Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Team Mascots

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    We better not piss off Paul Rangers family ancestors.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    That doesn't mean that nothing is offensive any more, though. Any other ethnic or racial slur as the name of a sports team would be obviously offensive. We have hundred million dollar sports franchises that use slurs as names of a group of people who we slaughtered and who's land we took. If we had the Kentucky Coons and their logo were slave chains, do you think that would be OK?
    Sorry Dave, but this just gets a big . Everyone is not a victim, especially not because of a team name.

The answer to this is "Get a fuckin' grip".

You want to get rid of the Redskins? Get rid of the Blackhawks, it's offensive. Get rid of the Indians. Let's just go with team animals until someone gets offended on behalf of their pets.

Gotta draw a line somewhere, and this is just fuckin' dumb, IMO.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I just saw that "devil" is a racist slur against whites. Who knew.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    What's wrong with a pro sports franchises using a racially insensitive name that demeans a group of people we all but exterminated? Maybe there should be a German football team named the Hamburg Hebes?
    I actually had to google that, but what do you mean? The plant from New Zealand or the goddess from Greece.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    I actually had to google that, but what do you mean? The plant from New Zealand or the goddess from Greece.
    Hebes is a slang word for Hebrews or Jews.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    The Boston Celtics logo clearly depicts a drunk Irishman. I'm offended!!!!

What about Notre Dame? I'm pissed now, too.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    What about Notre Dame? I'm pissed now, too.
    Why? They're the Fighting Irish, not the Screaming Irish Guy In The Penalty Box.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hebes is a slang word for Hebrews or Jews.
    I know, I looked it up, but I wanted to joke about how obscure the word actually is. Especially if he wants to name a german team that way.
    Also I had a feeling like he was talking to me, but didn't really know why he wanted to attack me.

I still have no problem with renaming the Redskins, if someone can show me the stats that say that a majority of Native Americans feels offended aka I want to know if it's really a problem or if it's a few activists and media guys creating one.

Senior Member Midget Division
    The Redskins franchise has been around since 1932. They were originally named the Boston Braves until 1937.

They've had a "racist" name for over 80 years. It might be time for some to get over it and move on.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    I know, I looked it up, but I wanted to joke about how obscure the word actually is. Especially if he wants to name a german team that way.
    Also I had a feeling like he was talking to me, but didn't really know why he wanted to attack me.

I still have no problem with renaming the Redskins, if someone can show me the stats that say that a majority of Native Americans feels offended aka I want to know if it's really a problem or if it's a few activists and media guys creating one.
    I wasn't talking about you, specifically. I was drawing a parallel to the German's history with the Jewish race and the American's history with the Indians. Both in the past tried to exterminate them. So it would be offensive to then name a sporting team using a racial slur against them. Or really anyone. It's just so unnecessary and unenlightened.

Sorry Dave, but this just gets a big . Everyone is not a victim, especially not because of a team name.

The answer to this is "Get a fuckin' grip".

You want to get rid of the Redskins? Get rid of the Blackhawks, it's offensive. Get rid of the Indians. Let's just go with team animals until someone gets offended on behalf of their pets.

Gotta draw a line somewhere, and this is just fuckin' dumb, IMO.
    Of course it gets a roll of the eyes from you. You have no reason to be offended. Perhaps if your ancestors were slaughtered by a group of people and then a couple hundred years later, their ancestors made a pro sports team insulting your ancestors you might feel differently. As far as the Irish, no one here slaughtered them and calling someone Irish isn't an insult. No one complains about the Seminoles. Why? Because naming a team after the Seminoles isn't an insult.

Redskins is. It's a racial slur.

And by the way, your logic is completely flawed. Just because some people are over sensitive doesn't mean that nothing is insensitive. It's like saying that a woman getting offended because of a mild sexual joke and another woman who got raped should both get over it because "everyone is too sensitive".

Native Americans have been bothered by these sports team names for as long as they've been around. This isn't new. It's just stupid that nothing has changed. It's ignorant that nothing has changed.

Way to sensationalize....just about everything.

Way to sensationalize....just about everything.
    It's only sensational because you can't relate to it. Your argument is basically that it's fine to be racist against a group no one really cares about. That's a great place to stand.

It's only sensational because you can't relate to it. Your argument is basically that it's fine to be racist against a group no one really cares about. That's a great place to stand.
    That's not my argument, but since you've already made up your mind about the words you've put in my mouth, you can just keep arguing with yourself.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I'm part Puerto Rican and I have some native blood in me, but for the most part I can never say I can relate to the Native American situation and experiece, but I believe they have every right to be upset over the racial use of their ancestry. I may think it's a little petty, but again who am I? I haven't lived that life.

Could one imagine if a sports team out there decided to become the IE, NY "Hebrews" and planted a picture of mans profile with a big nose and curls coming down from his hair? The Jewish community would be up in arms and outraged, and rightfully so.

I don't want to enflame this any more or take sides because I think both you and Peetie are two of the brightest posters on here, but I have to agree with you here.
    Last edited by I am Scags; 09-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.

That's not my argument, but since you've already made up your mind about the words you've put in my mouth, you can just keep arguing with yourself.
    You haven't clearly made an argument. You've just complained about oversensitivity recently. This isn't a recent problem though. It's just a long standing problem that popped up again in the news recently. This isn't a Dunkin Donuts commercial from a few weeks ago. This is an issue that's been around for 100 years.

Because I'm not having an argument. My opinion is that for all the things Native Americans should be angry over, this should be low on the list, and probably would be low on the list for me, if I were NA.

But if you really want to view everyone as a victim and live with the White Guilt your whole life and create a PC world where no one is ever offended by anything, you can try. But it's going to be real hard because someone is always offended by something.

Unless you're a straight white male, then you aren't allowed to be offended.

Unless you like fashion, and people think you're gay just because you like fashion. Then, maybe, you can be offended by that. Maybe.

Because I'm not having an argument. My opinion is that for all the things Native Americans should be angry over, this should be low on the list, and probably would be low on the list for me, if I were NA.

But if you really want to view everyone as a victim and live with the White Guilt your whole life and create a PC world where no one is ever offended by anything, you can try. But it's going to be real hard because someone is always offended by something.

Unless you're a straight white male, then you aren't allowed to be offended.

Unless you like fashion, and people think you're gay just because you like fashion. Then, maybe, you can be offended by that. Maybe.
    Again, this isn't a new thing. Native Americans have been complaining about the racial slurs and stereo types used in sports team names and mascots since at least the 70s. I don't want to view everyone as a victim. Not everyone is. And it has nothing at all to do with White Guilt. I don't feel any guilt for what happened hundreds of years ago that I had nothing at all to do with, but that doesn't mean I just ignore that it happened either. There is a different emotion involved here than guilt. It's called "empathy".

And this isn't something that happened a hundred years ago or two hundred years ago. This is happening today. There is a professional Football team named the "Redskins".

Again, this isn't a new thing. Native Americans have been complaining about the racial slurs and stereo types used in sports team names and mascots since at least the 70s. I don't want to view everyone as a victim. Not everyone is. And it has nothing at all to do with White Guilt. I don't feel any guilt for what happened hundreds of years ago that I had nothing at all to do with, but that doesn't mean I just ignore that it happened either. There is a different emotion involved here than guilt. It's called "empathy".

And this isn't something that happened a hundred years ago or two hundred years ago. This is happening today. There is a professional Football team named the "Redskins".
    Again, this is very low on the list of things I'd be offended over.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast