Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 281

Thread: Racist Team Mascots

  1. #41
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    3,834
    Rep Power
    32
    all woman should be offended by the crimson tide's name.

    every teenage boy should be offended about the Yankees.

  2. #42
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    70
    My wife taught high school on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico for a few years. She finally quit because, in her words, she got tired of seeing her brightest students get pregnant or commit suicide. Reservation life can be pretty grim with the high alcoholism/drug abuse, pregnancy rates, suicide rates, poor education provided and limited economic opportunities.

    Well, get a degree, right? Because of the subpar schooling, the best college opportunity is generally a two year associate degree, with the possibility of transitioning into a four year degree program. In addition to normal homesickness, you have to adapt to a largely alien lifestyle/culture once you leave the reservation. Can be a tough choice - living among family and kin on reservation with limited job prospects, or try and make your way in the outside world.

    You want to relax and watch a little football or baseball? Face the constant reminder that you are a second class citizen in a society that thinks it's OK to falsely parody your culture and traditions, and tells you that they are honoring your proud people. Try dressing up in blackface, wear a grass skirt, stick a bone through our nose, carry a spear and shield, and tell your African-American friend that you are honoring his/her African heritage.

    Once we finally get rid of offensive mascots, our kids or grandkids are going to look back at racist mascots the same way we view the period in American history when women and blacks couldn't vote. What kind of crazy logic was there?
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  3. #43
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    My wife taught high school on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico for a few years. She finally quit because, in her words, she got tired of seeing her brightest students get pregnant or commit suicide. Reservation life can be pretty grim with the high alcoholism/drug abuse, pregnancy rates, suicide rates, poor education provided and limited economic opportunities.

    Well, get a degree, right? Because of the subpar schooling, the best college opportunity is generally a two year associate degree, with the possibility of transitioning into a four year degree program. In addition to normal homesickness, you have to adapt to a largely alien lifestyle/culture once you leave the reservation. Can be a tough choice - living among family and kin on reservation with limited job prospects, or try and make your way in the outside world.

    You want to relax and watch a little football or baseball? Face the constant reminder that you are a second class citizen in a society that thinks it's OK to falsely parody your culture and traditions, and tells you that they are honoring your proud people. Try dressing up in blackface, wear a grass skirt, stick a bone through our nose, carry a spear and shield, and tell your African-American friend that you are honoring his/her African heritage.

    Once we finally get rid of offensive mascots, our kids or grandkids are going to look back at racist mascots the same way we view the period in American history when women and blacks couldn't vote. What kind of crazy logic was there?
    Completely agree. Other than capitalism, there's no good reason to keep these offensive mascots. None. And there are plenty of good reasons to get rid of them.

  4. #44
    \_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,193
    Rep Power
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    Of course it gets a roll of the eyes from you. You have no reason to be offended. Perhaps if your ancestors were slaughtered by a group of people and then a couple hundred years later, their ancestors made a pro sports team insulting your ancestors you might feel differently. As far as the Irish, no one here slaughtered them and calling someone Irish isn't an insult. No one complains about the Seminoles. Why? Because naming a team after the Seminoles isn't an insult.

    Redskins is. It's a racial slur.

    And by the way, your logic is completely flawed. Just because some people are over sensitive doesn't mean that nothing is insensitive. It's like saying that a woman getting offended because of a mild sexual joke and another woman who got raped should both get over it because "everyone is too sensitive".

    Native Americans have been bothered by these sports team names for as long as they've been around. This isn't new. It's just stupid that nothing has changed. It's ignorant that nothing has changed.
    They were savages, they slaughtered and ate each other too
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

    Regards,

    Patrick Bateman

    Sent from my iPhone

  5. #45
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Yea, I think that's the key to helping out the native Americans. Change the names of sports teams. That will go miles towards solving their problems.

    This is what I mean. They have far larger issues to be worried about. This is like putting a band-aid on a finger prick when you have a gunshot wound hemorrhaging.

  6. #46
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    They were savages, they slaughtered and ate each other too
    The colonists slaughtering the Indians weren't exactly pacifists. And they're the ones who wrote the histories, so they had a vested interest in making their actions seem justified.

  7. #47
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Yea, I think that's the key to helping out the native Americans. Change the names of sports teams. That will go miles towards solving their problems.

    This is what I mean. They have far larger issues to be worried about. This is like putting a band-aid on a finger prick when you have a gunshot wound hemorrhaging.
    A big problem in the Native American population is that they've never assimilated with their oppressors. And why haven't they? Because they still live on the lands they were forced into and their oppressors still use their culture as a joke.

    These are the problems we see in a lot of racial situations. Why do we find a block in regards to the integration of Blacks, Hispanics, American Indians and Muslims that we don't find with Asians, Irish, Jewish, Russians, etc?

  8. #48
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    A big problem in the Native American population is that they've never assimilated with their oppressors. And why haven't they? Because they still live on the lands they were forced into and their oppressors still use their culture as a joke.

    These are the problems we see in a lot of racial situations. Why do we find a block in regards to the integration of Blacks, Hispanics, American Indians and Muslims that we don't find with Asians, Irish, Jewish, Russians, etc?
    These people aren't making excuses, and some other people are?

    Sorry, but if some people are going to say that the reason they can't be successful is because the football team in Washington has a derogatory connotation, then I'm going to call bullshit.

  9. #49
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    These people aren't making excuses, and some other people are?

    Sorry, but if some people are going to say that the reason they can't be successful is because the football team in Washington has a derogatory connotation, then I'm going to call bullshit.
    Blacks were slaves. Indians were slaughtered. Hispanics are being used as cheap labor. Arabs are viewed as the enemy.

    Irish, Jewish and Russians are all white. Asians have bucked that trend, but they came here seeking out a better life just like their white counterparts. They all faced racism and bigotry, for sure, but not the same institutional oppression for as long a period of time.

    Arabs were doing the best here until 9/11 and are still doing pretty well in spite of it. They chose to come here. Hispanics came here voluntarily, but a large portion came over illegally, so they face a tougher road. Still, considering that, they're doing pretty well for themselves. The Blacks and Indians are doing the worst. They got the worst treatment and weren't Americans by choice, but by force. They both at times had the full weight and force of the American government approving their mistreatment.

    Or you know, they're just making excuses.

  10. #50
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    Blacks were slaves. Indians were slaughtered. Hispanics are being used as cheap labor. Arabs are viewed as the enemy.

    Irish, Jewish and Russians are all white. Asians have bucked that trend, but they came here seeking out a better life just like their white counterparts. They all faced racism and bigotry, for sure, but not the same institutional oppression for as long a period of time.

    Arabs were doing the best here until 9/11 and are still doing pretty well in spite of it. They chose to come here. Hispanics came here voluntarily, but a large portion came over illegally, so they face a tougher road. Still, considering that, they're doing pretty well for themselves. The Blacks and Indians are doing the worst. They got the worst treatment and weren't Americans by choice, but by force. They both at times had the full weight and force of the American government approving their mistreatment.

    Or you know, they're just making excuses.
    Yea, when you're wasting your time on a sports team name, you're making an excuse 100%. Your people have bigger problems than this, and this is what your leadership is spending time on? That's what would outrage me, were I a NA.

  11. #51
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Yea, I think that's the key to helping out the native Americans. Change the names of sports teams. That will go miles towards solving their problems.

    This is what I mean. They have far larger issues to be worried about. This is like putting a band-aid on a finger prick when you have a gunshot wound hemorrhaging.
    A man is starving, barefoot, and about to walk through a field filled with thorns. Is the right response - let's not worry about giving him shoes, he should be worried about not having enough food to eat?
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  12. #52
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    A man is starving, barefoot, and about to walk through a field filled with thorns. Is the right response - let's not worry about giving him shoes, he should be worried about not having enough food to eat?
    That's not an accurate analogy.

  13. #53
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    These people aren't making excuses, and some other people are?

    Sorry, but if some people are going to say that the reason they can't be successful is because the football team in Washington has a derogatory connotation, then I'm going to call bullshit.
    The economics of American Indian nations are largely independent of what sports franchises are called. But racism reinforces stereotypes, and a way of looking at people. Subconciously, are you less likely to hire an American Indian as an accountant or lawyer if you picture him looking like a mascot? Maybe if you think blacks are lazy, or jews are greedy, you might also believe Indians are alcoholics.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  14. #54
    swamped Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    That's not an accurate analogy.
    Why not?
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  15. #55
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Why not?
    If you consider a team name on par with this, then the analogy is accurate.

  16. #56
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Yea, when you're wasting your time on a sports team name, you're making an excuse 100%. Your people have bigger problems than this, and this is what your leadership is spending time on? That's what would outrage me, were I a NA.
    It's one thing their leadership is spending time on. It's not the only thing. And perhaps if you were a NA, you might feel differently when your culture was being mocked hundreds of days each year on national television.

  17. #57
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    If you consider a team name on par with this, then the analogy is accurate.
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/America...rrent_problems

    Today the discrimination of American Indians is not as omnipresent and publicly expressed as in the past, probably because of the Native American resistance movement in the past century. Its traces, however, are still there: for example in the names of many US sports teams like “Cleveland Indians” or “Washington Redskins”, in commercial television or advertising using the image of the strong Indian for their purposes, or in the suggestions of some politicians to terminate the self-determination or existence of single tribes.

  18. #58
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    It's one thing their leadership is spending time on. It's not the only thing. And perhaps if you were a NA, you might feel differently when your culture was being mocked hundreds of days each year on national television.
    Try again.

    Jersey Shore.
    Sopranos.
    Mob Wives.

    Please don't make me continue, you're barking up the wrong tree.

  19. #59
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,388
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Try again.

    Jersey Shore.
    Sopranos.
    Mob Wives.

    Please don't make me continue, you're barking up the wrong tree.
    That's members of your ethnicity cashing in. Not the same thing at all. And last I checked, Italians were never slaughtered here in the US.

  20. #60
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    So it's OK to rag on a culture that didn't die?

    Please stop, Dave, you're all over the place.

    The NA's should spend their time addressing serious problems. Serious. Problems.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •