Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rangers Sign Union [D] Mat Bodie to 1-Year/$925K Contract

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Presser from today about signing with the Rangers.

Says he chose us because Gorton told him that we don't have any offensive defenseman and he would have an opportunity here.

Said that he intends to hit the gym and eat and eat this offseason, but doesn't think getting bigger is a huge factor because he just wants to play his game.

Member Mite Division James Lionel Price's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    I'm OK with the signing. We don't have as many picks so signing older college kids who could pan out seems like an acceptable solution to not having picks.

I agree. This is one of the areas where the Rangers have an advantage and they should exploit it. The Rangers have enormous recruiting advantages when it comes to free agency, and amateur free agents are more prudent ventures. If a pick does not pan out, they don't make big $$ so it's not a ton of risk assumed.

I do not like trading draft picks. But the St. Louis trade has obviously been monumental, and he is worth the picks we have had to forego. Knowing Sather's philosophy on trading young players, it seems that he'd rather trade a pick than a player who they have made a commitment to by drafting, because that is a player who they like, or would not have drafted.

Look at Montreal trading McDonagh...the only way you can trade a top prospect like that is in a package for an elite player in their prime. Which was not Scotty Gomez, LOL.

The Rangers are usually active in amateur/undrafted free agency regardless, and it is a very viable route to go down. Take Zuccarello for instance. He's invaluable to the team. Some of these college kids might also turn out that way too.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    For those curious, it's a one-year, two-way deal worth $925K (according to CapGeek).

He's an RFA again next season.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I'm very curious to see what he's going to do. Probably gonna be an AHLer next year since both Aaron Johnson and Danny Syvret are UFAs. Could be a great opportunity to let him get a lot of ice time against bigger, tougher competition and earn a contract. Plus we already have four signed defensemen and two RFAs. One spot up for grabs if we don't sign a UFA over the summer.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Any of our resident Wolf Pack watchers have an update or opinions on Bodie?

4 goals, 24 points in 59 games with a +6 rating. Decent enough for a rookie, albeit a 25-year old.

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Any of our resident Wolf Pack watchers have an update or opinions on Bodie?

4 goals, 24 points in 59 games with a +6 rating. Decent enough for a rookie, albeit a 25-year old.
    1 of my friends is a season ticket holder. I will get an honest opinion from him. He's at just about every game they play, including away games.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123