Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 BSBH Fantasy Football League

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Since you are not in the league, your opinion counts for 2/5ths of a vote.

And it doesn't create or change anything. Should we bump up the worst of kicks so kickers are in-line with RBs?

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post

And it doesn't create or change anything. Should we bump up the worst of kicks so kickers are in-line with RBs?
    I get what you're saying, but I feel like to some degree fantasy football should emulate real life. For instance, if a kicker kicks three regular, normal distance field goals and two extra points, that'll give them 11 points in fantasy, which is the same number of points they will have gotten their team in real life. If Adrian Peterson rushes for 100 yards and two touchdowns, which would be a great game for any RB, that normally equates in fantasy leagues to 22 points. In a 6 point league for passing TDs, that would mean a QB who passes for 150 yards and 3 TDs (a solid, but not great game) gets 24 points. There's no question that what the RB did is more impressive, yet the QB is worth more in fantasy.

The kicker thing is taking the analogy a step too far IMO. Yes, a 50 yard field goal should be worth 5 points because it's a difficult and impressive kick to make, just like a 50 yard gain rushing or receiving is an impressive run/catch. A 10 yard field goal shouldn't be worth the same as a 10 yard rushing TD because it's much, much easier to do.

I don't know, I feel like I'm having trouble explaining this well. Maybe somebody else can do it better. But long story short, with how deep QB is this year, there's no reason why somebody's 5th round pick should be more valuable than somebody's 1st round pick, i.e.: Andrew Luck routinely getting you more points than Doug Martin.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    I think throwing 3 TD's is a great game.

We used to have this debate regarding fantasy hockey all the time. Some people said D scoring should be weighted more because D points are more valuable (harder to get, D not expected to score, etc), but what happens to Erik Karlsson? He scores like a forward. Same with Shea Weber (if he scores 20 goals and gets 50-60 points). You've just made these guys as/more valuable as/than Crosby or Malkin.

How is that like real life? Real life is that the NFL awards a QB 6 points for a TD so if you want fantasy to emulate real life, then score it like real life.

swamped Midget Division
    Link to join league was working, broken now. Leads to yahoo home page in Italian for me. Bongiuorno!
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect

No
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post

We used to have this debate regarding fantasy hockey all the time. Some people said D scoring should be weighted more because D points are more valuable (harder to get, D not expected to score, etc), but what happens to Erik Karlsson? He scores like a forward. Same with Shea Weber (if he scores 20 goals and gets 50-60 points). You've just made these guys as/more valuable as/than Crosby or Malkin.

How is that like real life? Real life is that the NFL awards a QB 6 points for a TD so if you want fantasy to emulate real life, then score it like real life.
    And it's not like you can play a QB in the WR slot.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Link to join league was working, broken now. Leads to yahoo home page in Italian for me. Bongiuorno!
    The link says its working for me.

Try this - http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/649633

Or I can email you an invite, just let me know where to send it.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No
    If the majority of the league wants it switched, I will switch throwing TDs to 4 pts.

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    what are we at, 3.4 people?
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    6 have joined.

swamped Midget Division
    The link says its working for me.

Try this - http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/649633

Or I can email you an invite, just let me know where to send it.
    Thanks, this link worked for me. I prefer 4 points for passing TD, but am OK with whatever the group decides.

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post

Well like I said, I felt as though I was doing a poor job explaining it. What I'm driving at is emulating real life value. For instance, if you want to make d-men as important in fantasy hockey as they are in real life, you add points (or categories) for those aspects of the game. For instance, shot blocks and hits. This way, having a guy like Weber who does it all, and is extremely valuable in real life, is also extremely valuable to your team...and not just for his points.

In football that's not really the case. For receivers it's yards and TDs, for RBs it's yards and TDs. That's pretty much it. Maybe receptions if it's a PPR league. But nobody is going to argue that David Akers is as valuable in the NFL as Adrian Peterson, and hence kickers are worth less points. Similarly, nobody will argue that Tony Romo is as valuable as Adrian Peterson, yet in a league that counts 6 points for passing TDs that could easily be the case in fantasy.

I don't know. I'm not really willing to engage in a long and protracted debate over it. Josh is right; if the league wants it that way we'll change it. I am fully aware that these are just my personal opinions, and need not (nor should not) be imposed on others if they want it another way. I'll do whatever, just explaining why my vote is for 4 points.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Well like I said, I felt as though I was doing a poor job explaining it. What I'm driving at is emulating real life value. For instance, if you want to make d-men as important in fantasy hockey as they are in real life, you add points (or categories) for those aspects of the game. For instance, shot blocks and hits. This way, having a guy like Weber who does it all, and is extremely valuable in real life, is also extremely valuable to your team...and not just for his points.

In football that's not really the case. For receivers it's yards and TDs, for RBs it's yards and TDs. That's pretty much it. Maybe receptions if it's a PPR league. But nobody is going to argue that David Akers is as valuable in the NFL as Adrian Peterson, and hence kickers are worth less points. Similarly, nobody will argue that Tony Romo is as valuable as Adrian Peterson, yet in a league that counts 6 points for passing TDs that could easily be the case in fantasy.

I don't know. I'm not really willing to engage in a long and protracted debate over it. Josh is right; if the league wants it that way we'll change it. I am fully aware that these are just my personal opinions, and need not (nor should not) be imposed on others if they want it another way. I'll do whatever, just explaining why my vote is for 4 points.
    Kickers a viewed as less important because A.) its usually a crap shoot, and B.) they all score the same amount - there is little variation between the top 2 kickers and the 28th ranked kicker.
    Putting passing TDs at 4pt essentially does the same thing for QBs. There is less importance on having a good QB.

Senior Member Bantam Division twentyseven's Avatar
    I went to that link but all I see is the league, no join option. Am I blind or stupid or both?
    Hidden Content

"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there"

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
    I went to that link but all I see is the league, no join option. Am I blind or stupid or both?
    Might have to ask the commisioner for an invite. I had a cached copy I could join.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    We only have 5 right now and the draft is tomorrow. Should we postpone?
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Senior Member Bantam Division twentyseven's Avatar
    well, like I said earlier; none of the links are working for me :/
    Hidden Content

"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there"

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    the link worked for me,is the draft set for tuesday sept.3 at 7:00 pm

PP Conundrum BSBH Prospect
    Do we have enough? Are we doing this tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by PP Conundrum View Post
    Do we have enough? Are we doing this tonight?
    I think it's a week from today, right?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast