• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

AMC's 'Better Call Saul'

Phil

http://gothamist.com/2013/09/11/breaking_bad_spinoff_better_call_sa.php

According to Deadline, the series?tentatively titled Better Call Saul?will be a one-hour prequel that will focus on the evolution of the Goodman character before he ever became Walter White?s lawyer. It has a series order pending the complication of Sony TV?s deals with Vince Gilligan, character creator/writer Peter Gould and Odenkirk. Don't underestimate how important Gould is to all this:

TV writers are cautiously excited about the prequel: "'Cause somebody asked, here's what I'd want from #BetterCallSaul prequel: Light serialization, more breezy procedural. Like Rockford Files," tweeted media studies professor Jason Mittell. "#BetterCallSaul faces impossible task in fan expectations to be just like BB. It needs to clearly be totally different in tone." It does seem as though the show would work better in 30 minute installments as opposed to Breaking Bad's hour long tensionfests, but as long as Huell is along for the ride, we'll be happy to see what they come up with.

• 3 months later...
AMC's hit drama Breaking Bad, which ended its acclaimed five-season run in September, will live on in a previously announced spinoff about quirky criminal lawyer Saul Goodman.

On Monday, we learned that the series ? titled Better Call Saul after Goodman's office slogan ? has found a home for when it's finished airing on AMC in 2014: Netflix.

Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan earlier this year told Mashable that the show may have met its demise after season two had it not been for streaming video on demand, as it ushered in new viewers and encouraged time-starved people to keep watching at their own pace. The result? The series saw enormous growth in viewership from season to season.

"I think Netflix kept us on the air," Gilligan said in September at the Emmy Awards.

http://mashable.com/2013/12/16/breaking-bad-better-call-saul-spinoff-netflix/

• 1 year later...
Same. I actually just saw the first two episodes. My only gripe is how I've already seen two characters from Bbw, one being fairly prominent.

Sure, but Mike worked with Saul as a PI on occasion, so they have to have some history.

I love it so far, personally. I had my doubts about Bob Odenkirk being able to carry a show by himself, but he's terrific. It doesn't try to be Breaking Bad, and that's what makes it great. The show has its own distinctive vibe and artistic influence, but in a way it seems like it parallel's Walter's descent in to the criminal world. You see Jimmy as someone absolutely desperate for money, but who is (for the most part) unwilling to bend on his scruples (with the exception of the whole "Slippin' Jimmy" fiasco), even when it means an end to his financial woes.

Very, very well done, and I'm already invested.

I know they had to introduce guys at some point but still. Mike was obvious and I have no problem with how they introduce him.

tuco? It's too coincidental to me this early on in the show to have him around.

Yeah, I get that. Only thought is that it introduces a character, the one who comes to visit him at his "office", and drives what I assume will be a big story point.

Archived