Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Sign Union [D] Mat Bodie to 1-Year/$925K Contract

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division

Rangers Sign Union [D] Mat Bodie to 1-Year/$925K Contract

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 4m
    #NYR Hearing that the Rangers are closing in on college free agent Mat Bodie, offensive defenseman from Union College
    A bit older as he just turned 24 and also a bit undersized as far as weight goes, but is an incredible skater and very good offensively. 8 goals and 39 points in 40 games this season and plays with a bit of an edge.

--

Update 4/15:

@collegehockey:
    Congrats to the captain of the champs, @MBodes22, on signing with NYR. Thanks for being a wonderful ambassador for college hockey.
    @lindacohn:
    Great signing by @NYRangers inking free agent D-man @MBodes22 the Captain of NCAA champs Union. Bodie will join #NYR at camp this summer.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...e-keys-offense

Then along comes a defensive pair of starters at Union College. Generously listed at 5-11, 170 pounds and 6-0, 165, respectively, Shayne Gostisbehere and Mat Bodie are sleek, nimble machines who pose a different danger factor to their opponents. Think of the T-1000 model Robert Patrick portrayed in "Terminator 2," compared to Arnold Schwarzenegger's brutish 800 Series model in the original.
    Providence coach Nate Leaman singled out Union's defensive strategy after his team's regional final loss to the Dutchmen.

"It's a double-edged sword," he said. "If you go at them too hard in their zone, they'll turn it around on you so quickly that they are liable to get an odd-man rush going the other way. They are the type of defensemen who put our forwards back on their heels."

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    6'0" 165 is more than a bit undersized, especially for a 24 year old defenseman. Holy shit.

It gives me hope that I could still make it!

Forgot to mention he was the captain at Union.

‏@sportsology
    If #Rangers sign Mat Bodie that's quite a coup. He's a lot better than Matt Gilroy was, but still not an #NHL lock. Love his offense, shot.
    http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2014...-dazzles-more/

Mat Bodie (pictured) — Union — One of the better offensive-minded defensemen in college hockey, Bodie has been a force for Union. He has 35 points as a senior, his career best. Bodie is a terrific skater with quickness throughout the ice. He finds seams well and has a good, quick release on his shot. The big concern is his size. He’s 6-0, 165, which is not ideal obviously. The success Torey Krug is having in the NHL this year, however, may help Bodie’s cause. Krug had 37 points in his junior season with Michigan State before signing as UFA. Union made the Frozen Four, so Bodie won’t be available until after the NHL regular season concludes.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    6'0, 165 for a defender is way light. "A bit" undersized is really understating things. Twenty more pounds and he's got an NHL frame.

Hit the gym, son. Squats, squats, squats.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    jesus look at his knees/calves.

His legs look like a featherweight boxer's, cannot play in the NHL like that, I dont think it matters how skilled you are.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has an offseason to eat/workout. Once signed we can get him on a regimen. About 10 more lbs and he's on par with some other guys around the league, but yeah 165 is very small and he looks skinny.

Numbers are much more impressive than Gilroy's and he just captained a team to the national championship, so it's weird to think how much hype there was around Gilroy at the time and how little there has been about this kid.

I think it has to do with BU vs Union as programs and there were probably a lot more good NCAA UFA's this season.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    I'm OK with the signing. We don't have as many picks so signing older college kids who could pan out seems like an acceptable solution to not having picks.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Maybe he just can't put on weight. Period. He's not 18, I think he's probably thought of gaining weight before. His legs point to an eating disorder ffs. Kris Russel is doing ok these days though, he's about that weight.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    No thanks
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    6'0, 165 for a defender is way light. "A bit" undersized is really understating things. Twenty more pounds and he's got an NHL frame. Hit the gym, son. Squats, squats, squats.
    Squats may break his legs
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Maybe he just can't put on weight. Period. He's not 18, I think he's probably thought of gaining weight before. His legs point to an eating disorder ffs. Kris Russel is doing ok these days though, he's about that weight.
    Russel is just small, but has a hockey body.

This guy Bodie looks like he's standing on sticks.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Who's that guy with tree trunks behind Russel?

Vorácek.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

It's not like his twig legs are affecting his skating ability though.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    It's not like his twig legs are affecting his skating ability though.
    Maybe not, no — at least at the level he's playing at now, but you can certainly understand why teams would fear it. I'd like to see him play with that frame in the AHL for a bit before I felt confident saying one way or another what his NHL potential is.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

His legs don't have to move a large body. Once he attempts to put on some weight, his agility and shiftiness will suffer (which is apparently a huge part of his game). He's 24 years old. At this point, it'll be tough to gain a ton of weight over the summer (say 15 pounds) and not skate like he's 15 pounds heavier.

That picture is also three years old, from a 2011 article about him playing with his brother at Union.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    That picture is also three years old, from a 2011 article about him playing with his brother at Union.
    This is true. And we're judging a lot based on a simple snap shot. Regardless, I'm at least a little concerned over the height/weight information that's been shared, to say the least.

I'd want to see him really succeed in the AHL well before I even considered his NHL potential. I'd imagine the Rangers feel the same way. Being 24 already, even with the later bloom for defenders, he's gonna have to get it in gear pretty quickly.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I mean we're making a lot out of a tiny (old) pic of the guys calves. Some guys have small calves.

Wayne Simmonds' legs are TINY.

Giroux isn't looking that beastly either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast