Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Airliner Carrying 239 People Believed To Have Crashed in Indian Ocean

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect

Exclamation Malaysian Airliner Carrying 239 People Believed To Have Crashed in Indian Ocean

A Malaysian Airlines plane carrying 239 people is missing. It was supposed to land in Beijing two hours ago from Kuala Lumpur, they likely lost contact a while before that and hoped it was just connection issues, but with the plane nowhere... it's now missing and they are sending search and rescue crews to "likely areas" looking for clues. So, it's likely crashed, maybe still in Malaysia, possibly in the ocean, but for now, no idea.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Midget Division
    That blows.
    ‎"...the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of Party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it... It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the Government itself through the channels of party passions."
    -George Washington
    Hidden Content

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Crashed or hijacked?

Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    Crashed or hijacked?
    Malaysian Airlines just said they have literally "no idea" where it is, but it hasn't turned up anywhere yet at a possible airport near the flight plan and it's been long since it would usually run out of fuel. So, maybe a hijacking let to the crash, but barring a strange turn of events, it's definitely crashed.

Now some air traffic analysts say it was lost about two hours into the flight, in or near Vietnam airspace and within a minute from a reading putting it at a usual speed and at cruising altitude. Very, very strange.
    Hidden Content

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Any idea what kind of plane? Very strange to crash anywhere but take off or landing.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Strange. Theyd usually knoe about mechanical issues and such.

I see now.. 777.. A fantastic airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Any idea what kind of plane? Very strange to crash anywhere but take off or landing.
    It's a Boeing 777-200ER, which was in two major previous incidents, but none similar to this. One overshot a runway at Heathrow due to icing in 2008 (no fatalities) and there was a 777-200ER involved in the Asiana Airlines crash at San Francisco last year (2 dead).

Remember that crash over the Atlantic with an Air France flight from Brazil to Paris? That was a weird incident, caused by a very odd case of minor mechanical failure leading to a grave pilot error.
    Hidden Content

Yes, that's what I immediately thought of. It was an Airbus, but yeah, the captain was sleeping at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Yes, that's what I immediately thought of. It was an Airbus, but yeah, the captain was sleeping at the wrong time.
    When you read that report, what a horrible way to go and what an enormous mistake they made. The plane basically fell out of the air like a brick.
    Hidden Content

The majority of people on board are Chinese (153) and Malaysian (38), other nationalities are no more than a dozen, with 4 Americans, 2 Canadians and one Dutch citizen.

"Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established."

It's a 99 percent certainty the plane is somewhere in the Gulf of Thailand. Ugh.
    Last edited by Jules; 03-07-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    Hidden Content

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    That sucks
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

It's starting to very much look like an act of terrorism. Two people "checked in" on the flight were an Italian and an Austrian, but as their governments were trying to track down and inform their families, it became clear they were very much alive and well. One is vacationing in Thailand right now and the other did so last year, with a connecting factor between them: their passports were stolen.

Also, they've found oil traces in the area it mostly likely crashed in, but no sign yet of the fuselage or even the smallest debris. A nightmare scenario for everybody. Okay, except for maybe Boeing, I guess.
    Hidden Content

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    I'm not even joking, but maybe something extra terrestrial happened
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I'm not even joking, but maybe something extra terrestrial happened
    This is what my grandma just said. She loves aliens.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

---

All joking aside, because I really don't think this was an extra-terrestrial event, there was another strange turn about the stolen passports: at least four travelers now deemed suspicious, including the two traveling on the stolen passports - were connecting on a flight to Europe. Two of them to Amsterdam with connections to Denmark and elsewhere. That makes it less likely they were attempting a hijacking on this flight, I'd say, although all in all... it's just strange.

Now they are even considering the plane made some sort of attempt to turn around after contact was lost and the just extend the search area, because aside from some oil trails there's absolutely nothing yet. That doesn't mean much, it's still a big area and the ocean is constantly in motion, so we'll have to wait. The lost Air France flight also took several days, albeit that was a huge search area and over the Atlantic.
    Hidden Content

Vietnamese reconnaissance airplanes have spotted what appears to be a door and a part of the tail about 50 miles SW of To Chu Island, which is the general direction of the oil tracks found earlier and the direction of the last radar and transponder submission before all contact was lost.
    Hidden Content

Well I hope my old reliable 737-700 can get me home Wednesday. God damn I hate this shit.

Wolf Pack Employee Squirt Division Cindy Crosby's Avatar
    so they still have no idea where the plane went? is it possible to keep going up and up and up?
    Total Posts: 2,885

...and in goal, NUMBER 30 HENNNNRIKKKK LUNDQVISSST!

RIP ScarsThatSmile

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Crosby View Post
    so they still have no idea where the plane went? is it possible to keep going up and up and up?
    Haha, no. It would run out of fuel - there's usually fuel for the estimated flight length plus 20-30% - and a regular airplane doesn't have the engine power or wing lift to reach the higher parts of the atmosphere.

So don't worry, there's not a plane full of Chinese businessmen on a course for Mars right now.

They have an idea where it is by the way, but right as the night fell the possible debris was found, so they have to wait until tomorrow morning (which is in a few hours in Vietnam) to continue the investigation.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast