet centered around the New York Rangers where members can and are as nasty and childish as they like. If that's the type of experience you are looking for, then by all means, find one of those. This will no longer be that place.

    Thank you and LETS GO RANGERS!
    I appreciate the goal of reducing the negativity on the forum, and the work the admins and moderators do on this forum. With respect, I would suggest this policy will be difficult to enforce.

    Example: Richards and his buyout.
    User 1 is a frequent, long-time poster. In a few game-day threads, he's had a couple of expletives - "f*ck Richards, what a lousy shot." In several threads, he's talked about how much he's looking forward to Richards being bought out. Once the Rangers season ends (hopefully a couple of months from now), user 1 would like to discuss offseason roster management (now appropriate). But if user 1 wants to discuss the Richards buyout, with this policy User 1 could be seen as trolling, and receive an infraction. As a long-time frequent poster, it is more probable that the user has had infraction points, and a misstep will cause User 1 to be banned (possibly for a substantial amount of time). So it would probably be advisable for User 1 to avoid the discussion of Richards during the summer, even though it will be important for the future direction of the team.

    User 2 is a newbie, with only a few posts and a join date of May 8. User 2 can be comfortable discussing Richards, as she has not previously expressed her thoughts on the topic. User 2 would probably be interested in User 1's thought on the topic. However, User 1 is uncomfortable posting about Richards.

    Example 2: Player x has a lengthy slump.
    At some point, User 1 just has to stop talking about player x. It becomes impossible to talk about player x. What can you say? 'Sure hope player x gets a goal tonight!' Is that a positive comment, worthy of being a fan? Or is it snarky, belittling the player, and trolling based on User 1's post history?

    While the goal of this new policy is noble, enforcement is going to be a challenge. I appreciate your efforts to make this forum the best place for Rangers fans.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  6. #6
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Rep Power
    112
    Good thread, good new policy change. I'm guilty of it, we're all guilty of it. Let's weed it out and move on. As Josh said, need to stay consistent with discipline.

    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  7. #7
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I appreciate the goal of reducing the negativity on the forum, and the work the admins and moderators do on this forum. With respect, I would suggest this policy will be difficult to enforce.

    Example: Richards and his buyout.
    User 1 is a frequent, long-time poster. In a few game-day threads, he's had a couple of expletives - "f*ck Richards, what a lousy shot." In several threads, he's talked about how much he's looking forward to Richards being bought out. Once the Rangers season ends (hopefully a couple of months from now), user 1 would like to discuss offseason roster management (now appropriate). But if user 1 wants to discuss the Richards buyout, with this policy User 1 could be seen as trolling, and receive an infraction. As a long-time frequent poster, it is more probable that the user has had infraction points, and a misstep will cause User 1 to be banned (possibly for a substantial amount of time). So it would probably be advisable for User 1 to avoid the discussion of Richards during the summer, even though it will be important for the future direction of the team.

    User 2 is a newbie, with only a few posts and a join date of May 8. User 2 can be comfortable discussing Richards, as she has not previously expressed her thoughts on the topic. User 2 would probably be interested in User 1's thought on the topic. However, User 1 is uncomfortable posting about Richards.

    Example 2: Player x has a lengthy slump.
    At some point, User 1 just has to stop talking about player x. It becomes impossible to talk about player x. What can you say? 'Sure hope player x gets a goal tonight!' Is that a positive comment, worthy of being a fan? Or is it snarky, belittling the player, and trolling based on User 1's post history?

    While the goal of this new policy is noble, enforcement is going to be a challenge. I appreciate your efforts to make this forum the best place for Rangers fans.
    Plenty of long time users have no infraction points. You yourself have been here a year and only have a single warning.

    It's perfectly OK to repeat a point you're making on a player so long as you aren't doing it in multiple, unrelated threads and aren't simply repeating over and over again how a player "sucks" or that sort of thing. Using Richards, if you're discussing whether to buy him out over a long thread, you're no doubt going to bring up the recapture penalties multiple times in that thread. That's perfectly acceptable so long as you're trying to explain your position.

    What wouldn't be OK is if at the same time as that discussion was going on, you posted in four other threads about Nash, Stepan, McDonagh and Boyle:

    At least there's no recapture with him. Fucking Richards.
    See the difference?
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  8. #8
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing Teeth View Post
    Good thread, good new policy change. I'm guilty of it, we're all guilty of it. Let's weed it out and move on. As Josh said, need to stay consistent with discipline.

    Thanks. You could start by changing your signature line if you want to help. You're allowed to be negative here. You're just not allowed to be disruptively negative over and over again.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  9. #9
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Thanks. You could start by changing your signature line if you want to help. You're allowed to be negative here. You're just not allowed to be disruptively negative over and over again.
    I dont even know what my sig says anymore. I mostly use my phone to post. Are you able to erase whatever it is or do I need to login on a pc to do it?
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  10. #10
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing Teeth View Post
    I dont even know what my sig says anymore. I mostly use my phone to post. Are you able to erase whatever it is or do I need to login on a pc to do it?
    It got taken care of by someone, so you're all good. Thanks man.

    On a side note, it's especially important for users like you, who, you know, you've admitted you've been on that line before, but you also are a productive forum member, too, to help us move in the right direction here. We appreciate it and I'm sure a lot of other forum members appreciate it as well.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  11. #11
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Rep Power
    112
    10/4
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  12. #12
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I appreciate the goal of reducing the negativity on the forum, and the work the admins and moderators do on this forum. With respect, I would suggest this policy will be difficult to enforce.

    Example: Richards and his buyout.
    User 1 is a frequent, long-time poster. In a few game-day threads, he's had a couple of expletives - "f*ck Richards, what a lousy shot." In several threads, he's talked about how much he's looking forward to Richards being bought out. Once the Rangers season ends (hopefully a couple of months from now), user 1 would like to discuss offseason roster management (now appropriate). But if user 1 wants to discuss the Richards buyout, with this policy User 1 could be seen as trolling, and receive an infraction. As a long-time frequent poster, it is more probable that the user has had infraction points, and a misstep will cause User 1 to be banned (possibly for a substantial amount of time). So it would probably be advisable for User 1 to avoid the discussion of Richards during the summer, even though it will be important for the future direction of the team.

    User 2 is a newbie, with only a few posts and a join date of May 8. User 2 can be comfortable discussing Richards, as she has not previously expressed her thoughts on the topic. User 2 would probably be interested in User 1's thought on the topic. However, User 1 is uncomfortable posting about Richards.

    Example 2: Player x has a lengthy slump.
    At some point, User 1 just has to stop talking about player x. It becomes impossible to talk about player x. What can you say? 'Sure hope player x gets a goal tonight!' Is that a positive comment, worthy of being a fan? Or is it snarky, belittling the player, and trolling based on User 1's post history?

    While the goal of this new policy is noble, enforcement is going to be a challenge. I appreciate your efforts to make this forum the best place for Rangers fans.

    No, it would be advisable for User 1 to discuss the Richards buyout in the appropriate thread at the appropriate time. Not a rant about the player in every GDT.

    The GDT is there for one purpose — To discuss the game that day, before, during, and after the game. During a real time discussion, we allow a lot of latitude on what gets said. What we're going to do moving forward is keep side arguments on certain players from derailing the GDT to keep it enjoyable for those participating, and keep the discussion in the post game GDT about actual events of the game, and not a sounding board for rants about how player X is brain dead and needs to be traded (especially when player X had little impact on the outcome of the game).

    Generally, we don't have several threads regarding one player, since those threads are merged if they have a common conversation going. If we have a Nash thread going discussing his struggles and another discussing the feasibility of trading him, by all means talk all you want about how poorly he's playing in one thread. But in the other thread, you better be ready to offer some other insight, and that insight better not be "trade him for tape". We feel that it's fair to ask users to not repeat themselves verbatim in every thread.

    And you know what? We got here by trying to be fair to everyone, but there are a lot of weeds choking out the good grass right now and it isn't fair.

    We didn't come up with this overnight, we saw what was happening, and we've been discussing it for awhile. We even identified some users, who if you looked back over their last 100 posts, didn't ever, even once, say anything positive — in any way. It's astounding to read all the post together. And that's not fair to a lot of other people here who have reported a lot of these posts.

    And we know this is the right decision and it's coming at the right time. Normally we don't discuss bans of users, but Bretzky made a completely tasteless remark that led to his banning this morning. He posted the below comment in a thread meant to discuss/pay respects to MSL's mother:

    Very sad. Sorry Marty.

    Nash still blows dicks.
    If that's not the bottom of the barrel, I don't know what is.

  13. #13
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,000
    Rep Power
    199
    I approve of this. I understand the emotion in the GDT's but I've found the baseless bashing of players personality traits or lives outside of hockey due to on ice performance annoying and not really productive.

    Everyone see's when a guy sucks, we should be asking why he sucks.

    Even a superior hockey mind such as myself has learned a tonne here. I'd hate to see it degrade to the point of TSN.ca comments. We're sooo much better than that.

  14. #14
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,851
    Rep Power
    71
    Issue: negativity on the forum.

    There are two ways to combat this, with the carrot and the stick.

    I agree that warnings and infractions will always be necessary: for pornography, offensive material, trolling, etc - the stick. Even though I know that a banning was almost certainly justified, as a forum member I hate to see long-time poster(s) banned because I enjoy and respect their opinion on a variety of topics. I look forward to when they can return and post their opinions again - hopefully having learned from their time away what is considered unacceptable.

    There is also the carrot - rep, or simply complementing someone on a good post. I would encourage everyone to rep and complement people when they see good posts. Spread some love! It's the entertaining debates that keeps us posting.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  15. #15
    Senior Member Junior Division
    momentum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    on the Shawangunk Ridge in New York
    Posts
    5,651
    Rep Power
    39
    I'm very positive to this initiative and huge credit should go to everyone working on this great forum to acknowledge this pattern and to try to do something about it.

    Most of us have probably been guilty of this at some time or another over our time here and it's something we all have to work on together. Too much of this kind of negativity can just make the whole forum feel depressing.

    Great job everyone!

  16. #16
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,507
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Issue: negativity on the forum.

    There are two ways to combat this, with the carrot and the stick.

    I agree that warnings and infractions will always be necessary: for pornography, offensive material, trolling, etc - the stick. Even though I know that a banning was almost certainly justified, as a forum member I hate to see long-time poster(s) banned because I enjoy and respect their opinion on a variety of topics. I look forward to when they can return and post their opinions again - hopefully having learned from their time away what is considered unacceptable.

    There is also the carrot - rep, or simply complementing someone on a good post. I would encourage everyone to rep and complement people when they see good posts. Spread some love! It's the entertaining debates that keeps us posting.
    We've also been discussing positive stuff too, but I'm glad you pointed it out. Ultimately, the last sentence is what we're all about here. Entertaining debates. This entire effort is to get away from the nonsense and get back to as many people as possible enjoying their time on the forum.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  17. #17
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,813
    Rep Power
    75
    As someone who's been part of the WBB & BB community for some time, I'm glad that you're pursuing a more orderly site. I tend to post sporadically here, often deterred by some of the swells of ignorance/venom that bubble to the surface.

    Here's to a better tomorrow for our great community.

  18. #18
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Glad to see this being done here, kudos to the admins here. This is such a great forum, I would hate to see it turn into something other than that. Some of us know what its like to be a part of a forum thats always negative and you can't have an opposing view, and thats why we all came here. We all get negative about this team, and in the heat of the moment that is fine, its when the same thing is harped on day after day, thats what Im glad you guys are working to get rid of.

  19. #19
    Derek Stepans Agent Mite Division LyNX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    8


    On a more serious note this should be a welcome change and should help bring more insightful conversation.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,721
    Rep Power
    13
    If anyone is negative today, they should be banned for life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •