Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: The Hockey News Future Watch Issue Has Rangers Ranked 30th

  1. #1
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,480
    Rep Power
    106

    The Hockey News Future Watch Issue Has Rangers Ranked 30th

    Alright, I'm going to attempt to walk the fine line of posting content without plagiarizing. I will cite everything appropriately, and I'm staying away from using full articles. Since it's paid content, I'm only posting tidbits.

    The Rankings

    Brian Costello, "Giving Meaning To The Grades," Vol. 67 No. 19, The Hockey News: Future Watch 2014

    Handicapping Based on Draft Position

    Brian Costello, "Giving Meaning To The Grades," Vol. 67 No. 19, The Hockey News: Future Watch 2014


    Brian Costello, "Giving Meaning To The Grades," Vol. 67 No. 19, The Hockey News: Future Watch 2014

    Our Top 5

    Steve Zipay, "Mixed Bag Is A Drag," Vol. 67 No. 19, The Hockey News: Future Watch 2014

    The Future 5

    Steve Zipay, "Mixed Bag Is A Drag," Vol. 67 No. 19, The Hockey News: Future Watch 2014


    A few more tidbits: Jonathan Drouin is ranked #1 out of all prospects, and we have one prospect in the Top 50: JT Miller at 23rd.

    The good news is that a lot of our current roster players are young, so we shouldn't reach the point of diminishing returns for 2-3 years yet. The bad news is that we've surrendered a lot of our picks recently, and haven't had/won't have many opportunities to improve the farm system. I suppose there are always trades, but if management is in "win now" mode, I don't see them selling off older assets to get younger.

    I really hope we win a Cup in the next 2-3 years, because if we don't there's a very good chance we'll be waiting at least another decade to contend. Many of the teams around us are rapidly going to leapfrog us in talent and standings. I hope to God Slats knows what he's doing.

  2. #2
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    I don't see how they can mention Sean Couturier for the Flyers, but not mention Chris Kreider for the Rangers. Couturier will have played 200 NHL games by the end of this season!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Shanahammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    7
    They make this list based on U-21 players on the NHL roster, not based on prospects. It says that in the paragraph before the rankings in the magazine.

  4. #4
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,100
    Rep Power
    167
    Haggerty, Skjei, Miller, Duclair, McIlrath

    The process of compiling this list is atrocious.

  5. #5
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,100
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanahammer View Post
    They make this list based on U-21 players on the NHL roster, not based on prospects. It says that in the paragraph before the rankings in the magazine.
    They list 23 year old Danny Kristo

  6. #6
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    Conor Allen is 24. Jesper Fast is 22.

  7. #7
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,480
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    Haggerty, Skjei, Miller, Duclair, McIlrath

    The process of compiling this list is atrocious.
    I don't think those guys are necessarily bad, or underrated. Rather, I think other teams in the league have better talent, and a lot more of it.

  8. #8
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,100
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    I don't think those guys are necessarily bad, or underrated. Rather, I think other teams in the league have better talent, and a lot more of it.
    Fine. but the list is completely irrelevant because it has no basis for compiling these lists. They grab top prospects from one team, but completely ignore other comparable players on different teams.

    You cant use this list to prove a point because its random and arbitrary based on personal bias of the list compiler.

  9. #9
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,480
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    Fine. but the list is completely irrelevant because it has no basis for compiling these lists. They grab top prospects from one team, but completely ignore other comparable players on different teams.

    You cant use this list to prove a point because its random and arbitrary based on personal bias of the list compiler.
    How so? Do you have a subscription and you read the whole thing?

    Not trying to be a dick, I'm legitimately asking why this ranking system is more arbitrary than any other.

  10. #10
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,349
    Rep Power
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    They list 23 year old Danny Kristo
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Conor Allen is 24. Jesper Fast is 22.
    Guessing that NHL players 21 and under count on the list along with everyone in the AHL. Probably use the NHL rookie cutoff number for guys in the AHL. So under 25 NHL games no matter what age in the AHL, something like that.

  11. #11
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,100
    Rep Power
    167
    99ed.

  12. #12
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,349
    Rep Power
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    Haggerty, Skjei, Miller, Duclair, McIlrath

    The process of compiling this list is atrocious.
    The issue came out before Haggerty was signed as well.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Shanahammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    They list 23 year old Danny Kristo
    The team rankings are U-21 NHLers. All of the players listed under the team names are 21 and under. The team prospect list was from a different part of the magazine.

    Any way, the list is from THN, who are always anti-Rangers.

  14. #14
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanahammer
    Any way, the list is from THN, who are always anti-Rangers.
    huh?

  15. #15
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,787
    Rep Power
    60
    Pretty poorly done. Buchenvich is probably our top prospect and he doesn't even get a mention.

  16. #16
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,787
    Rep Power
    60
    Holding their fantasy hockey edition which was published a couple weeks ago. The only thing that has changed is Brandon Halverson has now been inserted at number 8.

  17. #17
    Banned Mite Division duclairtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Pay no attention to that garbage. The hockey world hates NY. Always have. The Rangers had 4 rookies in their lineup this year in Miller, Duclair, Hayes and Fast. This from a team that went to the finals. So much for the 30th ranked system in the league. I can assure you the people who wrote that don't even have a clue who Anthony Duclair is. That's how dumb they are.

  18. #18
    Banned Mite Division duclairtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    All you need to do is look at Carolina who is 5th. Their prospects have been an embarrassment for the most part.

  19. #19
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by duclairtime View Post
    Pay no attention to that garbage. The hockey world hates NY. Always have. The Rangers had 4 rookies in their lineup this year in Miller, Duclair, Hayes and Fast. This from a team that went to the finals. So much for the 30th ranked system in the league. I can assure you the people who wrote that don't even have a clue who Anthony Duclair is. That's how dumb they are.
    Since Hayes didn't come through our system, I'm guessing he wouldn't figure into our rank.

    Miller and Fast don't project to be impact players, Duclair and Buchnevich seem to have the most raw talent, but the system lacks star power.

    We're mostly churning out secondary and depth players which is to be expected when you trade away as many first round picks as we have recently. Not to mention the second rounders.

  20. #20
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,548
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Since Hayes didn't come through our system, I'm guessing he wouldn't figure into our rank.

    Miller and Fast don't project to be impact players, Duclair and Buchnevich seem to have the most raw talent, but the system lacks star power.

    We're mostly churning out secondary and depth players which is to be expected when you trade away as many first round picks as we have recently. Not to mention the second rounders.
    Agreed, "futures" has more to do with next season and the 3 after.
    In that regards, we have a pretty solid defenseman developing Skjei, and a possible blue chip over in Russia.
    But overall in comparison to many teams, we are well far behind.

    I'm not too concerned in that regards since we do have a nice young core group on this team around that 23-26 time frame.
    Our future doesn't look bad....long term question is about the pipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •