Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [D] Ryan Graves With 4th Round (110th) Pick

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    My mistake. Read it as two separate years and forgot he played for two different teams.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Had an assist last night and was +3 in VDO 4-3 double OT win over Edm. They advance to the Memorial Cup semi-finals.
    Last edited by TwoMinutesForNothing; 05-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Great hockey on right now. Semi game is in double OT at the moment on NHL Network. Announcers are continually raving about Graves' defensive work. Rangers getting lots of mentions for picking him.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Traded to Quebec. Will be teammates with Duclair.

http://www.remparts.ca/article/ryan-...amene-a-quebec

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Traded to Quebec. Will be teammates with Duclair.

http://www.remparts.ca/article/ryan-...amene-a-quebec
    Alrighty then -- smelling hockey season approaching, as if from a great distance, but it's coming.
    Hey, It's a long way off to say "one day maybe teammates" but one never knows do one.

It's all good. Big lad. Good luck to him.

Il fut un choix de 1re ronde (9e au total) du Rocket de P.E.I. (les Islanders de Charlottetown depuis 2013) lors de la séance de sélection de la LHJMQ en 2011.
    ... il a été sélectionné par les Rangers de New York, en 4e ronde (110e au total) du repêchage d’Entrée de 2013...

Vincent Lanoue, un choix de 1re ronde en 2015 et un choix de 2e ronde en 2017.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Banned Mite Division inkreiderwetrust's Avatar
    Amazed this guy isn't getting talked about. I would put him as one of the top 50 prospects outside the NHL right now and the teams best prospect. He has taken his game to the elite prospect level. Basically, this guy is a 6'4, 225 defenseman who has a howitzer for a shot and has now learned to use it. He has 7 goals and is almost averaging a PPG in the Q. I give him one year in the AHL and then he will be a rock on our defense for over a decade. If he was drafted in the first or second round, this guy would be getting press all over the hockey world.

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/ryan-grav...-the-blue-line
    Last edited by inkreiderwetrust; 12-27-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    A rock? Let's be realistic
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

I am being realistic. I don't evaluate players by where they were drafted like 95% of fans. I look at what they did since they were drafted. Right now, Graves might be the best defenseman in the Quebec league. He has everything since his offense has taken off. If that draft was done over again, good chance Graves is a top 20 pick. What he's doing is more impressive than Nurse who was taken 7th. The OHL is by far the highest scoring league.
    Last edited by inkreiderwetrust; 12-27-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I don't know about that, at best they are equal.

I would say though that he is an intriguing prospect if only for the fact that he's huge and can skate. As for offense, he's going to have to show that he can put up points for more than 17 games to be taken seriously in that regard

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Also, 3 of his goals came in one game. But he's one to keep an eye on for sure.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    You're saying he will be a rock for over a decade in 1 year, yes that's being unrealistic at this point. That automatically makes him Ryan McDonagh 2.0. Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more for you to be right but making a bold statement like that is just premature right now.

And try staying away from the 95% blanket statements here. There are much more knowledgeable fans here than you're giving credit for.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Has anyone actually seen him play? He hasn't played much this year.

If he was a consensus stud he'd be in Montreal with Team Canada or at least invited to try out as they are and were desperate for QMJHL players to keep the politics side happy (See: Zach Fucale)

Also, the article alludes to his skating, which is always a question for a big man.

He's good, but to say that he's going to be a rock for the decade is a huge stretch. He's a big kid that's playing on a good team in a small, weak league. That's not to sat that he doesn't have talent, but when you're a big kid in the Q that takes you a long way. He's been a surprise the last two seasons, but I wouldn't get too hyped over him just yet. He hasn't played a second of professional hockey. Anything can change.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Ok, the CHL has the most talented players age 16-19 in the world (ignore this Dunny).

But even the most frozen brained Canucks (see Dunny again), will tell you that players/statistics taken from the Q when compared to the WHL or OHL are taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Ok, the CHL has the most talented players age 16-19 in the world (ignore this Dunny).

But even the most frozen brained Canucks (see Dunny again), will tell you that players/statistics taken from the Q when compared to the WHL or OHL are taken lightly.
    And especially when they're coming from a big defenseman on the third highest scoring team in the league. Big guys do well there. That's why Anthony Mantha killed it there. He didn't succeed off of skill alone. Duclair was probably the better of the two, but Mantha was 6'5" and 200 lbs. Throw him into a big league like the WHL and that changes big time.

Point totals in the Q have come down over the years. If you look at the top 20 scorers in the Q and then the OHL they have about the same amount of points. I wouldn't go crazy over Ryan simply because the sample size is just waaay too small. By the end of the season we should have a slightly better idea

The highest scoring and easiest league by far right now is the OHL. They basically don't play defense in that league. The OHL is a joke. The Q was like that 10 years ago. No longer. Even the WHL is now a higher scoring league than the Q. Also, the fact he wasn't on the WJC doesn't mean jack. Either was Duclair last year. Shows you how much the selection committee knows. Players picked for the WJC often get there by where they were drafted.

We had a ton of fans dismissing what Duclair did last year. I said there was a good chance he could make the team. People in our fan base lost their mind. So much for their knowledge. Graves is on a very strong, offensive team. There are some high draft picks on that team and a 17 year old forward that is quickly rising up the draft charts. Basically, he has some offensive talent to bring out his offensive talent. When the seasons ends, you'll be sitting there looking back on this thread saying three words. "I was wrong."

Problem with a lot of fans in our fan base is they believe the anti-NY crap spouted by the stupid media who hates NY. Every year I hear our farm system sucks. Every year this team produces at least one good, NHL rookie while all these other teams basically produce jack. This year the team was developing 4 rookies. Not one. Four. Duclair, Hayes, Fast and Miller. So much for the lousy farm system.
    Last edited by Morphinity; 12-28-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing Teeth View Post
    You're saying he will be a rock for over a decade in 1 year, yes that's being unrealistic at this point. That automatically makes him Ryan McDonagh 2.0. Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more for you to be right but making a bold statement like that is just premature right now.

And try staying away from the 95% blanket statements here. There are much more knowledgeable fans here than you're giving credit for.
    Evaluating players at this level is not an easy thing to do for even professional scouts. They ones that aren't obvious generational talents will continue to get their chances. No one can say for sure what each player will be, especially with small sample sizes at junior level. With that said, we all obviously hope all of our draft picks pan out.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by inkreiderwetrust View Post
    This shows you have a complete lack of knowledge of current junior hockey. The highest scoring and easiest league by far right now is the OHL. They basically don't play defense in that league. The OHL is a joke. The Q was like that 10 years ago. No longer. Even the WHL is now a higher scoring league than the Q. Also, the fact he wasn't on the WJC doesn't mean jack. Either was Duclair last year. Shows you how much the selection committee knows. Players picked for the WJC often get there by where they were drafted.

We had a ton of fans dismissing what Duclair did last year. I said there was a good chance he could make the team. People in our fan base lost their mind. So much for their knowledge. Graves is on a very strong, offensive team. There are some high draft picks on that team and a 17 year old forward that is quickly rising up the draft charts. Basically, he has some offensive talent to bring out his offensive talent. When the seasons ends, you'll be sitting there looking back on this thread saying three words. "I was wrong."

Problem with a lot of fans in our fan base is they believe the anti-NY crap spouted by the stupid media who hates NY. Every year I hear our farm system sucks. Every year this team produces at least one good, NHL rookie while all these other teams basically produce jack. This year the team was developing 4 rookies. Not one. Four. Duclair, Hayes, Fast and Miller. So much for the lousy farm system.
    1. Slow your roll. Before you start accusing Dunny of anything, don't accuse him of lacking any knowledge of the CHL. There isn't a bigger proponent of junior hockey on this board and it's not even close. If there are people here that I trust to assess junior hockey, Dunny is one of them.

2. The QMJHL has a reputation for being a smaller, weaker league. I've watched games in the Q and I'm not exactly impressed with the level of defense. I'll say this before and I'll say it again, look at a guy like Anthony Mantha. Guy has skill, but he's a giant. He could knock around the Q with ease. Throw him in the WHL where there are good defenseman that are used to his level of physicality and everything changes. Alternatively, throw someone like Jake Virtanen into the Q and watch his offensive numbers go up. The Q isn't a strong league.

3. Don't act like you know how everyone on this board thinks or that suddenly we all have a mass opinion that you disagree with. If we were all lacking in your knowledge, what's the point of joining the board if you have to deal with our naivety. But that's ultimately not the case. Many here are and were informed of Duclair. Just because you thought he'd be good doesn't suddenly make you a higher being. So did many other people. Other people had greatly tempered expectations. Even after his showing at camp, I personally wasn't ready to let him grow on me yet. He needs time to develop. Just because he made the team doesn't mean anything. He made it, but he hasn't stuck. Once the WJC ends he should be back in the Q. Why? Because he's not ready yet.

4. You said yourself, Graves is on an offensive team. I don't see you talking about Troy Donnay the same way. He's doing well offensively. Graves might be better offensively than Donnay, but let's not suddenly act like Graves has had a touch of Bobby Orr in him that has only suddenly emerged. He has potential to be good, but to make bold predictions that he'll be a rock for the next ten years is extreme. To say that he's only two seasons away from the NHL is extreme. The kid hasn't played a second of hockey against men. When he does, and if he does produce the same way, let me know. He hasn't done that yet, so try not to be so aggressive about a hypothetical.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast