• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The 10 Best Pre-Easton Synergy Hockey Sticks

Morphinity 2.0

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2014/03/26/the-10-best-pre-easton-synergy-hockey-sticks/

Sherwood PMP 5030 (Coffey curve mandatory)

Probably the best pure hockey stick ever made. Every other voter using the #presynergy hashtag mentioned it, along with the most important part ? COFFEY CURVE. To describe the Paul Coffey curve on the Sherwood PMP, the best I can do is: C . Not the letter ?C??that?s the shape of the curve. You had NO backhand, and you gave NO s**ts, because you could hit the crossbar while standing on the goal-line.

It was even better when used as a road hockey stick, because a curve like that and a tennis ball? You could hit your brother in the throat nine times out of 10. You?d use it until it was so thin and the toe so sharp you could shank your neighbor like a prison thug. It was the best.

Easton Z-Bubble

A bubble? Revolutionary! (?I guess? Taylor Made was doing it in their drivers around then too, so there must?ve been something to it).

The hell was that bubble supposed to do anyway, aside from create a weak spot just above it?

Anyway, the Easton Z-Bubble was the first have-to-have stick for me. It was a shining beacon of light that led us from the dark ages of wood sticks and into the glorious world of two-pieces. It allowed us the feel of a wood blade, with the weight of a stick a fraction of what you?d been previously using. Never mind that it made for comically-weighted sticks ? it was a revolution. (Speaking of ?revolution,? remember those old Kohos? Those were pretty popular too, though they didn?t make the list.)

I had a few of these sticks. The Titan was my first stick ever. I doubt it was the same model, but it was definitely Titan. The Bauer Supreme was my second stick ever. Lindros curve :cool:

And obviously I had the Sher Wood, with the Coffey curve. I think everyone had one at one point.

Some good nostalgia in this article.

For me...

1- Cooper JP 170

First Jr stick I knew of, had a huge season with it. When it snapped I buried it next to the Middle School rink we practiced at, (I was 10).

2- Titan TPM 2020

Use to get these by the "gross" in the mid 80's for our team. I think Titan use to give em away.

3- Christian 2000

Great thing was I had a bunch of these old sticks still when my son and I built that furniture out of hockey sticks.

Sticks from the 70's, 80's, and 90's...and even a few from the 60's. Was great walking through history with him.

Just so many of the great stick companies are gone now

For me...

1- Cooper JP 170

First Jr stick I knew of, had a huge season with it. When it snapped I buried it next to the Middle School rink we practiced at, (I was 10).

2- Titan TPM 2020

Use to get these by the "gross" in the mid 80's for our team. I think Titan use to give em away.

3- Christian 2000

Great thing was I had a bunch of these old sticks still when my son and I built that furniture out of hockey sticks.

Sticks from the 70's, 80's, and 90's...and even a few from the 60's. Was great walking through history with him.

Just so many of the great stick companies are gone now

My very first stick was a Christian.

Bet Phil wouldn't use one, though.

I've always been partial to good ol' wooden Montr?al's.

2095_1102316238384_1845_n.jpg

Loveeeeeeed the Montreal woodies and their composites that they made later on. The wooden sticks though were for my money the best wooden sticks ever made. I still have an 8825 with the graph light stuff to shave down weight.

What pre-Synergy pro stock stick did you own, Ed?

Growing up a lot of people were into the Montreal sticks for the euro curve. I had some of those, some Sherwood's with chelios curve, but settled in with custom TPS sticks with messier's pro pattern. I also had some aluminum eastons and tps sticks. I used the tps wood all throughout high school though. I remember a lot of people were all about the easton cyclone, but I held out until I got some free Reebok one piece sticks when they entered the hockey market.

Archived