Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Curb Your Enthusiasm

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I get that, but it's still tabboo.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    It's not taboo because the premise of the show is "These people are being recorded and they don't know what they're doing." And yes, it's dumb.

It's tabboo for television, dude. Can you even name me another show who utilizes that style of filming?

It being intentional doesn't make it any less tabboo.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0
    It's tabboo for television, dude. Can you even name me another show who utilizes that style of filming?

It being intentional doesn't make it any less tabboo.
    I don't care enough to argue. I'll just say that Zack Morris looked at and talked to the camera all the time.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I know what everyone is saying how the humor is meant to be that way, but I can agree with Phil I also don't find the offices camera setting and the actors acting style that funny.
    Sometimes I get a laugh, and its usually from weird looking dude in the glasses (forget his name) and the big bald guy with the lisp.

this show is hilarious but its one of those shows ii have to be in the mood to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    I don't care enough to argue. I'll just say that Zack Morris looked at and talked to the camera all the time.
    Not the same. His was done in monologue/interview style, which is not tabboo.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    this show is hilarious but its one of those shows ii have to be in the mood to watch
    yes this is true. Sometimes I find it almost nauseating while other times funny. But a show like Seinfeld, no matter what mood I'm in I can always sit down and start laughing at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Not the same. His was done in monologue/interview style, which is not tabboo.
    There is no taboo when the point of the show is to intentionally violate the "rules of TV".

Yes, there is.

Intentional violations are still taboo, dude.

For example: polygamy is taboo in the US. You being intentionally polygamous, even to make fun of it, is still taboo, because it's still polygamy.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    yes this is true. Sometimes I find it almost nauseating while other times funny. But a show like Seinfeld, no matter what mood I'm in I can always sit down and start laughing at something.
    dude i can watch seinfeld 24/7 and still laugh my ass off 10 years from now. that is the best show EVER.

Same. Seinfeld has me in stitches no matter how many times I've seen an episode.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Mia San Mia BSBH Prospect
    Phil, you are so wrong about this taboo shit. LOL

I know you always take things to extreme levels, especially against things you don't like, but come on man.

Edit: Ok, I read through the thread and see what your saying. But to point to this as a bad thing because you don't like the show is retarded. It's one of the characteristics of the show that make it unique and original. (And a fucking massive success)

I wouldn't call it taboo, but yes, it's not the norm.
    Last edited by Bluephoria; 06-08-2011 at 11:53 AM.

How am I wrong? Taboo is taboo. It doesn't matter if it's done intentionally or not. It's done intentionally to "break the rules", but the rules still exist, so until they don't, it's still taboo. Logic.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    It's not a traditional comedy though. If, in a show like Seinfeld, they did stuff like this it would be taboo. But the premise of the show is that there is a documentary being done and the people of the office are schmucks.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's "taboo".

On a side note, "taboo" is a stupid word, but a fun game to play.

I don't think it's a reason to hate the show. The show itself sucks. To say "Show is insanely hilarious, but I don't watch it because they look at the camera" is weak.

Taboo: Adjective: Prohibited or restricted by custom.

Custom in television is not to look at the camera, regardless of whether ONE show is trying to change that or not. Until more and more shows take the same approach, it will continue to be taboo.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    I don't think it's a reason to hate the show. The show itself sucks. To say "Show is insanely hilarious, but I don't watch it because they look at the camera" is weak.
    1. Of course it's a reason to hate the show. I can hate it for whatever reason I like. Doesn't change the fact it's a reason.

2. I hate it because it isn't funny. The staring at the camera thing just pisses me off and makes me hate it more.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Yeah, well that's another argument. If you don't think the show is funny, that's one thing, but the "looking into the camera" thing isn't really as apparent as you'd think.

Wrong. Zack Morris looked at the camera. In Scrubs they look at the camera. In documentaries, they look at the camera. The Office is a spoof documentary.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast