• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, About That Huge Happening [SPOILER] in Family Guy...

How do you feel about family guy killing off Brian?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about family guy killing off Brian?

• Jumping the shark?
    • still good?

Man, I can't believe the intense narrative of Family Guy was spoiled in this thread.

:rofl:

Well played, sir.

Oh, and:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?6303-Important-Information-About-How-Spoilers-Work-Here

Spoilers are treated as information released BEFORE the airing of an event. That means, if you watch Show A on Sunday's at 8PM EST, and your show ends at 9PM EST, at 9:01PM EST you are free to discuss everything that just happened.

But that's a spoiler for everyone who hasn't seen it yet!

You're right, and you also answered your own question. Television shows have air times for a reason. Watch the show at it's original air time and you won't have to worry about having information "spoiled" for you. Until then, simply avoid the thread that you know is likely to spoil it for you.

For the thread at least. Titles, I agree, need to be spoiler-free.

Well played, sir.

Oh, and:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?6303-Important-Information-About-How-Spoilers-Work-Here

For the thread at least. Titles, I agree, need to be spoiler-free.

"Television shows have air times for a reason. Watch the show at it's original air time and you won't have to worry about having information "spoiled" for you."

This is dinosaur thinking, IMO. Rarely do people watch anything at the original airtime anymore, and in the future, even less. What would the next rule about spoilers be in subscription-based TV?

"Television shows have availability alerts for a reason. Wait by your laptop/tablet/mobile device and watch the show as soon as Netflix makes it available for streaming and you won't have to worry about having information "spoiled" for you."

"Television shows have air times for a reason. Watch the show at it's original air time and you won't have to worry about having information "spoiled" for you."

This is dinosaur thinking, IMO. Rarely do people watch anything at the original airtime anymore, and in the future, even less. What would the next rule about spoilers be in subscription-based TV?

"Television shows have availability alerts for a reason. Wait by your laptop/tablet/mobile device and watch the show as soon as Netflix makes it available for streaming and you won't have to worry about having information "spoiled" for you."

No, it will be dinosaur thinking, eventually. It's getting to that point, but it's not there yet. Until more and more shows begin operating on the Netflix-type platforms, or via mobile, etc. the simplest solution is to base all spoiler-based information on nationally televised airtime, EST. It's still the industry standard, at least for the time being.

Once the cable mold is broken, we can actually discuss viable alternatives for preventing spoilers. For now, I think not including them in thread titles and asking users not to be stupid enough to read threads dedicated to shows they don't watch on time is reasonable.

No, it will be dinosaur thinking, eventually. It's getting to that point, but it's not there yet. Until more and more shows begin operating on the Netflix-type platforms, or via mobile, etc. the simplest solution is to base all spoiler-based information on nationally televised airtime, EST. It's still the industry standard, at least for the time being.

Once the cable mold is broken, we can actually discuss viable alternatives for preventing spoilers. For now, I think not including them in thread titles and asking users not to be stupid enough to read threads dedicated to shows they don't watch on time is reasonable.

I mean for spoilers in general. All over. FB, Twitter, Etc.

How many shows do you watch at their original airtime?

I mean for spoilers in general. All over. FB, Twitter, Etc.

How many shows do you watch at their original airtime?

Provided something doesn't prevent me from doing so, quite a few. Or within an hour or so of original air time.

Homeland, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Southpark, How I Met Your Mother, etc.

Most of the "big" shows I watch I watch as close to air time as possible. It's filler stuff we tend to watch whenever. All those HGTV shows my wife records, etc. That stuff we just watch whenever we're bored.

But this is why this is a growing problem as well. People with more active social lives hate people with less active social lives because the latter are the ones talking about these shows on Facebook shortly after air, where as the former are the ones trying to wait days before they actually watch. It makes the whole social media aspect of talking about television shows nearly impossible.

My brother, for example, works two jobs. He'll go three, four weeks at a time before watching Sons of Anarchy, but isn't really on Social Media at all, so it's a little easier for him not to watch and not have it spoiled. Whenever I see him, I just ask him how far he is before going any farther into discussion about it.

FG is one of those shows I watch when it records, but with Sunday nights being such a major conflict, it almost always gets bumped out of the rotation, so unless I remember to download it, I tend to miss it.

I'll probably download this episode though.

Also:

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-25%20at%2012.16.26%20PM.png

This spits in the face of this being a "spoiler". The official FB page for Family Guy posted that.

WTF visits the family guy facebook page?

And didn't you create a password protected subforum to protect yourself against spoilers of your favorite show?

Also:

This spits in the face of this being a "spoiler". The official FB page for Family Guy posted that.

Because it's freakin' Family Guy. The punchline isn't that Brian died. The punchline is how it happened.

This is a publicity thing. No one was talking about this show before this, and it's an attempt to get some viewers.

WTF visits the family guy facebook page?

And didn't you create a password protected subforum to protect yourself against spoilers of your favorite show?

No, I created a password protected sub-forum to protect everyone from spoilers of a show based on an incredibly popular book series, that follows them nearly implicitly. It became nearly impossible to have separate discussions between the show and the books with how many users were actively reading the latter.

This is also covered here:

We do, however, have notable exceptions (where the thread title will include a note about NOT sharing spoilers) like in the case of our Game of Thrones discussion, and that's simply because that program is not based on the same principles as most scripted television. Instead, it's based on a series of books that can quickly, and easily "spoil" information for others who are not or do not intend to read said books.

The same would apply tomorrow if the Harry Potter series were coming to television, or something like that. Anything with major popularity in both worlds. The Walking Dead is pretty close, but the number of users watching it and specifically reading the comics isn't nearly as large as GOT.

Because it's freakin' Family Guy. The punchline isn't that Brian died. The punchline is how it happened.

This is a publicity thing. No one was talking about this show before this, and it's an attempt to get some viewers.

I get that. I'm just saying, that's how things work still. The industry standard is still the national broadcast. This proves it. That's all I'm saying.

I realize it's changing, but it's gonna be a bit before the cable grip really lets loose.

Also:

It actually doesn't. If I don't want to know what happened on FG, I don't go to the FG FB or web site. Then I sign on here and the thread title is "Brian's Dead", that's exactly what a spoiler is. I think we already agreed the thread title was a spoiler, I don't know what that's now being disputed.

Why not make it "Family Guy"? Or "For Those Who Watched Family Guy Last Night ONLY

".

There are 1,000 other ways to do it. I don't care because I don't watch new episodes of FG, but eventually it's going to happen [again] to a show that I do watch. People shouldn't have to avoid a HOCKEY forum if they don't want their TELEVISION shows spoiled. It's the principle.

Archived