• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vince Gilligan Credits Netflix for Breaking Bad Success

Fuhgeddaboudit

?Television has changed a lot in six years (since ?Bad? premiered),? Gilligan said to reporters after the series, which concludes its run Sept. 29, won its first drama Emmy. ?I?m no expert on the sociological elements of it, but I?ve got to think a big part of what has changed is streaming video on demand, particularly with operations like Netflix, iTunes and Amazon Prime.

?I think Netflix kept us on the air. Not only are we standing up here (with the Emmy), I don?t think our show would have even lasted beyond season two. ? It?s a new era in television, and we?ve been very fortunate to reap the benefits.?

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/breaking-bad-amc-vince-gilligan-credits-netflix-1200660762/

Interesting....

That's where I started watching it...netflix. I remember I had streaming and I said I'd give it a try.

Fell in love with the show.

Welcome to the new wave of content delivery, folks. Spacey did a whole diatribe on this speaking on behalf of Netflix a couple months ago, but every cable company on the planet has known this is coming for a few years now. The internet has grown to gargantuan levels, and the audience will always dictate not only what they want, but how they want it. The meteoric rise of companies like YouTube and Netflix has shifted the playing field greatly to the point that it's now painfully evident (well, painful for cable companies) that the means by which you supply content (at a reasonable price) to your customers is not only ever-changing, but changing right now, in the here and now. Anyone who refuses to accept this fate will go the BlackBerry way. Grow with the trend, not against it.

Fact is, few have the time or patience to sit around waiting for a wired broadcast to begin, play and end. This isn't the sixties anymore where everyone just worked 9-5, Monday through Friday, and planned their evenings around the radio program of the week. Content delivery needs to be instant these days, and it needs to be provided at a reasonable rate and across various mediums to the on-the-goers and the I'll-get-to-it-when-I-have-timers. This is what made the Netflix model such a rousing success. Not everyone has the patience or time to sit down and watch an episodic series weekly. Sometimes the best way to do so is in one big binge.

Long story short, and to plagiarize Spacey's speech, give your customers what they want, when they want and how they want it at a reasonable price and you'll find success. Period.

That's how I started it. Watched seasons 1 through most of 4 on Netflix. When it comes to TV, Netflix is definitely great. I've watched countless series that I otherwise wouldn't have on it. Movies, not so much.

As for another Gilligan show, on Netflix, fuck yea. Netflix has struck gold since its first two flops. As long as cable providers don't gang up on Netflix, I think it will grow to be a clear competitor in the TV industry.

Welcome to the new wave of content delivery, folks. Spacey did a whole diatribe on this speaking on behalf of Netflix a couple months ago, but every cable company on the planet has known this is coming for a few years now. The internet has grown to gargantuan levels, and the audience will always dictate not only what they want, but how they want it. The meteoric rise of companies like YouTube and Netflix has shifted the playing field greatly to the point that it's now painfully evident (well, painful for cable companies) that the means by which you supply content (at a reasonable price) to your customers is not only ever-changing, but changing right now, in the here and now. Anyone who refuses to accept this fate will go the BlackBerry way. Grow with the trend, not against it.

Fact is, few have the time or patience to sit around waiting for a wired broadcast to begin, play and end. This isn't the sixties anymore where everyone just worked 9-5, Monday through Friday, and planned their evenings around the radio program of the week. Content delivery needs to be instant these days, and it needs to be provided at a reasonable rate and across various mediums to the on-the-goers and the I'll-get-to-it-when-I-have-timers. This is what made the Netflix model such a rousing success. Not everyone has the patience or time to sit down and watch an episodic series weekly. Sometimes the best way to do so is in one big binge.

Long story short, and to plagiarize Spacey's speech, give your customers what they want, when they want and how they want it at a reasonable price and you'll find success. Period.

But the cable companies are offering something for no additional charge, that you need to pay for a netflix subscription to get with free on-demand services. It's actually putting a pretty big dent in Netflix profit margin, and if the cable companies continue to be allowed to put these shows on demand while the season is still going on, you will see Netflix offer less and less to have this these shows available, which means they won't carry them anymore

That's how I started it. Watched seasons 1 through most of 4 on Netflix. When it comes to TV, Netflix is definitely great. I've watched countless series that I otherwise wouldn't have on it. Movies, not so much.

As for another Gilligan show, on Netflix, fuck yea. Netflix has struck gold since its first two flops. As long as cable providers don't gang up on Netflix, I think it will grow to be a clear competitor in the TV industry.

First three, actually. Derek is going to be a rousing success, even though it's only seven episodes.

Orange is the New Black and House of Cards are both already critically acclaimed.

It sucks though because now you're going to be forced to sign up for netflix streaming AND paying for cable...

Now you'll have to pick and choose OR get all of it for a ton of $$$

But the cable companies are offering something for no additional charge, that you need to pay for a netflix subscription to get with free on-demand services. It's actually putting a pretty big dent in Netflix profit margin, and if the cable companies continue to be allowed to put these shows on demand while the season is still going on, you will see Netflix offer less and less to have this these shows available, which means they won't carry them anymore

Which is why the model will change. Eventually, the broadcasters will be forced to break away from the age-old "package programming" platform they've used to dupe cable customers into paying obscene amounts for a month by taking their broadcast online where it can be purchased in "single-payer" mode. Someone who wants AMC should, by all accounts, be able to somehow pay AMC Networks for direct access to it, or it's programming.

Which is why the model will change. Eventually, the broadcasters will be forced to break away from the age-old "package programming" platform they've used to dupe cable customers into paying obscene amounts for a month by taking their broadcast online where it can be purchased in "single-payer" mode. Someone who wants AMC should, by all accounts, be able to somehow pay AMC Networks for direct access to it, or it's programming.

That's what I was hoping for, something like that...But hopefully it's not expensive.

Netflix delivers its content on many devices/mediums. Cable companies attempt that but their delivery is lacking. Why would I care about on-demand episodes of shows that are in season when I can't watch them anywhere except my TV? I'll just use my DVR.

More content is going to Netflix. So now if you like House of Cards let's say...you'll have to get netflix streaming and still pay for cable because you'll still have Breaking bad, mad men and all those shows on there.

You don't have to. You can pay for Netflix and just wait. Or pay for something like Netflix and Hulu Plus (to get current episodes of shows, sans AMC), which still costs less than cable.

You don't have to. You can pay for Netflix and just wait. Or pay for something like Netflix and Hulu Plus (to get current episodes of shows, sans AMC), which still costs less than cable.

Hulu Plus has AMC stuff? I didn't even know, that's cool.

I wish showtime/HBO was a little cheaper. Any way you can get just HBO/show time without cable?

This will never ever happen because of how much these networks make from the cable subscriptions. The amount they make from Netflix is tiny compared to how much they make off of subscriptions

Its no additional charge, BUT, considering how much a cable contract is monthly, Netflix is by far the cheaper option. At my house, we have Optimum Silver, which is most networks, plus HBO, Starz, and Showtime. But its $89.95/Month. And essentially you are paying for maybe 20 channels you actively watch.

I rarely watch a show that is on the traditional networks(FOX, NBC, etc.). I really only watch shows on AMC and HBO. I feel like if even one of those companies began offering their own online service, that you don't need a TV contract for, I'd terminate that silver package in a heartbeat.

Netflix delivers its content on many devices/mediums. Cable companies attempt that but their delivery is lacking. Why would I care about on-demand episodes of shows that are in season when I can't watch them anywhere except my TV? I'll just use my DVR.

Its no additional charge, BUT, considering how much a cable contract is monthly, Netflix is by far the cheaper option. At my house, we have Optimum Silver, which is most networks, plus HBO, Starz, and Showtime. But its $89.95/Month. And essentially you are paying for maybe 20 channels you actively watch.

I rarely watch a show that is on the traditional networks(FOX, NBC, etc.). I really only watch shows on AMC and HBO. I feel like if even one of those companies began offering their own online service, that you don't need a TV contract for, I'd terminate that silver package in a heartbeat.

Stop paying for cable and see what happens to the quality of programming you watch

Hulu Plus has AMC stuff? I didn't even know, that's cool.

I wish showtime/HBO was a little cheaper. Any way you can get just HBO/show time without cable?

I said "sans", so, no, it doesn't have AMC.

The point is you have to make sacrifices when you pay less. You save money by going with Netflix and/or Hulu Plus vs. cable. But you lose the ability to watch some shows as they air. That might be a big deal for a lot of people, but not such a big deal for some.

This will never ever happen because of how much these networks make from the cable subscriptions. The amount they make from Netflix is tiny compared to how much they make off of subscriptions

It sure will, because while these companies still make a substantial amount on cable subscriptions, the trend is headed south. They're not making nearly what they did or "should", and that's because the business model is in need of change. Companies like Hulu, YouTube and Netflix are proving that.

Content needs to find it's way to being streamed/aired or distributed after the fact to tablets, mobile/smart phones, laptops, desktops and any other devices that aren't anchored to the wall in your living room. There's no getting around this fact. It's where the trend points, and where it will end up at one point or another. How long it takes remains to be seen, but I have zero doubt that the era of the living room television is a dying one.

Stop paying for cable and see what happens to the quality of programming you watch

It will go down if you continue to pay the alternatives, because the alternatives don't have access to the monopoly that TWC, Comcast, etc. still have their grip on. This is why internet pirating is where it is today. It's why "thieves" steal access to movies and television shows at an alarming rate instead of paying over for a platform they know no longer fits their desire.

Again, this is why the business model has, and will change. It's a matter of when, not if.

As it stands right now, I couldn't. HBO and AMC are really what keeps us paying for cable. But I think that the more successful sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube become, the better chance existing networks look to have their own independent online services.

Archived