Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography Thread — Digital & Film

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Under $150 is the way I go........and I stick with Kodak, mainly b/c I like their software and home photo printer accessories. Camera works fine, not spectacular, but for the price, I can't complain.

Here were 2 shots I took on Lake George 2 weeks ago The view from my cottage was the shiznit!

Canon Powershot series for a point and shoot.

PP Conundrum BSBH Prospect
    Pars those are some nice shots that's for friggen sure!

And Lindsay, are those around the 200 price range?

They can be...depends on which one you get, theres a bout 10 different cameras. I have one of the Elph ones.

Hmmm okay, I just checked a few, some of them are really nice at around 230, which is reasonable, looks like great cameras to me. Not sure why everyone has an obsession with Sony cameras

Look on amazon for them....and like I said, stay away from Sony. kthxbai

Will do, thanks

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Canon Rebel series or Nikon D5100 are excellent beginner DSLRs. Either brand will have something to suit your needs but let me point out some things I've observed along the way. I find the ergonomics on Nikon cameras much easier to use. I've never been and still am not a fan of Canon menus but that's just me. In regards to construction they are pretty much the same until you hit the prosumer level. Image quality is excellent on both, but lenses is where I find they drastically differ. Being a Nikon user I am extremely jealous of the lens lineup Canon offers. You can get L series lenses for a reasonable price, whereas Nikon lenses will cost you about an arm and a leg. If you are able to afford their Pro lenses than which has better IQ is up in the air. When it comes to video however, I have to give it up to Canon. Nikon is catching up, but just not quite there yet.

Oh and this is coming from a Nikon user too.

Senior Member Bantam Division FleshistheFever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears View Post
    Canon Rebel series or Nikon D5100 are excellent beginner DSLRs. Either brand will have something to suit your needs but let me point out some things I've observed along the way. I find the ergonomics on Nikon cameras much easier to use. I've never been and still am not a fan of Canon menus but that's just me. In regards to construction they are pretty much the same until you hit the prosumer level. Image quality is excellent on both, but lenses is where I find they drastically differ. Being a Nikon user I am extremely jealous of the lens lineup Canon offers. You can get L series lenses for a reasonable price, whereas Nikon lenses will cost you about an arm and a leg. If you are able to afford their Pro lenses than which has better IQ is up in the air. When it comes to video however, I have to give it up to Canon. Nikon is catching up, but just not quite there yet.

Oh and this is coming from a Nikon user too.
    In the long run, you think, due to the lens factor, that going with the Canon is a better bet? I really like that Nikon D5100.

Senior Member Midget Division
    K, who wants a Minolta 7XI SLR with two lenses lol

Quote Originally Posted by FleshistheFever View Post
    In the long run, you think, due to the lens factor, that going with the Canon is a better bet? I really like that Nikon D5100.
    If we're talking about a more affordable line of lenses then yes, Canon is the way to go. However, Nikon does offer some pretty good mid-range lenses that should be more than enough for daily use. It's once you start itching for Pro-level glass that it gets annoying with Nikon. If you do decide to go the Nikon route, I can recommend some lenses that won't break the bank

The best advice I can give you is to go to a store like B&H and mess around with different models. What initially won me over with Nikon was the ergonomics. I liked the button layout and menus are a breeze to go through. I owned a D80 first. Sold that, and bought a D7000 (Which btw kicks fucking ass)

Oh and here's a little pro tip. High MP does not necessarily equal better IQ. Don't let them trick you with the numbers game. Some good websites/forums to go to for info

www.nikoncafe.com - Nikon only forum

www.fredmiranda.com - A variety of DSLR owners here

www.photography-on-the.net - Canon forum
    Last edited by Shane Falco; 10-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    I want to take a photography class eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27
    I want to take a photography class eventually.
    You should.

That is how I discovered a passion for it a few years back... by accident.

I would love to do photography, but the costs of the camera is expensive! I mean those 700-800 price range is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Bears View Post
    If we're talking about a more affordable line of lenses then yes, Canon is the way to go. However, Nikon does offer some pretty good mid-range lenses that should be more than enough for daily use. It's once you start itching for Pro-level glass that it gets annoying with Nikon. If you do decide to go the Nikon route, I can recommend some lenses that won't break the bank

The best advice I can give you is to go to a store like B&H and mess around with different models. What initially won me over with Nikon was the ergonomics. I liked the button layout and menus are a breeze to go through. I owned a D80 first. Sold that, and bought a D7000 (Which btw kicks fucking ass)

Oh and here's a little pro tip. High MP does not necessarily equal better IQ. Don't let them trick you with the numbers game. Some good websites/forums to go to for info

www.nikoncafe.com - Nikon only forum

www.fredmiranda.com - A variety of DSLR owners here

www.photography-on-the.net - Canon forum
    Thanks much man.

Just got back from the store, I really liked the feel of the Canon rebel t3i over the Nikon d5100. I didnt like the feel of the Nikon. The Canon felt right. Im slowly learning. Just downloaded 643 books on photography. Some very good beginner books along with a ton a specialized stuff to reference in the future. Im psyched. Cant wait to get this hobby started!

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by viventi View Post
    Dont buy a Sony thats all I'll say...all their shit is proprietary. And not much third party things are made for them. Waste of money. Stick with Canon and Nikon.

Like others said, the lower end Canon Rebel Series cameras are good for beginners.
    Says the Apple employee. Seriously though, their DSLR stuff is all based on purchasing Minolta, so not sure how proprietary it is. The A-mount's first appeared on Minolta cameras in 1988 and they've been producing lenses for it since. Plenty of third party lenses. As far as other third party stuff, that's not true either. You can get filters, remotes, batteries, memory, flashes etc from plenty of third party providers.
    Last edited by AmericanJesus; 10-19-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    K, who wants a Minolta 7XI SLR with two lenses lol
    What are the two lenses?

What are a couple good lenses to have in a starters arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by FleshistheFever View Post
    What are a couple good lenses to have in a starters arsenal?
    I like having an all purpose medium zoom lense, say 18-55mm to leave on the body. Your second lens depends more on the type of photography you expect to do. If you're going to be shooting something far away outdoors, you'll want a higher zoom lense, something like a 70-210 or so. Good for bird photography and outdoor sports. If you're doing portraits and want to blur out backgrounds or if you want to shoot indoors with lower light, a good prime lense will give you a larger apareture than you can get on a zoom. So a f/1.8 50mm prime lens might be the way to go. The downside of prime lenses is that you're stuck with the framing that you can get at the distance you're at.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast