• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stephen Colbert Will Succeed David Letterman as Host of The Late Show

Phil

Stephen Colbert is CBS' top choice to replace the retiring David Letterman, and has indicated that he's willing to take over the Late Show when the time comes, people familiar with both sides of the discussions tell Mashable.

Colbert has not had any formal contract discussions with CBS, and no agreement is in place, but sources tell Mashable that he first engaged with network executives while Letterman was still mulling the timing of his retirement. Though CBS has had conversations with other candidates, including Colbert's Comedy Central counterpart Jon Stewart, individuals with knowledge of the situation say Colbert is currently the front-and-center candidate.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/04/stephen-colbert-replace-david-letterman-late-night/

Uggh. I'd have rather Stewart. His show is more on par with that of Late Night than Colbert. Plus, Colbert is one of my faves. I feel he's going to be subdued.

Guys like him and Conan are epic mistakes to put on network late night. Their fan base is very specific.

I like Colbert, but this is a mistake. Colbert is 100% shtick. I'm sure his opening monologue will be fine and he'll come up with some fun/entertaining reoccurring segments that will appeal to some viewers, but he doesn't interview guests, he either mocks them outright or mocks them in a sarcastic way that supports their position. Stewart would have been a better choice, although I can't imagine why he'd want to leave the Daily Show. He gets paid a shit ton, gets a lot of vacation, gets to leave to work on side projects and only puts out a half hour show 4 nights a week.

Stewart, from what I remember, is the highest paid "late night" guy, period. He makes insane money per episode/season doing the Daily Show.

I just googled this to see:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/who-are-the-highest-paid-stars-in-tv-1200585236/

According to a report by TV Guide, “The Daily Show” host Jon Stewart is taking home between $25 and $30 million a year, topping broadcast network competitors Jay Leno and David Letterman, who have seen salary cuts in recent years.

I like Colbert, but this is a mistake. Colbert is 100% shtick. I'm sure his opening monologue will be fine and he'll come up with some fun/entertaining reoccurring segments that will appeal to some viewers, but he doesn't interview guests, he either mocks them outright or mocks them in a sarcastic way that supports their position. Stewart would have been a better choice, although I can't imagine why he'd want to leave the Daily Show. He gets paid a shit ton, gets a lot of vacation, gets to leave to work on side projects and only puts out a half hour show 4 nights a week.

Disagree, there's no way they're just sticking a monologue in front of the Colbert Report and expanding guests/interviews.

Colbert is a bright guy and sharp, so he's got to know that his schtick has a limited shelf life and he's gotta have a different approach for an hour late night show.

I think it was a good choice - and if he doesn't get it done there's always a Plan B.

Disagree, there's no way they're just sticking a monologue in front of the Colbert Report and expanding guests/interviews.

Colbert is a bright guy and sharp, so he's got to know that his schtick has a limited shelf life and he's gotta have a different approach for an hour late night show.

I think it was a good choice - and if he doesn't get it done there's always a Plan B.

Have Jay Leno unretire and swoop in?

Leno's comedy was tame as can be. It's not surprising that he was insanely popular in this country. He rarely offended anyone with his comedy.

Exactly why he sucked IMO. No edge = no risk = no reward. Why should people be rewarded for being mediocre? Eff that noise.

Exactly why he sucked IMO. No edge = no risk = no reward. Why should people be rewarded for being mediocre? Eff that noise.

He sucked to you, but you weren't his target audience. These late night shows are big on their target audience and pandering to them. Leno was the master of the middle-aged, older population. His humor was right up their alley. Not controversial, not silly.

Archived