Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Team Mascots

swamped Midget Division

Racist Team Mascots

As a Mets fan living in the Atlanta area, I get tired of hearing about the Braves on sports radio. But what really sends me toward the edge is the idiotic Tomahawk Chop. In a region with questionable race relations history (KKK, segregation, and the like) you can almost hear the average redneck say 'well, its getting harder and harder to keep the n***ers in their place.... at least we can go watch the Braves.'

And I'm a Giants fan, so there's that whole Daniel Snyder attitude about the Redskins mascot name.

So yeah, I'm not rational about this, but here's a piece talking about why some Native Americans find some mascots racist. Hope it is interesting to you.

http://www.nativecircle.com/mascots.htm

Rant over, go whoever plays the Braves.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    I honestly think it's all ridiculous and PC crap.

Nobody says anything about the Boston Celtics logo.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    I don't have as much of an issue with Braves or Chiefs, but I can see how Redskins is pretty questionable and the stupid tomahawk chop at Braves games is a little odd too. I was surprised to first learn the controversy is so big that the NCAA forced North Dakota to find a new moniker, because Fighting Sioux is banned.

But if Fighting Sioux is banned, why is Fighting Irish okay?
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    St. Johns used to be the Red Men.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I honestly think it's all ridiculous and PC crap.

Nobody says anything about the Boston Celtics logo.
    I get your fatigue with the PC police. It's hard when you get told what you can and cannot say all the time by bleeding hearts. People really need to be better about taking a joke and loosening up. And as a white male, I haven't experienced a lot of prejudice directed toward me. Compared to wars with the whites, systematic slaughter of the buffalo, forced marches, and reservation life, mascots may be trivial.

I just get aggravated by dumb sports fans, so am interested in other people's perspective who are almost certainly more rational than I am.

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    I'm Italian. Wanna name a team the Spaghetti Benders, or Grease Balls? Go for it. I'll even buy a jersey. Can't turn out worse than any of the ones in my sig.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Show me that the majority of native Americans is in outrage over team names and I agree with you.
    If they don't have a problem with it, I for sure don't.

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I'm Italian. Wanna name a team the Spaghetti Benders, or Grease Balls? Go for it. I'll even buy a jersey. Can't turn out worse than any of the ones in my sig.
    And if you want to call a team the Crackers, I'm fine with it. But if we go with the Birmingham Lynch Mob, or the Auschwitz Cremators, or the Kent State Rioters, some would see humor, argue that these are historic references, or think nothing of it. Others probably would be offended. The better the lifestyle or absence of prejudice, the more liable to see the humor.

I'm a big fan of animal mascots. And if you want to call yourself the Steelers or 49ers or Cobblers to honor you cities history, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    Show me that the majority of native Americans is in outrage over team names and I agree with you.
    If they don't have a problem with it, I for sure don't.
    At first I agreed with you. Then I thought, how would we know if many native Americans are in outrage? How much has the media reported about the situation in Central African Republic or Myanmar? The media makes choices about what stories they want to cover, and there are some big power players that prefer the status quo. Slavery was a wide-spread American institution. At the time, did we hear that the majority of slaves were against slavery? Or did we hear about slave works songs, slave dances, slave culture, and 'the happy Negro'.

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I don't have as much of an issue with Braves or Chiefs, but I can see how Redskins is pretty questionable and the stupid tomahawk chop at Braves games is a little odd too. I was surprised to first learn the controversy is so big that the NCAA forced North Dakota to find a new moniker, because Fighting Sioux is banned.

But if Fighting Sioux is banned, why is Fighting Irish okay?
    Good point, I would argue that it has to do with the current level of oppression/prejudice. The Wall Street Greedy Bastards might be OK with people earning a 6 figure salary. But the Ozark Food Stamp Collectors is probably less OK with people that are struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Good point, I would argue that it has to do with the current level of oppression/prejudice. The Wall Street Greedy Bastards might be OK with people earning a 6 figure salary. But the Ozark Food Stamp Collectors is probably less OK with people that are struggling.
    It's obviously a combination of historic connotation and media attention. The number of native Americans is relatively small and they aren't as common in the sports world as other minorities or groups within the country. There's been a fairly recent change in the historic views of what led to the death of so many natives, and many scholars have now concluded the majority of deaths were illness related and not because "the white man murdered them." There are many stories of settlers who are horrified to learn the whole native tribe nearby has been wiped out by an unknown force, which we now understand was the flu.

In some ways people will argue that many of these mascots and names are in honor of the natives and their image, not to mock them. Redskins is obviously really questionable, but chiefs, indians or braves don't strike me as odd and when I think of fighting Sioux I see them as proud warriors. Yeah, they are people, but Rangers are people, Cowboys are people and Mavericks are people too. The fact that it describes an attribute doesn't dehumanize them, at least, not for me.

If the Atlanta Braves were called the Atlanta Slaves, this wasn't even a discussion. The lack of outrage, for various reasons, makes it harder for people to understand the sensitivity of the names.
    Hidden Content

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    And if you want to call a team the Crackers, I'm fine with it. But if we go with the Birmingham Lynch Mob, or the Auschwitz Cremators, or the Kent State Rioters, some would see humor, argue that these are historic references, or think nothing of it. Others probably would be offended. The better the lifestyle or absence of prejudice, the more liable to see the humor.

I'm a big fan of animal mascots. And if you want to call yourself the Steelers or 49ers or Cobblers to honor you cities history, cool.

At first I agreed with you. Then I thought, how would we know if many native Americans are in outrage? How much has the media reported about the situation in Central African Republic or Myanmar? The media makes choices about what stories they want to cover, and there are some big power players that prefer the status quo. Slavery was a wide-spread American institution. At the time, did we hear that the majority of slaves were against slavery? Or did we hear about slave works songs, slave dances, slave culture, and 'the happy Negro'.
    I am pretty sure I get an article asking for the replacement of the Redskins once a year at least. One would think that by now someone would have asked them.
    There are stats for everything.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I wish some team would use a picture of me as their mascot. How cool would that be?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Oneida Indian Nation will run ads pressing NFL's Washington Redskins to change name

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013...will_runs.html

An American Indian tribe in upstate New York said Thursday it will launch a radio ad campaign pressing for the Washington Redskins to shed a name often criticized as offensive.

The Oneida Indian Nation said the first ad will run on radio stations in Washington before the team hosts the Philadelphia Eagles in its season opener Monday night. In the ad, Oneida Nation Representative Ray Halbritter says NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should "stand up to bigotry" by denouncing "the racial slur" in the team's name.

"We do not deserve to be called redskins," the Oneida leader says in the ad. "We deserve to be treated as what we are -- Americans."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    But they aren't being called Redskins, the team members are
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    If that's what they want, the Redskins should rename themselves the "Americans" and their mascot can be a blackjack dealer not paying taxes.

Hidden Content

swamped Midget Division
    Odds of Commisioner Goodell commenting on Redskins nickname: 30/1 against
    although Washington Americans.... pretty good nickname

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    What's wrong with a pro sports franchises using a racially insensitive name that demeans a group of people we all but exterminated? Maybe there should be a German football team named the Hamburg Hebes?
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    What's wrong with a pro sports franchises using a racially insensitive name that demeans a group of people we all but exterminated? Maybe there should be a German football team named the Hamburg Hebes?
    Maybe we should exterminate this term?

Seems everyone is always offended over something.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Maybe we should exterminate this term?

Seems everyone is always offended over something.
    That doesn't mean that nothing is offensive any more, though. Any other ethnic or racial slur as the name of a sports team would be obviously offensive. We have hundred million dollar sports franchises that use slurs as names of a group of people who we slaughtered and who's land we took. If we had the Kentucky Coons and their logo were slave chains, do you think that would be OK?
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast