Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Re-Emergence of Brad Richards

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    This is the last time I'm doing this. The cap calculator is broken when it comes to trades of a player with recapture. It's been broken for a long time.

Here's the reality. We're on the hook for the benefit in cap advantage we've received. If we trade him, from the moment we trade him, we are on the hook for all the cap advantage we've received up till that point and the new team is only responsible for the cap advantage they receive.

In short, if Richards never played a game this season but retired without us being able to buy him out, or if we traded him in preseason, we would be on the hook for:

Payroll: $24M
    Cap hit: $13.3M

Cap savings: $10.7M.

That $10.7M in savings will be charged to us. How it's spread out depends on when he retires. The only way it could get lowered would be if he actually plays in the final 3 years of his contract or we buy him out at the end of this season.

Oh, btw, that $10.7M has already gone up for the 3 games he's played so far. If he finishes the season with us, that recapture goes up another $2.34M.

Again, the only way that number is going away is if is bought out. The only way that number is going down is if he plays into the final 3 years of his contract and even then, unless he completes the entire deal, there would be some recapture.

The only magic bullet other than a buyout is death. And I mean that in the literal sense.

As I said, this is the last time I'm going over this.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    So, assuming he had a career ending injury this year - We'd be on the hook for 13.04M across the remaining 6 years of his contract?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Member Mite Division Barry Beck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    So, assuming he had a career ending injury this year - We'd be on the hook for 13.04M across the remaining 6 years of his contract?

I think in that case you can LTIR him each year but the cap hit would be there in the offseason.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Correct. He could be placed on LTIR to start every season, same as Pronger is with the Flyers, but his cap hit comes back on the cap every summer, which can really fuck things up.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division Thump23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Correct. He could be placed on LTIR to start every season, same as Pronger is with the Flyers, but his cap hit comes back on the cap every summer, which can really fuck things up.
    Aren't you allowed to be over the cap in the summer?

If it was near the end of the season, yes. That's probably why he got this chance. Worst case scenario, we can't buy him out and face a $2M/year cap charge for the next 6 years.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump23 View Post
    Aren't you allowed to be over the cap in the summer?
    By ten percent, yes. Which helps, somewhat, but even in a rising cap world, it's still money you may actually need to get players signed when it's just sitting there being used against you when free agency opens, for example. The only matter in which it really helps you is with your own RFA's who do not have arbitration rights. You can wait those players out right to the edge (like Stepan), but it can also take you out of the running for a guy when you know you're too close to the cap.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Re: Richards, two ends of the sprectrum.

One end, people that see after the first two games a rejuvenated Richards, and a first-line force to be reckoned with. These people tend to be optimistic, and see the bright side of things. At the other end, people that see the first two games as an aberration, and soon Richards will be the player that had to be benched in the playoffs last year. These people tend to be cynics, and cautious about blind faith. Most of us are somewhere in the middle, with a wait and see approach. But you can tell something about yourself about whether you are more optimistic or cynical after the first two games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    I don't think you can put people in buckets like that based on their feelings about one (polarizing) player.
    most of us in the middle
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

HNIC BSBH Legend
    most of us in the middle
    I know, I read that part. But I'm cynical about richards after 2 or 3 games, I don't think that says anything about me. There are other players I wouldn't be cynical about after the same amount of games. I'm cynical about Richards not because I'm cynical, but because Brad Richards.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    He's been the best player every game this season. He looks so refreshed. He's looking to create offense, he's getting chances, he's shooting, he's making plays left and right.
    He's Brad Richards. Not whatever he became last season.

Barring some drastic change in style of play, age or injury are the only things that will hold him back this season.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

I know, I read that part. But I'm cynical about richards after 2 or 3 games, I don't think that says anything about me. There are other players I wouldn't be cynical about after the same amount of games. I'm cynical about Richards not because I'm cynical, but because Brad Richards.
    You're cynical about Richards, Hank, Callahan, Hagelin, Girardi and Kreider. Who'd I miss?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    You're cynical about Richards, Hank, Callahan, Hagelin, Girardi and Kreider. Who'd I miss?
    That's it.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    Pyatt

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba Ba Bluey View Post
    Pyatt
    No, Pyatt just sucks.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    The helmet didn't work.

Senior Member Midget Division
    No, Pyatt just sucks.

Look into his eyes and say that....

swamped Midget Division
    Fair: you can be cynical about some players and optimistic about others. Good point.

From my experience, most fans tend to be either optimistic or cynical about their team. If they are overall optimistic, there are a few things that they can be cynical about, and vice-versa.

I tend to be cynical about my teams, but I am aware of this, and realize that I enjoy the games more if I allow more optimism/positive thinking to creep in.

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Doesn't matter if Richards puts up 100 points.
    He has to be bought out after this season.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Fair: you can be cynical about some players and optimistic about others. Good point.

From my experience, most fans tend to be either optimistic or cynical about their team. If they are overall optimistic, there are a few things that they can be cynical about, and vice-versa.

I tend to be cynical about my teams, but I am aware of this, and realize that I enjoy the games more if I allow more optimism/positive thinking to creep in.
    This is how I try to be. During the summer I think the team sucks. All season long, I pull for them.

Last night was tough to take, though.

swamped Midget Division
    This is how I try to be. During the summer I think the team sucks. All season long, I pull for them.

Last night was tough to take, though.
    Yeah, I hope we don't have too many games like that this year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast