• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Networking Issue With Chromecast, OSX

Phil

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Just picked up a ChromeCast, which I've effectively set-up and attached to my network through my laptop, but it's not being picked up by other iOS devices (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5).

Did a quick Google search on why this might happen, and was directed to Google's "Chromecast Router Compatibility" page, which displays my router (Linksys/Cisco E3200), which apparently needs firmware version 1.0.02 build 9 to function properly.

So here's the kicker ? I ran Cisco Connect, the app that controls/accesses the router, but hit an error:

Unsupported operating system

The router sofware supports these operating systems:

- Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later

- Mac OS X 10.6.1 or later

- Mac OS X 10.7 or later

For support information on other versions of Mac OS X, visit
http://homesupport.cisco.com/linksys/support.

I'm running 10.9.1.

So when I head there, and look under Downloads, the version they have listed is Cisco Connect Setup Software for Mac from 01/09/2012, Ver.1.4.12005.2 ? the same version I already have installed.

Talk about a brick wall.

Now what?

Whoops, reading further, it doesn't appear that it supports mavericks,as you have stated. Atleast the Cisco connect software won't. Do you have another Mac running lion (10.7) which you can update the firmware from?

Nope. That's what I feared. So it looks like that's the only avenue in which I'll be able to do this?

Nope. That's what I feared. So it looks like that's the only avenue in which I'll be able to do this?

Can you just do a firmware update from the web interface when you connect to your router, or do you need the connect software? Seems weird that it would be reliant on your OS when so many different devices would connect to the router.

edit: I guess what I am asking is, is the connect software independent of your browser, or can you just type in your IP address of your router, and access a web interface

Ahh,I see. You could do a hard reset of your router, and that would most likely clear out any passwords (although do that at your own risk as I have never done that with a linksys router, only dlink) but that would mean you would need to reconfigure your network

Also, when doubt, unless you know that you changed the credentials of your router when you login via ip, the password is usually something stupid like admin

I'm not even sure, looking at the linksys support site, that you would even be able to do it from the web interface anyway. Since my network is so easy to set up, I wouldn't think twice about doing a hard reset to gain new credentials, but I don't want you to fuck all of your systems up, especially for something that might not be a tangible solution. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

One last thing, when logging into the router, did you leave the user name blank, and enter the password as admin? I looked it up and that is the default combination

Yup. Tried all four standard log in paths.

admin/admin

blank/admin

admin/blank

blank/blank

None work.

I feel your pain though, I can't get airprint to work with hp printers because the printers won't work with iOS 7. So now I have 50 iPads, that had print capability under the old iOS, that can't print. Those printers were purchased for that feature, and that feature alone, now they are giant paper weights

Archived