Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Liquor Thread

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well until you're our age LOL.
    Hopefully it's not a constant growth, because the change in the last three years has been terrible.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    I'm a simple man with simple needs when it comes to liquor. I prefer vodka(Grey Goose, Belvedere), whiskey(Jameson, Jack Daniels) and rum(Bacardi Gold). I usually just drink it straight or with soda. I'm not a huge liquor fan to begin with. More of a beer guy.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Senior Member Junior Division
    ive been trying to avoid buying liquor at bars. way too overpriced and probably watered down.

Drink the good liquor at home before you go out and have a couple of beers while your at the bar. Save some money. Why pay $10 for a Jamesons on the rocks?

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    I like Black Label and pay for part of peeties scotches. I mostly stick to beer
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

its my goal in life to one day be able to get a bottle of blue label and not put myself in financial strain on myself to get it

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    It's my goal in life to be able to buy people bottles of Blue Label with their names engraved on the bottle as thank yous
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Turn 35 and get one for your BDay like I did LOL.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Don Julio 1942 is the greatest tequila ever.....and I HATE tequila.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Mostly I have a glass of red, or an IPA, but back when I used to drink more hard liquor (until I found it made it impossible to lose weight) these were some favorites

I got lucky a few years back — a bunch of guys in my office are dry, and they just gave me samples of a few that have become favorites

I've been a devout single malt scotch fan, but I found this Michter's # 1 U.S. Rye just right, and even better, it was free, but I've since purchased a couple more bottles, and it's priced right.

Buffalo Trace is a great deal for a inexpensive Bourbon.

Hendrick's Gin, tastes so damn good you don't even need tonic water — con: the dark bottle does not let me know when Junior has been sneaking shots

But the Freebie surprise was Farmers Organic gin -- I thought it was a gimmick, but that stuff was magical.

Vodka's hard to keep in the house but Ketel 1 is a nice moderately priced high quality vodka, and the cheap Smirny Red is for the wife for cooking penne a la vodka, not for drinking.

Now onto the single malt. Unfortunately the price has gone up about 30% in the last several years, and it piles on the pounds, so I backed off, but back in the day I used to rotate four at once —*they all taste so different, just great nuances or some really out there:

Highland Park was my everyday —*it's got accents of leather, tobacco, orange, and a hint of sweet,peat, smoke, a lot of other things going for it but just really well rounded — unfortunately the good vintage that was stealth fantastic got used up and the next vintages they brought in were older and more expensive.
    Royal Lochnagar ^ like HP —*had a young one that was very inexpensive and very good, and an old special edition that was a once in a 10 year purchase duty free. Only comes out for single malt drinking friends on special occasions. It's nearly gone. Must be well north of $200 a bottle now to replace.
    Glenmorangie -- the regular version, I like as a good everyday kinda single malt
    Oban - excellent but always gave me a headache; something strange with that one,
    Glendronach - A good scotch matured in casks that used to have sherry in them, very pleasant,
    Macallan - similar to Glendronach but a little more well balanced
    Clynelish 14 was one of the best deals I ever got —*back 10 years ago it was around $35 a bottle, and delivered taste worth of twice the price
    Peat Smoke, OIl, Iodine:
    Talisker 10 -- if you like swimming in a sea of firey kelp behind an oil tanker, this one is for you.
    Laphroaig - a huge peat smokey island whisky that puts hair on yer chest, and inside your throat, and your lungs
    Caol Ila - almost a poor man's Lagavulin with similar strong peat flavour and iodine notes
    There's a whole universe of different flavors in single malt. get into it and Johnny Walker starts to taste like lighter fluid, which, since it's blended with straight grain alcohol, it's not far off.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Used to be a big Single Malt guy before it was all the rage.

among others some favorites were:

Lagavulin = best of the Islay
    Macallan 18 = Most well balanced speyside, extremely high quality.
    Glenmorangie = very smooth single malt
    Glen Ord = less known single malt that is much better than its price indicates

Irish whisky as well with:

Jameson
    Bushmill's black bush

I also always drank bourbon because it was my father's choice of drink so I always had access to it, slowly over the years I'm starting to lean more and more towards this under appreciated under rated drink:

Jack Daniels My dads fav
    Woodforde ReserveNew Fav, Extremely good
    Maker's Mark, the old standby
    Jim Beam Black best bang for your buck, amazing quality for the price

Vodka:

Absolut
    Last edited by momentum; 12-07-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba Ba Bluey View Post
    Don Julio 1942 is the greatest tequila ever.....and I HATE tequila.
    Delicious stuff. Tequila is probably my favorite liquor... you can sip it or pound it away pretty easily, and for some reason it never gets me black out drunk like other booze. Most people HATE the stuff, but I absolutely love it.

Some of my other favorites in terms of tequila are 1921 and Casa Noble. There is a liquor store by NYU that sells Casa Noble blanco for just over $30. Probably the best deal in tequila, period.

Tanquery and Sapphire, not so much. But the difference between those and something like Beefeater, yea. Beefeater tastes the way nail polish remover smells.
    Shh, I love beefeater in gin and tonics. Sapphire is too polished and boring

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Anyone drink good grappa? I get mine homemade (ha, Italian moonshine) from a friend, but that stuff is so strong. It's foul straight up, but amazing in an espresso coffee or if you soak some fresh fruit in for a couple days. Cherries, peach, orange. Very good and quickest rush to the head.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Shh, I love beefeater in gin and tonics. Sapphire is too polished and boring
    Boring? Uh, OK...Bad gin tastes like paint thinner. It's worse than bad vodka, imo.

from my research today, Martin Miller gin is supposed to be the shit. Also Tanguray Ten. And then Beefeaters is supposed to be a solid bargain choice. This was based on mostly a couple different blind tastings I read about.

I guess now I just need to get those three plus maybe something like seagrams and something like bombay sapphire and do a blind tasting myself.
    ‎"...the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of Party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it... It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the Government itself through the channels of party passions."
    -George Washington
    Hidden Content

Always shots of Jameson, Jameson and gingers or a solid beer. I hang out in lots of hipster Brooklyn bars and have grown fond of the 2 dollar pbrs on a night when I'm pounding, usually a seasonal beer when I'm chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Anyone drink good grappa? I get mine homemade (ha, Italian moonshine) from a friend, but that stuff is so strong. It's foul straight up, but amazing in an espresso coffee or if you soak some fresh fruit in for a couple days. Cherries, peach, orange. Very good and quickest rush to the head.
    Long time ago.

A relative, Tante Julie Bonaventure lived to a rip old age, kept her own rabbits, and doves, and an orchard, maybe some chickens, fer eatin, and other trees, near a stream, in this little heaven on earth she lived in a place called Vallery I think it was, and I remember her climbing up the ladder when she was like 80-90 ish like it was nothing, but she made this eau-de-vie in the basement, that was just completely insane. Prune-based, I think. I found some replica stuff from Oregon that was decent, but hard to match the original.
    And completely legal at the time. I mean, in France in the 70s I doubt there was any loi against it. I mean people just did that, and they didn't go blind. They knew what they were doing.

I was way young, but thoes were some of the finest moments I just never forgot ... lot of family on vacation, eating all day, playing ping pong with older cuzzes, and learning how to hold semi-wild rabbits so you don't get bitten.

I just googled a bit and found a pic from around some old farm buildings that were typical

ha, and an old Citroen DS like one of my rels drove, the fckin maddest futuristic car ever built, with hydro-pneumatic suspension that was just crazy good. You could raise it up an extra 10 inches or so, get over obstacles and whatnot, just by pushing a lever.

It seems liek Halle Berry got married down there, which totally screws up the image search, but really, it was like "nowhere," back then, just somewhere tiny in the vast countryside southeast of Paris.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 12-15-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Boring? Uh, OK...Bad gin tastes like paint thinner. It's worse than bad vodka, imo.
    I agree, but Beefeater isn't anywhere close to being a bad gin so the point is moot for me

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Well, it's no Sapphire.

I've been on meloxicam for a month, I pretty much forgot what alcohol tastes like - can you imagine going through this losing-ass homestand with only 2 drinks in 30 days (the days I was off the anti-inflammatory.[they seriously do not mix])

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast