Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Airliner Carrying 239 People Believed To Have Crashed in Indian Ocean

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    I'm not one for really weird theories, but here's something crazy... if true. This is based on initial articles by local media, but the Singapore Strait Times is fairly credible and they have a reporter saying he was there when someone called and it kept ringing. On the other hand, people will grasp for anything that gives them hope and it's not a reason to really get ahead of anything.

Also, to show how bad of a paper The Mirror is, the map they show isn't even remotely correct. It puts the disappearance far too close to China.

The family of a passenger on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight successfully rang his mobile phone - but nobody answered.

This video shows the moment relatives of a Chinese man among the 239 people feared dead after the passenger jet mysteriously disappeared rang his phone live on state television.

The call connected, but then rang out.

Chinese media reports that a number of families have been able to ring mobile phones of their missing loved ones but no one answers.

The development raises even more questions about what has happened to flight MH370.
    Source: The Mirror

---

Here's a piece on it by the more reputable Straits Times:

Several family members told Mr Dunleavy that passengers' mobile phones were ringing, although no one picked up. The connection should be used to get the Global Positioning System coordinates of the phones' locations, they said.

Mr Dunleavy said MAS was also trying the mobile phones of the crew members, and that they also rang. But it could not do more, he said, and had given the numbers to the Chinese authorities.
    Madam Nan, who declined to give her full name and whose husband works in Singapore and was on board the plane, caused a stir when she dialled through to her husband's mobile phone. Others present spoke to the person on the other end for her as the person could not understand her Shandong accent.

It turned out that she had entered the wrong country code and got through to a random Beijinger instead. Crestfallen, she and her six family members who had just arrived in Beijing yesterday said they were at their wits' end.
    Bolded is how rumours are born.

Although... maybe, just maybe, PREVIOUSLY ON LOST.
    Last edited by Jules; 03-10-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

LET'S GO RANGERS! Pee-Wee Division Gorilla Salad's Avatar
    I heard on the radio this morning that US satellites did not "see" an explosion in the air during it's flight. It was 6am and I was still half asleep driving to work, but it woke me up and made me think, what the hell kind of secret stuff do we have floating around in space that could detect an aircraft explode over Malaysia at 1am?

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Salad View Post
    If you want to see the playback from it's flight path and when it disappears, follow this link... It takes a couple of seconds to load, but then the plane will appear (it's the one heading due north - click on it once to highlight, the call letters should be MH370) and you can see how it just drops off the radar. Very sobering and quite frightening.

http://www.flightradar24.com/2014-03...61838687073688
    Can you spoon feed me the location of the plane? It looks like a lot are going north
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

I heard on the radio this morning that US satellites did not "see" an explosion in the air during it's flight. It was 6am and I was still half asleep driving to work, but it woke me up and made me think, what the hell kind of secret stuff do we have floating around in space that could detect an aircraft explode over Malaysia at 1am?
    It's not that very secret. Since the beginning of satellite technology, the US has always used them for military purposes. One of the purposes was the pick up on the signals, including flashes, sounds and airwaves, that come with large explosions. One of those is the Vela satellite project, which was designed to expose nuclear tests in the Soviet Union and elsewhere. Nowadays, the receptors of the satellites are so advanced, that the same systems used for intercepting long-range missiles - which besides being seen on radar, can also be found on sound and the signals that come with launching them - can potentially be used to pick up on airplane accidents.

Not spotting it doesn't mean it didn't happen, although it's fair to assume the US basically has the world covered at all times and absolutely everywhere. I don't think there's a single country with so much radar and satellite equipment installed across the globe and circling our planet as the US. That makes it all the more astonishing, that despite US efforts in this search, the plane still hasn't been found. If had been anywhere else but on the bottom of the ocean, it surely had been seen or heard by now.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Can you spoon feed me the location of the plane? It looks like a lot are going north
    If you wait a little bit (30+ seconds or so), a plane with the code MA S370 (hover your mouse over the planes to see the flight number) will move NNE through the middle of your screen with very few other planes around it and then disappear.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Its the one right over the "Y" in Malaysia. It's labeled MAS370. Click it once to highlight it red and you can see it's path and where it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    It's not that very secret. Since the beginning of satellite technology, the US has always used them for military purposes. One of the purposes was the pick up on the signals, including flashes, sounds and airwaves, that come with large explosions. One of those is the Vela satellite project, which was designed to expose nuclear tests in the Soviet Union and elsewhere. Nowadays, the receptors of the satellites are so advanced, that the same systems used for intercepting long-range missiles - which besides being seen on radar, can also be found on sound and the signals that come with launching them - can potentially be used to pick up on airplane accidents.

Not spotting it doesn't mean it didn't happen, although it's fair to assume the US basically has the world covered at all times and absolutely everywhere. I don't think there's a single country with so much radar and satellite equipment installed across the globe and circling our planet as the US. That makes it all the more astonishing, that despite US efforts in this search, the plane still hasn't been found. If had been anywhere else but on the bottom of the ocean, it surely had been seen or heard by now.
    Oh I know we have some cool stuff floating around up there, but they made it sound like we have an eyeball on everything on the planet at any given time.

Oh I know we have some cool stuff floating around up there, but they made it sound like we have an eyeball on everything on the planet at any given time.
    That's a pretty fair assessment, actually.
    Hidden Content

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    We do.

That's a pretty fair assessment, actually.
    But doesn't it make you wonder why we can't spot a 777 airliner or some evidence of wreckage of it, that's been missing for 3 days now?

But doesn't it make you wonder why we can't spot a 777 airliner or some evidence of wreckage of it, that's been missing for 3 days now?
    It does, but a crashed plane emits no signal but visuals and on the open ocean it's extremely difficult to spot debris, because it floats around and is often really small chunks on the plane across a fairly large area.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    It does, but a crashed plane emits no signal but visuals and on the open ocean it's extremely difficult to spot debris, because it floats around and is often really small chunks on the plane across a fairly large area.
    Well technically they can eventually ping for the planes boxes. It's how they were able to recover them on the Air France crash from 2009. And that crash was the most challenging to find simply because of the distance from land, the immense depths of the ocean, and the fact that most of the debris rested on the underwater mountains of the mid atlantic ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    Well technically they can eventually ping for the planes boxes. It's how they were able to recover them on the Air France crash from 2009. And that crash was the most challenging to find simply because of the distance from land, the immense depths of the ocean, and the fact that most of the debris rested on the underwater mountains of the mid atlantic ridge.
    Yes they can, but I believe the range is very limited on the black boxes. 150-250 miles I believe.

Yes they can, but I believe the range is very limited on the black boxes. 150-250 miles I believe.
    Well they ended up finding the boxes for the 2009 crash almost 2 years later. It took a vast effort to do so. What also made it a little easier is that as crazy as it sounds that plane hit the water nearly intact, if not completely intact.

People want answers and those poor families want them the most. This plane will eventually get found, its just going to take some time and patience.

I do admit though, the cell phone stuff is a little freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    Well they ended up finding the boxes for the 2009 crash almost 2 years later. It took a vast effort to do so.

People want answers and those poor families want them the most. This plane will eventually get found, its just going to take some time and patience.

I do admit though, the cell phone stuff is a little freaky.
    MORE than a little!

Yeah, the Air France Airbus that crashed in the Atlantic hit the water fully intact. It's anyone's guess what the state of this plane was.

---

Someone also mentioned this, because transponders can be turned off. In 2003 someone, or multiple people, stole a Boeing 727 and were never found. The plane vanished and the one mechanic on board was either the culprit or a victim.
    Last edited by Jules; 03-10-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    Hidden Content

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I thought the signal only went out 5-10 miles from the boxes position.

//reported Junior Division
    watching that website with the tracker...
    mas370 isn't the only plane to just "disappear"
    LGR!

What makes this disappearance even more bizarre is that on a big wide body 777 like this aircraft there are two transponders, one on the front of the plane and one in the rear. If it was a bomb then it would mean that terrorists had to somehow turn off both transponders before any bomb went off, all of this which would be near impossible and could only be done by someone with serious aviation knowledge.

Like I said though they need to be patient because pieces of Air France 447 were not found until 5 days after it went off radar. And the actual main debris of the flight and the boxes on were not found on the ocean floor until 2011.

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    They mentioned somewhere if it crashed in the ocean,the beacon or pulse device in the black should be sending out a pulse and that it can work up to 20000 feet under water
    WEird

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast