Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety & Panic Attacks

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    It does change your life but believe it or not, it's had many positive effects on mine. Despite how they feel, it's not always a bad thing. Sometimes anxiety is a way of your body telling you that something is wrong. There are countless people out there that forget how important it is to take care of ones self. I don't mean going to work and handling daily responsibilities. I'm referring to giving yourself time to unwind, rest, resolve issues that have been put off for too long etc.

Speaking from personal experience, I wouldn't have that kind of awareness now where it not for what my time with anxiety has put me through.

I completely agree. See post above
    I agree, but everyone has different problems to deal with. Unwinding from your craziness, may not be the same for me unwinding from mine. Maybe some of your stresses can go away in a day or 2, when mine can't. Or vice versa, of course.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect

Anxiety & Panic Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I agree, but everyone has different problems to deal with. Unwinding from your craziness, may not be the same for me unwinding from mine. Maybe some of your stresses can go away in a day or 2, when mine can't. Or vice versa, of course.
    Of course and I understand that. My point was that I had to learn how to confront and deal with the numerous factors that were contributing to my attacks. I still get them from time to time but they are nowhere near where they once were. I've learned different techniques and made changes accordingly along the way. It's a process and it's one that can't be rushed.

In the beginning, I thought what was triggering my attacks was minor. I didn't come to find out until years later how much more profound those issues were. I did speak to a shrink about them for a while but refused meds like you. I don't need to tell you that it hasn't been easy, but it can be done.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I only get 'anxious' when I drive... it can escalate if I'm around a lot of cars/bad drivers. I try to remove myself from the situation and get some air... I can feel part of my brain practically shutting off, so refocusing helps 'reset' me a little.

Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    I only get 'anxious' when I drive... it can escalate if I'm around a lot of cars/bad drivers. I try to remove myself from the situation and get some air... I can feel part of my brain practically shutting off, so refocusing helps 'reset' me a little.
    I'm just starting to experience this shit now. My wife says it's because all of the driving that I do all year with Michael. It makes sense.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    Of course and I understand that. My point was that I had to learn how to confront and deal with the numerous factors that were contributing to my attacks. I still get them from time to time but they are nowhere near where they once were. I've learned different techniques and made changes accordingly along the way. It's a process and it's one that can't be rushed.

In the beginning, I thought what was triggering my attacks was minor. I didn't come to find out until years later how much more profound those issues were. I did speak to a shrink about them for a while but refused meds like you. I don't need to tell you that it hasn't been easy, but it can be done.
    Absolutely. And a lot of it will start to stir because you think there's something physically wrong with you. Any slight muscle tweak, or twinge, and you think you're dying. I go for a physical every year, have been for the last 15 years or so. I have some minor issues, but nothing life threatening. I have a dilated aortic root, it sounds serious, but it's not. It's actually very common. I get it monitored every 2 years. I have no restrictions on diet, or activity, yet subconsciously I think it leads to my heart skipping a beat, can't catch my breath, etc .. when in fact it's all stress, panic, anxiety related. I have a water cyst on my kidney. Again, nothing serious. 75% of the world has them, but when I don't watch what I eat, it gets bigger and causes pain, and frequent urination. Again, that shit makes you think you're dying, when you're not. It's all mind over matter, and you have to remind yourself that you're not dying. I probably go to the doctor twice a year, and once is for my physical. I know what's wrong, so I don't have to visit every time I'm in a frenzy.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I get anxiety, but luckily no panic attacks.

PP Conundrum BSBH Prospect
    My girlfriend has panic attacks. When we went to Universal last year, she couldn't take the heat and the people around. She started getting really dizzy and started feeling numb.

I don't know if I have it, but I do get some of these symptoms when I'm around too many people. E.g. - a really packed train, I start sweating and getting nervous.

Senior Member Bantam Division Tonybologna's Avatar
    I've had anxiety for a few years now, only 1 or 2 panic attacks in that time (one of the scariest things ever). Xanax helps a lot and rather than being totally dependent on it, I've gotten better at dealing with anxiety without actually taking it because just knowing I have it helps.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    What exactly brings it on? I know it's a very general question and will differ with each person, but besides the concept of stress, what kind of situations will bring on the stress that enables a panic attack for some of you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    What exactly brings it on? I know it's a very general question and will differ with each person, but besides the concept of stress, what kind of situations will bring on the stress that enables a panic attack for some of you guys?
    Keith, it could be anything. Whatever stress is piled upon that person. It could be an accumulation of things.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

That sounds like a nightmare situation. I've been very fortunate where I don't think i've ever experienced something like that. I wouldn't be able to really survive at my job if i did i think.

Deleted Midget Division
    My girlfriend suffers from Agoraphobia, which means she suffers panic attacks anytime she is far from home.

She can't go outside of a (undefined and fluid) radius without completely shutting down. It's terrifying to see. Additionally this fear of relinquished power (or distance) has also permeated her ability to get on elevators, which she fears will never open and then cause a panic attack.

At this point, the fear of a panic attack is worse than the actual event as it has caused her to withdraw from many activities and seriously impacts her life.

That sounds like a nightmare situation. I've been very fortunate where I don't think i've ever experienced something like that. I wouldn't be able to really survive at my job if i did i think.
    I think you'd be surprised at how many officers have them. It's probably not something they would want to share. A lot of the time they come and go in spurts. Like you'll get them for a few days, and then be fine for a while. So if you ever see a co-worker taking consecutive days off, there's a good chance they're buggin.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    My girlfriend suffers from Agoraphobia, which means she suffers panic attacks anytime she is far from home.

She can't go outside of a (undefined and fluid) radius without completely shutting down. It's terrifying to see. Additionally this fear of relinquished power (or distance) has also permeated her ability to get on elevators, which she fears will never open and then cause a panic attack.

At this point, the fear of a panic attack is worse than the actual event as it has caused her to withdraw from many activities and seriously impacts her life.
    I understand that. It happens to me sometimes. Stress, panic, and anxiety is all related. It all comes and goes on certain situations.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post

My mother had the same issue. She was home-bound most of her adult life.

I think you'd be surprised at how many officers have them. It's probably not something they would want to share. A lot of the time they come and go in spurts. Like you'll get them for a few days, and then be fine for a while. So if you ever see a co-worker taking consecutive days off, there's a good chance they're buggin.
    oh im sure there are some cops that have it, just at least where i work it would be pretty difficult to function on the job. Most of the time, we are solo in the cars and on assignments, so if a cop would shut down in high stress events (even simple auto accident reports can be high stress if both parties turn it into an arguing nightmare) it would get around pretty quick.

Doesnt sound like fun at all.

oh im sure there are some cops that have it, just at least where i work it would be pretty difficult to function on the job. Most of the time, we are solo in the cars and on assignments, so if a cop would shut down in high stress events (even simple auto accident reports can be high stress if both parties turn it into an arguing nightmare) it would get around pretty quick.

Sometimes being in the middle of any event, can keep your head clear, and keep your mind off it.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My mother had the same issue. She was home-bound most of her adult life.
    Not what I was hoping to hear, but thank you for sharing.

To be completely honest, we would be married by now if I didn't think she'd flee from the alter.

Sometimes being in the middle of any event, can keep your head clear, and keep your mind off it.
    That can make sense. I guess then the anticipation of an event even before it happens could trigger an attack?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast