Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Sign Union [D] Mat Bodie to 1-Year/$925K Contract

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Wow. Simmonds looks like he's starving!
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Dude's a force in front of the net. Go figure.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Yeah, it's a no risk signing either way and he'd be behind some other solid prospects to begin with. Still nice to take a shot considering the total lack of offensive minded defenseman in our system.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Yeah, it's a no risk signing either way and he'd be behind some other solid prospects to begin with. Still nice to take a shot considering the total lack of offensive minded defenseman in our system.
    This is true, minus Skjei, right? Do you expect Bodie to be a straight-to-the-AHL type signing? If so, how far off is Skjei from that same team?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

NHL exaggerates a lot of weights I think. Hagelin isn't as heavy as listed and Prucha weighed nothing.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. Get him on an NHL training regimen and see what he can do. No harm in trying, as you said, with our lack of draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    This is true, minus Skjei, right? Do you expect Bodie to be a straight-to-the-AHL type signing? If so, how far off is Skjei from that same team?
    Skjei isn't really offensive. He more of a two-way guy who can skate really well. Solid but not overly creative, similar to McDonagh's offensive contributions to a lesser extent. Allen is another guy like this. Bodie, if he pans out, would be more in the Del Zotto mold of being expected to create offense from the back end and produce big on the PP.

Bodie would go to the AHL for sure. Skjei may or may not turn pro this offseason, but whenever he makes a jump I think he would be NHL ready after about half of a season in the AHL, he's not far off from being ready now.

The only true offensive Dman we have in our system would be Calle Andersson, but it's hard to know where he stands in his development based on the league he's playing in, but on the bright side I've read that he is up to 230 lbs.

Interview from just before the National Championship and some highlights of his play...

@collegehockey:
    Congrats to the captain of the champs, @MBodes22, on signing with NYR. Thanks for being a wonderful ambassador for college hockey.
    @lindacohn:
    Great signing by @NYRangers inking free agent D-man @MBodes22 the Captain of NCAA champs Union. Bodie will join #NYR at camp this summer.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    It's a good signing, IMO. We have 0 offensive defensemen prospects in the system. In the minors, we have two veteran AHL guys that can be considered puck movers but aren't NHL options (Johnson and Syvret) and developing there isn't truly an offensive defenseman. While he's older, he's got a decent skill set including speed and he gets his shot off quickly (was impressed with that in the video TMFN posted). It's low-risk, high-reward. I guess we're throwing darts at the college board until we hit something with Haggerty, McCarthy and now Bodie. Hopefully we sign a goaltender as well...

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Cost us nothing but money, which means the signing has nothing but upside.

D-men take longer to develop, and though Gilroy obviously left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, that's still no reason to stop taking chances on guys like this. And the size isn't necessarily an issue.

In fact, it's a remarkably similar trajectory to MSL's. Didn't break in to the league with regular playing time with the Flames until he was 24 years old. He then went back to the AHL for the rest of that season, and started next season on Tampa Bay at 25 years old. Put up 40 points in 78 games, then 35 points in 53 games, then 70 points in 82, and then he exploded and the rest is history.

Obviously MSL is jacked, especially in the legs, and it's different for forwards than it is for d-men. But he didn't break in to the league until 24, was undersized, and didn't really take off offensively until he was 27.

Long story short: when the only cost here is money, and it's not like we traded for him or burned a draft pick, I'm not going to hold his age and his size against him until it becomes apparent that they're a problem. Until then, I have zero complaints.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2014...-tracker-2014/

The Rangers have been extremely aggressive in acquiring college free agents this spring and they may have scored their biggest UFA yet.
    Bodie is an excellent skater with terrific offensive sense. He was incredible in the national tournament this year with seven points in four games, including a goal in each game. That’s just incredible. Bodie has a very quick, accurate shot that gets to the net with some zip. Bodie can defend as well as you may have seen in the national championship game. He’s aggressive and reads plays extremely well at both ends and has excellent recovery speed. He distributes well and was a big part of Union’s ability to burn teams in transition and out-possess just about everybody. He’s a guy that can drive the play. The main concern about this point is likely his size as Bodie is 6-0, 165. He’s rail thin and it’s hard to see if he’ll put on much weight. That’s why there’s such a huge emphasis on his smarts. Bodie does all of the things he needs to to be successful and he also can thank the recent success of undersized Torey Krug with the Boston Bruins. as an undrafted free agent for making teams less apprehensive to go after smaller D with offensive pop. Bodie definitely has the goods to make it, so the Rangers are smart to take a chance on him now.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    The only red flag is that his skating is good but does he have the core and lower body strength to outmuscle or at least put up a fight in the corners when he either takes the body or it is taken against him. It's essentially what is going to make or break his career as an NHLer, IMO.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Bodie meet Mr Gary Roberts

I've read that the 165 may be from his freshman season and never changed. Union's site doesn't actually list a weight for him, but Zipay had this...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...?firstfree=yes

Some reports indicate that Bodie, a left-hander, may be a little undersized for a top-2 NHL defenseman at 6-foot, 175 pounds, and is probably more of a second or third-pair blueliner at the next level. Apparently has power play potential, given his NCAA numbers. Bodie's bigger, but perhaps a Torey Krug-type?
    Much better than 165, but who knows if it's accurate.

Torey Krug is probably a nice comparable, based on what I've read. Size, style of play, shot, etc.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Bodie and Haggerty may not be best friends.

Senior Member Junior Division
    This has Matt Gilroy written all over it.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Yeah, I'll take Korey Krug any day. Guy is one of the better offensive D-men to break into the league in recent years

Smart signing by Sather. Both him and Haggerty could even up really helping the team big time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    This has Matt Gilroy written all over it.
    The thing with him is that he's put up points every year in college, whereas Gilroy only really had that one break out year when he was almost 25. Bodie had 32 points his freshman year, which is pretty amazing for a d-man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast